curious about SSI dive credit

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
JJHACK
Aquaphile

curious about SSI dive credit

Post by JJHACK »

In my log book I have to fill out a nice reasonable level of dive detail. It's a great recap to provide future recollection of events. I like this a lot. However at the bottom of the page there is a place for the dive professional to sign off.

If I dive with a buddy there is no dive professional with us. Curious if that dive cannot be registered without a dive professional. Is that somehow an optional verification of some sort?
The best things in life are not things
60south
Pelagic

Re: curious about SSI dive credit

Post by 60south »

IMO, it's totally optional and just for fun.

Your log book is (or should be) simply for your own enjoyment. Resorts or instructors may occasionally ask to see a copy -- although this seems kind of dopey because many of us use online or electronic log books, and log entries can be forged. It isn't a legal document.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Some resorts also have fancy stamps for that area. Anyone can sign that part for you.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

Okay, thanks for the feedback, I was curious about the official capacity of this.
The best things in life are not things
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

As an instructor I sign peoples' log books when we finish a class. I don't know why; it's the certification card that counts. :)
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

It's just a reminder who your buddy was...Dive Boats also have cool stamps or stickers for your log books...
Lots of fun creating memories...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Scubak wrote:It's just a reminder who your buddy was...Dive Boats also have cool stamps or stickers for your log books...
Lots of fun creating memories...
Kirsten
+1
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

I store all my dives on Subsurface because I like looking at them on my phone when I'm not busy.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

I look at Northwest Dive Club when I'm not busy. :)