Seeking PADI DPV instructors

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
wetb4Igetinthewater
Frequent Bubbler

Seeking PADI DPV instructors

Post by wetb4Igetinthewater »

Hello,

I'm currently PADI AOW certified. Have two specialties so far: drift and nitrox. I just picked up a slightly used scooter (too good a deal to pass up). Is there anyone who would teach a class in early February?
SSI Assistant Instructor Trainer
SDI Open Water Instructor
PADI IDC Staff Instructor (inactive)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Seeking PADI DPV instructors

Post by spatman »

Does the instruction have to be through PADI? There are several instructors on this forum who teach DPV classes, though most are not PADI.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:partydance: :partydance: :partydance: :partydance: <---- That's the happy scooter dance.

I'll give a +1 to what Spatty says, there are a few local instructors who teach DPV, but I don't know of any PADI ones. Peterguy maybe?

Don't leave us all in suspense, what did you get?

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
bm5w
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bm5w »

Brian(Bdub) and Jeanna(Edge) have a DPV class in February. I'd recommend them -- I'm signed up for the class myself :) Their website says they still have a spot open. http://frogkickdiving.com/dpv-1.html
wetb4Igetinthewater
Frequent Bubbler

Thanks everyone.

I picked up an Apollo AV-2. My primary dive buddy has the AV-1, and had been encouraging me to get one myself. After getting towed by him a couple times at Mukilteo (one boat dive, one from shore), I knew I had to get one. I was at Ocean Optical off Westlake when I spotted a DPV sitting there. Hardly used (25 dives according to Jack). I. Just. Couldn't. Pass. It. Up. :)

PADI would be nice, simply because I'm working on my master scuba diver through PADI first. I know many will say it is redundant, but I will acquire the same certification through SSI by the end of the year. I'll probably go with NAUI too. I I know myself well enough in that I like repetition and to hear/read/see things from different angles. Plus everyone teaches the same topics a little differently and offer different techniques. That is my experience at least from the SSI vs. PADI night diving specialty course. I was thinking that over the years, I'd get NAUI certified as well. I enjoy training/learning. I've had a couple of mishaps in my short time diving. Nothing major. I just stayed calm, and dealt with whatever came up. It just encouraged me to constantly be learning, so that when there is something major, I can handle it calmly. Hopefully that makes sense to the diving veterans.

I'll contact Brian and Jeanna now. Thanks bm5w for the link!
wetb4Igetinthewater
Frequent Bubbler

bm5w,

Email sent, asking about the logistics (I have a tentative PADI deep water dive specialty course as well).

Hopefully I'll meet you there.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

Hello,

In case you are still looking one of my instructors, Don Pierce, teaches the PADI DPV course. If you are interested shoot me a call and I can get you his contact information.

253-874-9387
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

As NWbrewer wrote, I can teach the PADI DPV specialty -- http://www.belowandbeyond.biz/dpv.htm -- (full list of PADI classes at: http://www.belowandbeyond.biz/classes_taught.htm (WTH -- might as well give myself a little promo here!).

BTW, UNLESS you really want the PADI card, I'd certainly second (third, fourth?) the recommendation to do the UTD DPV class with Brian and Jeanna who are superb instructors. You know what -- we, here in the Puget Sound area, do have a great group of instructors, among them, Scott Christopher, Bob Bailey, Koos DuPreez, Brian and Jeanna and I'd like to think, ME!