Free workshop on regional dive sites

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Free workshop on regional dive sites

Post by LCF »

Tomorrow evening, 9/27, at 6:30 pm, at Bubbles Below in Woodinville, there will be a free workshop on "Getting off the Beaten Path." Highlighted will be some excellent regional dive sites that folks don't often dive, like Skyline, Deception Pass, Day Island Wall, and others.

Come join us and hear about some new ideas for your local diving!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Free workshop on regional dive sites

Post by Scubak »

uhm...seems like a great talk for the newbies...
However, you know as well as I that there are plenty of divers on these sites when the tides/currents allow...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I know, but there are a lot of newer divers who have seen the "usual" sites but maybe haven't gotten up north, or west, or south . . . This particular topic always seems to draw a fair number of people, so I think it might be useful. Not to the regular posters on this board, for sure, but there are always lurkers.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

:( I had plans already for tonight else I would make it. Next Time
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Don't forget Hood Canal and Salt Creek (although its a bit late in the summer for diving along the strait). And Lake WA, although I am struggling to come up with an "all ages" shore dive there. I-90 Bridge?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Funny you should mention those, Richard! Salt Creek and the I-90 bridge are on the list of sites.

There are three of us doing this, but if I remember correctly, the list of sites in total is:

Shore dives:
Les Davis (not a frequent site for our north end divers)
Day Island Wall
I-90 Bridge
Saltwater State Park
Skyline Wall
Deception Pass
Salt Creek State Park
Flagpole Point

Boat dives:
Waterman's Wall
Bainbridge Fingers

There are two more sites that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Scubak wrote:uhm...seems like a great talk for the newbies...
However, you know as well as I that there are plenty of divers on these sites when the tides/currents allow...
Kirsten
Deception Pass is definitely not a "newbie site" and Skyline easily fits into the "Not A Newbie Dive" category, too. It would be safe to say the locals who regularly dive Deception Pass will not take a new diver with less than 100+ dives and at least Stress and Rescue Certified. Oh and then only after we have dove with them at other current sensitive sites, several times. At the dive shop we require at least Stress and Rescue Certification, for Skyline Wall, if it is a Shop Dive.

Just thought I should point this out for the lurkers or less experienced divers who get the itch to try other sites. I'm sure this will be covered in the presentation.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I would swap China Wall for Waterman's. Once someone has done China Wall, which is not particularly current sensitive, a half dozen times they are prepared to step up to Waterman's which is a serious dive.

Alki fishing reef is very do-able by someone who's experience base is otherwise limited.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think the spectrum of sites runs from fairly benign (Les Davis) to very challenging (Deception Pass). And yes, hazards and timing will be discussed!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

CaptnJack wrote:Don't forget Hood Canal and Salt Creek (although its a bit late in the summer for diving along the strait). And Lake WA, although I am struggling to come up with an "all ages" shore dive there. I-90 Bridge?
Mercer Island Underwater Forest, except I guess with trees and entanglement potential, maybe not...

But the I90 bridge is a good choice.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Glad folks are getting the word out for some of these sites. I would agree with Kirsten that these sites (and more) are still frequented on good tide weekends, but usually only by those with the Rosetta Stone AKA Fishnaller's or Betty-Pratt's books or were dragged there by their mentors.

Salt Creek used to be a real "divers destination".. There were large diver gatherings in the park and also out at Pillar Point and Seiku (1st, 2nd and 3rd Beach, along with the Andalusia). The locals remember "masses of divers" and still wonder what happened and why no one really comes out much anymore comparatively speaking. Oral history implies that a certain local legend (who has an UW park named after him) used to have a survey site there, and would take his divers out regularly. His baby instructors did the same (probably without knowing the reason why) and then by the time it reached third generation instructors it sort of faded off into the sunset, because it was a long drive and then it became known as a site that you needed a certain robust-ness to dive.

For what its worth, we used to take our OW 2 and Advanced students out there (meaning 20 and 40 dives respectively when class started) and having been one of those students, thanks to the proper planning, education and execution by our dive leaders and instructor I don't recollect it being too badass for us :) (of course we also walked to the dive site uphill both ways in the snow in doubles wearing our fins) The worst I remember was being blinded by the mysids and hit in the head by a dogfish (for Advanced - 3rd level class - we'd set up a range and do it as a night dive)

There is also a mellower entry (albeit a long walk) just to the west of Tongue Point from the public entry in Crescent bay and you can dive and/or snorkel that portion of the reef almost any time with regards to currents and its somewhat protected depending on which way the big ocean rollers & weather is coming from. If you don't like the walk in knee deep water there is also the western most stairway in the park down to a little basalt nubbin, but I have not personally checked out if it has a nice channel for exit or if you end up on all fours clamoring out of the water on the lava rock and urchins ;) (i'll take a closer look one of these days & report back)

Bachelor Rock was a shore diving destination as well back in the late 80's and early 90's... This weekend I found out why. Neap tide days, literally minimal current for HOURS, epic vis and masses of urchins of all colors. It is pretty much a perfect scooter dive. You can kick it for sure, but it just takes a while. We used to do it as a third dive on the way back from the Diamond Knot (2 on the knot, 1 on the rock) when we ran the Subsea Explorer out there for charters, and had to wait for the tide to come in so we could unload the boat at Freshwater. But that was always off the boat, and more often than not a drift dive of sorts. It was really neat to hang out on it and check things out, minimal current, slowly drift, scooter back do it again. Colors, walls, critters, etc...

It could just be me, but I've found having a rebreather and/or a scooter really made trips out there more enjoyable. I still take a couple singles so that I don't have a completely wasted drive in the event of murphy, but nothing like the old days of having to take 10-12 single tanks out for a long weekend or multiple sets of doubles (which if you are not in crescent or diamond knot or some non lava rock entry long range scooter dive seem a bit like overkill - doable but begging to sprain an ankle or knee or tweak your back if you are just doing salt creek)
Last edited by ljjames on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Great post Laura, love the historical perspective.

Any idea whatever happened to Steve Fischnaller?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks for a great post L.J.
Maybe we should plan a dive trip up that ways!
K
"Let's go diving!"