Tank inspection classes

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Tank inspection classes

Post by Dusty2 »

If I had my own compressor I would still be checking my tanks frequently. For my own safety and because problems with a compressor often show up in your tank long before they do elsewhere. Besides if you have your own compressor draining a tank before filling it isn't a big deal.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Jeff Pack wrote:glad I have my own compressor :)
So you can avoid Viz'ing your bottles, allowing a better chance of poisoning yourself?

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Desert Diver wrote:I suppose I'm flogging a dead horse, and I believe every shop has a right to whatever requirements they want when filling tanks, just like my shop has every right to refuse to put air in a tire we think may be questionable, but I get tired of PSI and others claiming Federal law requires an annual VIP and training every 3 years for inspectors. This misinformation (does that sound better than lie?) makes it seem that maybe the whole thing is a scam rather then a necessity. They should just say they want it that way or they won't fill, rather than blame it on the government. I'm with Jeff P. in that I'm glad I've got my own compressor.
+1
PSI had to really selectively read the CFRs to reach this conclusion. [sarcasm]Even more amazingly other VIP agencies/organizations are not getting hauled into court by DOT...[/sarcasm]
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

CaptnJack wrote:+1
PSI had to really selectively read the CFRs to reach this conclusion. [sarcasm]Even more amazingly other VIP agencies/organizations are not getting hauled into court by DOT...[/sarcasm]
+1 as well. I'm glad I have my own compressor at the end of the day, too. Makes life a lot more convenient, although I grumble every time I have to do maintenance, pay for filter chemicals, etc.

FWIW, if you're filling your own and diving them, you don't even need to hydro the bottles. I think, personally, it'd be stupid not to do that, but since it's not a commercial endeavor the CFR does not apply. The CFR is only applicable to things "used in commerce" by its own language. YMMV...I keep my hydros current and I VIP my tanks because you never know when you might need a last minute fill at a LDS, and it would suck to go in and not be able to get one.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...