FREE Fish and Invertebrate ID classes at the Aquarium on Sat

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

FREE Fish and Invertebrate ID classes at the Aquarium on Sat

Post by nwscubamom »

For immediate release: May 22, 2006
206-281-9987
mobile: 206-406-9448

FREE SEATTLE PACIFIC NORTHWEST FISH AND INVERTEBRATE
IDENTIFICATION CLASSES OFFERED BY THE SEADOC SOCIETY

The SeaDoc Society is sponsoring free Pacific Northwest Fish and Invertebrate Identification classes in Seattle on Saturday, June 10th, 2006. These classes are designed for SCUBA divers and will also be of interest to others who appreciate our marine ecosystem and would like to know more about the wildlife in the water. The free, adult-level classes prepare divers and snorkelers to conduct REEF (Reef Environmental Education Foundation) marine life identification surveys in the Pacific Northwest. Participants will learn how to identify about 45 fish and 45 invertebrates.

Saturday, June 10, 2006
8am – Noon Pacific NW Fish Identification Class
Noon – 1pm Lunch Break - a chance to stretch your legs and get lunch
1pm – 5pm Pacific NW Invertebrate Identification Class

Janna Nichols, of REEF, is the instructor for the classes. The REEF Survey Project allows volunteer SCUBA divers and snorkelers to collect and report information on marine fish and invertebrate populations. The data are collected using a fun and easy standardized method, and are housed in a publicly-accessible database on REEF's website (http://www.reef.org). These data are used by a variety of resource agencies and researchers.

The classes will be held at the Seattle Aquarium (1483 Alaskan Way) in the large upstairs classroom. More information including directions and parking information is available at: http://www.seattleaquarium.org/visit/location.

To register for the classes send email including your name, mailing address and phone to Lavonne Hull at lwhull@ucdavis.edu and indicate whether you will attend both sessions or the Fish (morning) or Invertebrate (afternoon) session only. The registration deadline is June 9, 2006 and space is available on a first-come first-served basis.

Please visit http://www.seadocsociety.org to learn more about the innovative work the SeaDoc Society is doing to promote the health of our marine ecosystem and our marine wildlife.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Has anyone been to this before? I'm interested in learning more about what the "stuff" I see down there is and this seems like a great project to get involved with. From what I've read and heard, Janna has a reputation for kicking ass too. Does anyone know more about this or is anyone else planning to go?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Doug ... you and Erica should go if you have the time.

I'll be out of town, but I've been to Janna's class before, and it's very good.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Calvin, Dave, and myself did Janna's Fish ID Class at Tacoma Scuba, took the two dives and got our PADI specialty. I won't speak for them, but they seemed to realy enjoy it as well.

Janna is awesome... She is funny, makes already interesting (to me at least!) material even more interesting, and just makes the learning environment lots of fun. You will greatly benefit from any class she does, AND have a good time in the process.

The FISH ID class really adds alot to your diving, simply in knowing more of what you are looking at and more. If you choose to do surveys when you dive it's a help, but even without that it really enhances the diving.

I will be doing Janna's Invertebrate ID Class I believe in July on Orcas. (info on another thread)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Definitely take Janna's class if you have the chance. I've been enjoying dives much more since I learned how to ID the fish with Tom Nic and Dave. Even the surface intervals are more fun since you can actually talk about stuff without saying "the orangey, squigglish big-eyed fish with the doodad on his tail", to get your point across.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great class! Sorry i had to leave in a hurry Janna, those parking tickets can be steep #-o

Thanks again to both Janna and SeaDoc Society for the free Invertebrate ID Class. \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Boy I wish I could have been there!

Oh well, a 3 dive boat trip with Teal Water Charters eased my pain somewhat...
:supz:
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Damn. I just now saw this post. I wish I would have been able to attend. It sounds like it would have been great.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey Sounder,

You missed out on more M&M's!!!

Glad you were able to come to at least the morning session. Calvin popped in for the afternoon and was happy to eat your portion of M&M's :)

There will be another free class on Orcas July 28th and 29th at the West Sound Community Center. Fish on Friday, Inverts on Saturday. To sign up contact Lavonne Hull at lwhull@ucdavis.edu or phone at (530) 752-3854.

These classes will have a dive in the afternoon that you would be welcome to join - but will have to pay for the dive (since we'll be boat diving). I don't have the particulars yet...stay tuned!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'd love to - unfortunately I'll be fresh off my honeymoon and spending a bunch of money at the Underwater Sports sale!!! We've got a place on Lopez... and a boat too - perhaps you and your husband will have to come stay at our house for a weekend in exchange for a private lesson later in the summer!

Thanks again though, I certainly learned a lot and am looking forward to learning more! \:D/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

hehe, we have a place (well, my dad does) on Lopez on Fisherman Bay peninsula. We'll be there for the 4th of July (can't miss them burning down the island - always the best part of the show!) if you'll be there maybe we can get together?

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Oh well, so much for the private lesson Sounder!! :axe: Better luck next time!

It really is worth the $$! ...though I know you're busy that weekend!

See you at Orcas Janna!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah - it's not the money. A boat charter is always worth it. Time is the concern, but we'll get to one eventually!!! I certainly enjoyed the fish portion, and as soon as I send in my first two surveys I'll be a "Level 2!" Wahoo!!! I'm not sure what it actually means, but I'll be sure to put it on my resume! What internet marketing company wouldn't want a "level 2 fish identifier guy!?"

I will not be on Lopez for this July 4th - but I totally agree with you!!! The fireworks are great, but the volunteer fire department is more fun to watch as to try to keep the whole island from burning down!!! I remember (2 years ago?) when the whole area was lit up and all we saw was smoke, fire, and shadows of firefighters running all over the place. I also remember sitting back after pouring another martini and thinking of how glad I was to be out of the public-service line of work!

We'll have to meet up - our place is at the South end on Cape St. Mary (right next to the strip that leads out to Paul Allen's place). There are 2-3 private coves where the water is gin-clear that I just can't wait to dive!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Janna, I'd like to do the Invertebrate ID specialty, now that I've done the class portion (did I pass the test, btw?).

Do we need to arrange a dive together or do I just need to do two surveys and send them and $ to you? :book:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Calvin,

When you come up for the Orcas dives (which we just got arranged today!) we can do it then. You can't do them without me. :) (not for the specialty card, anyway)

And, I hate to break the bad news to you but....as far as your invertebrate quiz goes....

YOU PASSED!!!
(of course you did...did anyone expect less out of Calvin?)

I am going to post the particulars of the Orcas dives and classes on another thread. Be on the lookout for it.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Janna, I'm not sure if I can make it to Orcas (which is why I came last Saturday instead). I will know when the time gets closer. Will there be another opportunity should I miss that one?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Ah, you and I can just hook up another time when I'm up there diving! It will probably be semi-spur of the moment, if that's OK with you!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>