Drysuit weighting

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Re: Drysuit weighting

Postby Cupronickel » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:40 am

In terms of size, im 5'11" 190 lbs. The undergarment I got is a Whites brand fleece coverall, its not super fluffy like some Ive seen. I only have one tank, so it will be full when I arrive at the site also.
A flute without holes is not a flute, a doughnut without a hole is a danish.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Postby Norris » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:30 am

The undergarment makes a big difference as the Cap has said. The key is that you will need more, period. Now you have more bubble to deal with where the wetsuit was minimal.
Ideally the 700psi tank weight check would be great but if that was not in your plan keep in mind that if you are underweighted, you likely wont be faced with that realization until the end of your dive when you want to safety stop but your heading to the surface.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Postby CaptnJack » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:59 am

The undergarment would be the key variable you left out, plus your size.

The best thing you can do is bring a near empty (~700psi) tank and do a weight check first. Then go diving. You need a buddy who knows how to do a drysuit weight check. Its not that hard but you don't want to be vertical and fully vented, you want to be able to lay on the bottom in 5ft of water with a near empty tank and a normally lofted drysuit undergarment.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.

Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Drysuit weighting

Postby Cupronickel » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:29 am

First drysuit dive tomorrow morning! I was wondering if anyone has any ballpark estimates for how much lead i should carry? I usually dive 24 lbs with my farmer john 7mm and my 119. Its a fusion suit if that makes a difference...
A flute without holes is not a flute, a doughnut without a hole is a danish.

Return to “Diving Education (Recreational)”