NAUI DM course question

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Wagon173
Avid Diver

NAUI DM course question

Post by Wagon173 »

Hey guys! So I've emailed Tacoma Scuba about taking a DM class there through NAUI and Josh told me that they do offer it. I'm currently deployed to afghanistan though, so I wanted to buy the books and study while I'm here and take the DM course when I get back. I know NAUI allows their Instructors more or less set up their own curriculum and I hate to keep bothering him trying to get these books as I'm sure they're busy there, it being summer and all. I've taken classes through them before and they're awesome, so I'd like to get my DM through them too! Does anybody know what books they use there and if there is a link online to buy them? Even a PDF file would be cool just to familiarize until I get home and can actually take the class. Anything to keep my head in the water while my feet are stuck in the sand :BDub: Thanks y'all! -Brandon
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: NAUI DM course question

Post by Waynne Fowler »

If you really dig these guys, do them a big fav and give them the business of buying your books through them. I'll assure you that they will not see it as a bother in ANY way and they'll appreciate your business.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

Waynne Fowler wrote:If you really dig these guys, do them a big fav and give them the business of buying your books through them. I'll assure you that they will not see it as a bother in ANY way and they'll appreciate your business.
Okay. Yea, I've seen how busy they got when it was cold outside so I can only imagine they must be swamped this time of year! I didn't really want to pester them about books when I wouldn't be able to take the class until December/January. Though every time I've went there I've hung out for at least half an hour BSing :partyman: In retrospect I suppose I wasn't the only one so that could be why they appeared so busy haha. I'll have my fiance run in and bug them about it! Thanks for keeping me on the strait and narrow, Waynne!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

yeah, Joshua is good people and wont see it as a "bother" at all.

Just give 'em a shout and ask for the books, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to oblige.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Wagon173 wrote:Thanks for keeping me on the strait and narrow, Waynne!
lol.... no worries..... They're good folk and there's a reason they are busy.... never imagine yourself a bother, you are the reason they're there and in their mind you're the only one that matters.... Keep those buggers busy brother!!! :supz:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

So Joshua has my books in the mail! Hoping to have them here within the next few weeks. I don't think you instructors realize the implications of my having any sort of influence on new divers, but get ready for some cowboys, guys! "My DM kept going into flashbacks and having us do bounding movements under water! ...do you know how hard it is to say, 'I'm up. He sees me. I'm down.' through your reg?" :nutty:
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

lol.... oh NO!!!!
Your in for a good time brother.... If your not home yet I hope ya make it back real soon....
Daniel379ba
Avid Diver

Post by Daniel379ba »

Hey Josh, thanks for serving our country!
Its funny, my brothers name is Josh and also in the military, haha!
Anyways, are you the one that was mentioned in the Scuba Diving Magazine?
I was born in the water and love being in it.
Its a natural feeling.
(If anyone wants to dive with me voice up, I'm good Tuesday-Thur 3:00+
Monday and Fridays 3-7, Saturdays = Full day or not at all, Sun = 12:00+ )
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

Daniel379ba wrote:Hey Josh, thanks for serving our country!
Its funny, my brothers name is Josh and also in the military, haha!
Anyways, are you the one that was mentioned in the Scuba Diving Magazine?
Sorry my name is Brandon. Josh was the guy that I was going to do my DM under. I've since changed my mind on it though as I'm getting out of the army and I'd like to save as much money as I can for a cushion once I'm part of that 24% unemployed veteran statistic lol. With any luck I'll go to work for the Sheriff as soon as I'm done with the academy, but without any luck, I suppose it will be nice to eat my top ramen with something else :P I still have all my books though so as soon as I'm financially stable I'll be jumping back into diving education. I'm sure it's quite possible he was in scuba magazine though. He's a very knowledgable person especially in scuba things and runs a pretty successful dive shop in Tacoma. Pretty much everytime I come in, I spend most of my time lurking behind him trying to learn something and he seems perfectly cool with it! I got a free indirect lesson on how my regulator worked yesterday, infact! :) Tell your Josh thanks for his service though! I'll be out in 3 more weeks with my 8 year MSO fulfilled.