Connecting the Dots Underwater: Seeing the Stories Around Yo

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
stillhope
Avid Diver

Connecting the Dots Underwater: Seeing the Stories Around Yo

Post by stillhope »

I'll be doing a workshop at the Dive Expo in Tacoma on Sunday April 21 at 1:00 p.m.
A feared benthic predator, the Sunflower Star creeps along the bottom. Those creatures who can, scatter. The long legs of the sea star crawl over the top of a slow moving keyhole limpet and flip it over. Just as things are looking bleakest for the limpet, it unleashes its secret weapon!

Stories like this are unfolding throughout Puget Sound, at many different scales. Some stories involve large creatures: octopus, wolfeels, salmon, and trees. Some involve tiny hydroids, nudibranchs, or worms. Rocks, currents, pollution, and sunshine are also part of the story.

Your dives can be full of exciting stories. All you need are a few clues about what to look for and how things work. That’s what this seminar is all about. You’ll see lots of video examples of unusual stories and learn some of the basic relationships between these creatures that will help you see the stories unfolding all around you as you dive.

While the examples are mostly from Puget Sound, the concepts apply to waters anywhere in the world.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Connecting the Dots Underwater: Seeing the Stories Aroun

Post by WylerBear »

Sounds really fun and interesting. If I get to the Expo, I'll definitely check it out.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option