PNW Spear Fishing Education...

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Re: PNW Spear Fishing Education...

Post by WaGigKpn »

lets make our own club...

seriously...can we get a spearing forum topic? i have looked all over the web (google) and there is no where for underwater fish hunters to discuss the regs and id legal fish...these forums could really help bridge the gap between hunters and lookers...

Subnewb, you been diving? kind of following forums looks like you just started diving locally kind of like i am...

I am still waiting on my suit...delivers on the 23rd...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

First rule of spear club, dont talk about spear club
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Super secret spear club,
I need new bands on my gun...
can you ref me to a good seller?
thx
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Wagigkpn and scubnewb, there are plenty of spearos around here! Well, here "PNW", not here nwdc. Spearboard is a good place to get in touch with other spearos, as captain jack pointed out also.

Yes, spearing is "controversial" on some interweb boards. A while ago there was a discussion on this board about why, I'm sure you could find it with a quick search. It's a decent read.

Anyway, let me know if you are still looking. There are a bunch of us that fish and crab often, I'll try to keep you posted in when we are going if you are looking to join us! :burntchef:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

whatevah wrote:
April wrote:
Novice wrote:Oh yeah, if you go after a ling this year, PLEASE target on the small side, the giant ones are ALWAYS females and nothing will bum you out more than gutting a ling and seeing millions of little ling eggs inside....
That's actually not true.... females get larger than males earlier in their life, but males also get huge. Take, for example, every ling you see guarding eggs. Male lings guard eggs, not females and I've seen plenty of oversized (above the max limit in the puget sound) lings on eggs in the sound.
Sorry, but it is true - the females do grow to larger sizes than the males. When there was no upper limit on Lingcod for spearfishers I saw a lot of 40"+ fish harvested and few were male. The true giants (upwards of 45lbs) are invariably female. With the new 36" upper limit, yes, you'll come across more oversized males. But I doubt you'll see many of them in the sound proper unless you're into the freak show that is the unnatural and skewed environment at Edmonds. It's easy to overestimate (and in some cases underestimate) Lingcod length underwater - the only reliable way to measure one is to shoot it first. The clever people at fish and wildlife and on the commission apparently disagree despite having no experience at all, and I know that divers whose experience with Lingcod amounts to guesstimating length of the friendly farm fishies at Edmonds will tell you it's simple too. Neither group has a grasp on reality.

Stay in context.... He's asking people to aim for smaller ling with respect to the upper limit, ie shoot at 26" long rather than 35" inch ling because the larger ling are always female. I'm simply stating that there are plenty of male ling in the upper part of the limit, Edmonds not included.

I'm not talking about ~45" inch ling that are most likely female because only a dumbass SOB would purposely shoot something that oversized in the sound....
April
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Fishstiq dives ??
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Def shoot me an email if you have a crab/spear dive planned!

Wet suit comes in today or tomorrow!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

News flash!!!!

There are dumb asses in the world :rjack: :angelblue: :rofl:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:News flash!!!!

There are dumb asses in the world :rjack: :angelblue: :rofl:
I guess I'm one of them, but I have no idea what you're talking about......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

April wrote:
whatevah wrote:
April wrote:
Novice wrote:
I'm not talking about ~45" inch ling that are most likely female because only a dumbass SOB would purposely shoot something that oversized in the sound....
I do love this woman! You rock, Ape! :supz:
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

scubnewb wrote:Yeah they really dont, im still trying to find the doorway to get in lol... no seriously I am.
Hey bud,

Contact me anytime. We spear all season long, and plan frequent trips to Neah where the spearing is extended.. and epic.

You'd be welcome on my boat...

Our only 2 rules... obey the law... no shooting of oversize fish, or exceeding the daily limits.
Always try to improve the image of Spearos.. not drag it down.

, and try not to shoot me in the ass! :rofl:

Cory-
Attachments
425586_325835090791790_142729172435717_897299_1752959748_n.jpg
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Yeah they really dont, im still trying to find the doorway to get in lol... no seriously I am.
Hey bud,

Contact me anytime. We spear all season long, and plan frequent trips to Neah where the spearing is extended.. and epic.

Our only 2 rules... obey the law... no shooting of oversize fish, or exceeding the daily limits.

Cory-
Holly chit Batman!!! Isn't that 3 rules :pirate:
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Sorry missed this post, yeah i am diving, ive in the UW area in Seattle... Looks like you should of just got your suit so lets meet up and dive and pick up the topic in person, or we can just do a shore dive and meet up locally and discuss.
WaGigKpn wrote:lets make our own club...

seriously...can we get a spearing forum topic? i have looked all over the web (google) and there is no where for underwater fish hunters to discuss the regs and id legal fish...these forums could really help bridge the gap between hunters and lookers...

Subnewb, you been diving? kind of following forums looks like you just started diving locally kind of like i am...

I am still waiting on my suit...delivers on the 23rd...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
LeoWhite
Just Settling In

Post by LeoWhite »

I'll bring the fillet knife!!!!
oooh shinies
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Hey bud,

Cory-

Wow, just looked at this thread again. I must have missed the 4 horseman riding through...

Cory is back on the board!!! Not trying to start any wars, but what's the current over/under on how long he will be here? Can i get in on the betting?

Good to see you back buddy!

When are you gonna come to Florida and give me a chance to win my $100 back?
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Chaddlllyyyy!! Hey bro.. I thought you were already gone to Hawaii. I was already planning my next trip. Ill be in Fl in Oct. however if your still there.

Save your money on the bets bro. You should have already learned your gonna lose against me anyway....
And that was the old Jaksonbrown..... the evil one.... I killed him.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Hot damn! I aint leaving for Hawaii until January. I will be here in October. As a matter of fact, Chirs is coming down around the 19th of Oct. What part of this beautiful state are you going to be in? If it's anywhere south, I have a 30 foot Grady White with a seat that has your name on it buddy.

We will have to go double or nothing with say... an Amberjack. But I gotta warn you, it aint like shooting those Lingcod that lay down for you in 50 feet of water. These bastards are in 100 plus foot of water and raise hell like a freight train once you shoot em, which has a tendency from time to time to bring the man in the grey suit calling.

Hopefully you will be around Fort Lauderdale. Can't wait to see you.

finally, you ain't foolin me. you may have the old Jacksonbrown subdued, but he certainly ain't dead. I know better.