Looking for a good sidemount instructor

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Looking for a good sidemount instructor

Post by av8ngreg »

I am looking to find an instructor that is familiar with sidemount techniques and setup. I would prefer someone who has experience with the Dive Rite Nomad XT as that it what I currently have. I don't so much mind the trial and error route, but figure if someone has already figured out all the failing ways, then that is more experience than I have and more time I can spend doing it the correct way. Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Looking for a good sidemount instructor

Post by CaptnJack »

In the Puget Sound region?
Is your profile accurate that you have 11 dives?
What is your goal for SM?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Here, or elsewhere? I know Rob Neto in Florida has a ton of experience with the Nomad and the Hollis setups.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Profile is a bit outdated. I don't get on the boards much as I spend most of my workday on keyboards. Yes, in the Puget Sound area would be preferential, I am currently diving out of Tacoma Scuba down south. I have been using my Halcyon BP/W and just decided to try out something a little different. Eventually I hope to get into some wreck penetration diving, and figure SM would be beneficial to that.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

av8ngreg wrote:I am looking to find an instructor that is familiar with sidemount techniques and setup. I would prefer someone who has experience with the Dive Rite Nomad XT as that it what I currently have. I don't so much mind the trial and error route, but figure if someone has already figured out all the failing ways, then that is more experience than I have and more time I can spend doing it the correct way. Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)
I'm not an instructor, but I have been diving my Nomad XT pretty much exclusively for a while now. I figured out a lot via trial and error as well as from some more formal training here and in FL. I can help answer your questions, and if you're willing to donate some cash for my gas money and fills, I'd be happy to get together and dive with you and help you tweak your gear.

EDIT: Rob Neto is who I trained with in FL. :)
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

LCF wrote:Here, or elsewhere? I know Rob Neto in Florida has a ton of experience with the Nomad and the Hollis setups.
If I was gonna travel, Rob is who I'd go see.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

You might also ask NWBrewer at a MMM dive. He dives a sidemount setup.
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Spatman, that would be great! Def willing to put some fuel in your tank, air/nitrox in your other tanks, and maybe a beer or couple in the most important tank! I will shoot you a PM with my number and we can figure out a time. :-)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Meet me in Tacoma Scuba sometime. We can talk, and even set up a dive. I'm an instructor, and I dive a Nomad XT, but I don't teach sidemount. I can show you a few things and talk to you about it.

Personally, I don't recommend many local instructors ... because sidemount is not what they normally dive. And while they may be able to go "by the book" on what their respective agencies teach, without the personal experience of diving it in the environment on a regular basis, you'll miss out on a lot.

I took my training from Rob Neto, in Florida, because my primary goal was to be able to take the rig into caves. I have more than 100 sidemount dives here in Puget Sound. I am not offering a class ... I won't charge you anything. Let's just go diving. I'll show you what I know. If you want more, go south and find someone who dives the rig on a regular basis. AFAIK, Dan down in Vancouver (Seven Seas Scuba) is about the only "local" instructor around here who does.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

av8ngreg wrote:Spatman, that would be great! Def willing to put some fuel in your tank, air/nitrox in your other tanks, and maybe a beer or couple in the most important tank! I will shoot you a PM with my number and we can figure out a time. :-)
Sounds great. I'm back in town the 18th, but pretty flexible after that.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:Dan down in Vancouver (Seven Seas Scuba) is about the only "local" instructor around here who does.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I would all the shop to confirm that Dan is still teaching. I haven't sen him at the shop in a very long time.
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

@Spatman- Sounds good.
@Bob- Yeah Joshua at the shop had mentioned your name and was going to talk to you about it. Any help is much appreciated. I will be at the shop in a couple days and will try to touch base with you on a time we could meet there.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spatman wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Dan down in Vancouver (Seven Seas Scuba) is about the only "local" instructor around here who does.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I would all the shop to confirm that Dan is still teaching. I haven't sen him at the shop in a very long time.
That would be a shame. Based on what I knew of him, he was a good instructor ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:
spatman wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That would be a shame. Based on what I knew of him, he was a good instructor ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Nice guy, too.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't dive a Nomad (rather a Hollis SMS100) but happy to go diving sometime. We've done "sidemount" days off our personal boats in Lake WA in the past, maybe we should have another. At this point my 'system' is as refined as its going to get. With or without spatty lol
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:I don't dive a Nomad (rather a Hollis SMS100) but happy to go diving sometime. We've done "sidemount" days off our personal boats in Lake WA in the past, maybe we should have another. At this point my 'system' is as refined as its going to get. With or without spatty lol
Hah. Hey, I tried.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I don't dive a Nomad (rather a Hollis SMS100) but happy to go diving sometime. We've done "sidemount" days off our personal boats in Lake WA in the past, maybe we should have another. At this point my 'system' is as refined as its going to get. With or without spatty lol
Hah. Hey, I tried.
At least its not a Razor! :p
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:
Hah. Hey, I tried.
Shh, you'll hurt Jake's feelings.
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Thanks all for your help so far! I am up for a dive with anyone just as soon as I get my rig setup. Working with Spatman and most likely Bob on getting what I don't have already to set it up the correct way to then start tweaking. :-)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

av8ngreg wrote:Thanks all for your help so far! I am up for a dive with anyone just as soon as I get my rig setup. Working with Spatman and most likely Bob on getting what I don't have already to set it up the correct way to then start tweaking. :-)
"Correct" is a relative term. We'll show you what works for us and explain what we know of other options, but in the end it's really personal preference.
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Well at least we could get me pointed in a direction and then I can start diving it at least. I would say then I could start telling you how you were wrong, but in this case I don't think that will happen! :-P
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

av8ngreg wrote:Well at least we could get me pointed in a direction and then I can start diving it at least. I would say then I could start telling you how you were wrong, but in this case I don't think that will happen! :-P
You'll fit in just fine :rjack: :angelblue:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:
Hah. Hey, I tried.
Shh, you'll hurt Jake's feelings.
Why do you have to hate on the Fazer? :boxer:

av8ngreg, if you're in the N end and want to dive at all let me know.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
av8ngreg
Just Settling In

Post by av8ngreg »

Thanks NWBrewer. I need to work on getting my Nomad setup first, but should be up for diving it in a couple weeks. Waiting on a couple things I ordered in that I was told would make it more efficient to dive so guess it will just have to hang on the rack all pretty and dry until they come in. I will defo take you up on that offer as soon as I get it somewhat dialed in. Are you familiar with the Apeks Tek3 doubles reg set? I was curious as to how they would work on a SM with all the ports on the one side and being opposite with a right and left handed 1st stage. If they aren't ideal, what regs do you use, and do you recommend ones with the 5th IM port on the bottom for ~10" QD inflator hoses?

Edit- I already have the Tek3 set for my BM BP/W, that is why I ask about those. Not opposed to getting other regs though if they won't really work.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:
spatman wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Seems like Dan has stopped teaching, according to a source at the shop.