Looking for a good sidemount instructor

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Looking for a good sidemount instructor

Post by CaptnJack »

The nomad Xt has a ton of places for lead other than your (boney) waist.

The 12mm Otter Bay hoods are also a no-lead way to be alot warmer. They don't have a zipper up the back. Cricket makes them to your measurements. Also if you don't have them, dry gloves. And lastly good foot insulation. I added the weezle boots for winter dives and I was stunned how much warmer I was overall compared to just 2 pairs of wool socks. DUI also makes thinsulate booties and some other company's too. They are a significant improvement IMHO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Well, guess it sounds like I am just going to have to suck it up and find a place to shove a few extra pounds of lead. Maybe I can stick them in my undergarment pockets. Haha! Or maybe stick some more on my cam bands. Cap'n, does the weight on your cam bands throw off trim much? Or do you have them on the top one?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

av8ngreg wrote:Don't laugh at me, but when I say skinny, I mean SKINNY! I am 6', and weigh in at a whopping 130.
Forget lead. What you really need is a lot of beer and hamburgers, plus some chocolate cake. Often.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

av8ngreg wrote:Well, guess it sounds like I am just going to have to suck it up and find a place to shove a few extra pounds of lead.
Ankle weights and zipties work. The nomad has plenty of small d-rings on the back to attach them to. I can snap a pic of mine if you want.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

av8ngreg wrote:Well, guess it sounds like I am just going to have to suck it up and find a place to shove a few extra pounds of lead. Maybe I can stick them in my undergarment pockets. Haha! Or maybe stick some more on my cam bands. Cap'n, does the weight on your cam bands throw off trim much? Or do you have them on the top one?
On my single tank rig the 10lbs is on the lower cam band of my STA. I've debated putting 2x 2lbs on the upper cam band too, just to take a little off my waist. That's less weight "up high" than I have when diving doubles (manifolds and bands are heavy). So no its not really a trim issue. On your nomad in sidemount you should have no issues with piling the lead onto the center area since the tanks are mounted so low.

+1 on lots of chocolate cake for you.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Funny thing is that I eat like no ones business, and much to the disappointment of my mom drink beer constantly. The doctors say, and they tend to be a little better educated at the health stuff than me, is that my metabolism is off the charts. Last it was checked my body fat was somewhere around the mid 3%. I have been skinny all my life, and have just had to "suffer" eating whatever I feel like, and drinking like the fish I so love to pester without gaining a pound. My old hockey coach told me that one day all my unhealthy eating habits would bite me in the butt, but so far they haven't been able to find my skinny butt.

Cap'n- I have drygloves already, use a really thick thinsulate glove under the PVC outerglove. I also use Thinsulate 'booties' over my Merino wool undersocks, with thick hunting socks over those. All that gets snugged up tight in my OTB rock boots. Generally my feet stay toasty warm, but my torso, arms, and hands get rather cold after about an hour in winter water. ~42 degrees. I have a 7mm Fourth Element hood, but will def have to give the Otter Bay hood a peek see. I checked their website and it didn't say anything about hoods, so I will call them tomorrow.
Attachments
My favorite dinner
My favorite dinner