Side Mount diving. (NHZ)

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Side Mount diving. (NHZ)

Post by LCF »

I think, to an extent, how much of a nuisance carrying the single tanks is depends on how you can carry them. I'm too short to carry an Al80 with a straight arm -- I have to bend and carry with my biceps. And I can't put them up on my shoulder, because I've had two collarbone fractures and I have a plate in one of them. So there just isn't any good way to carry them, except with one hand on the valve and the other on the bottom of the tank, which doesn't leave me with any hands to hold the handrails or anything else to stabilize myself, when going up and down the uneven and sometimes unreliable stairs in MX.

Rob Neto, who dives sidemount in the Mill Pond caves, puts his tanks on a dolly and wheels them to the water's edge. If I could do that where I dive, it would make the whole thing much more attractive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lynne, you should look into a frameless backpack for MX. Use it as a carry-on on the plane then to carry tanks one at a time from car to water's edge leaving both hands free for the railings etc.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Lynne, you should look into a frameless backpack for MX. Use it as a carry-on on the plane then to carry tanks one at a time from car to water's edge leaving both hands free for the railings etc.
Why not just a take a cam strap for your BP? Strap on the stage, then take it down, come back up and do the next one. When you're done put the wing and doubles back on.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

At a certain basic level, if you can't carry your own crap to the water its a sign the dive might be a bit much for you. I am on the fence about this very issue myself, since it seems to take about 3 or more support cavers per diver for Canadian cave dives.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote: I am on the fence about this very issue myself, since it seems to take about 3 or more support cavers per diver for Canadian cave dives.
Now I see why you were asking when I was going to get cave trained, you need sherpas!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: I am on the fence about this very issue myself, since it seems to take about 3 or more support cavers per diver for Canadian cave dives.
Now I see why you were asking when I was going to get cave trained, you need sherpas!
I do, but hiker crawler sherpas who have no diving aspirations are actually less uppity tank slaves than fellow divers...

Just having 2 smaller tank packages still isn't enough to make it "easy" (just a variant on Lynne issue of walking with a tank in her arms)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:Rob Neto, who dives sidemount in the Mill Pond caves, puts his tanks on a dolly and wheels them to the water's edge. If I could do that where I dive, it would make the whole thing much more attractive.
I use a crappy collapsible hand truck to transport my tanks as close to the water as possible. when this one finally breaks, i may spring for one with bigger inflatable tires to handle rocks and sand.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I've been using an Adventure Cart with the all terrain wheels as of late... i can get a set of dubs and a couple of singles on it in one trip. Its pretty stable on driveway rocks and grass and I do not feel like it will ever break (which means i'm stuck with it for a while)... My only real complaint would be that its 24lbs but other than that I pretty much love it :)

I do covet the Sand Wheels for it :)

http://www.smartgearusa.com/
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice looking carts, love the big honking wheels. Wish they were a little narrower to fit on a trail.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

:thankyouyellow:

This has been very informative, much appreciated !

Bob - I'd love to dive some, maybe we can get Spatty and RJack coordinated on one dive and you can all share your knowledge and tips :)

This weekend is kinda out, then a weekend off and then we have lake crescent.. darn it..

Bob, can you swim a mid-week evening dive?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Slinging an 80 is about the closest I'll ever get to a side mount rig! :pirate:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: