Diving Doubles and Further Instruction

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Diving Doubles and Further Instruction

Post by Tangfish »

Grateful Diver and John Rawlings brought up some good points on the need for further training when diving twin tanks. Dave and I have recently taken up diving doubles and I definitely feel that there is a level of ignorance going on. Sure, I can scrape together information online but really what I want is more instruction.

I just completed my PADI DM and now I'm thinking of getting some basic technical training. My question is: How do I choose a training agency or instructor? There are suddenly so many choices, IANTD, NAUI, GUE. DIR or not? Different shops. How does one decide on what to do next, and what are these different organizations/agencies known for?

Help appreciated. :prayer:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote: You can also take NAUI Tech classes through Randy Williams at Starfish Enterprises. He no longer has a dive shop, but he still teaches classes. I plan to take my Advanced Nitrox class with him sometime this summer.

John's friend Jerome Ryan teaches IANTD classes. I took Recreational Trimix with him, and it was a great class.

Mel Clarke is an independent NAUI instructor ... someone told me recently that she's focusing on rebreather classes lately.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I can personally vouch for what Bob said above about 3 of the folks he mentions. I do not comment on the others simply because I have no personal experience with them.

Randy Williams is an old and extremely good friend of mine with more experience than you can shake a stick at. He is an extremely enthusiastic and able instructor. He is based out of his home in Lake City in Seattle. As Bob mentioned, Randy holds a NAUI teaching certification.....and probably others that I don't know about!

Jerome Ryan is another extremely old friend of mine - one of my closest friends, actually. I have taken classes from him ranging from my original Nitrox certification years ago up through Advanced Trimix. I have always found his attention to detail extremely incredible. Jerome teaches out of his home in North Lynnwood and holds teaching certifications for both IANTD and TDI.

Mel Clark teaches out of her home in Mill Creek and holds teaching certifications from both TDI and IANTD. While she is a closed-circuit rebreather (CCR) instructor for many of the rebreather units available out there, she also regularly teaches open circuit technical dive courses at all levels up through Advanced Trimix. I took my KISS CCR training from her and found the quality of the training to be excellent.

There are several shops in the PNW that offer technical training, but since I do not know their staff personally and have not undergone their training I have no knowledge of what they offer - only that it exists. Still, if independent instructors aren't "your thing", interested divers might want to check out the tech training programs offered by Northwest Sport Diver (Kenmore), Bubbles Below (Woodinville), Silent World (Bellevue), and 5th Dimension (Issaquah).

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, thanks for the additional info John. I'm going to talk to my buddy Dave and see what he thinks. It only makes sense if both buddies have the training since we'll be depending on each other to plan and execute safe dives. Also, I'll look into the certifying agencies more closely to see which one's philosophy seems the most reasonable to me.

All three instructors Bob mentioned, and you agreed about, seems like great options. :book:
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I'm interested in pursuing some tech training as well. So far I've only done a Rec Trimix class, which I loved, and I can second Bob and John's recommendations of Jerome Ryan. The man is competent, extremely knowledgeable and makes sure you understand the material.

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about an independant instructor is the lack of emphasis on a particular line or brand of gear. Opinions were honest and not sales oriented.

While I've not had direct experience with NAUI or GUE, I can say that I liked the IANTD philosophies, they fit for me, personally and professionally: very Zen and holistic in approach. Very refreshing.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

-Valerie
da_jab
Aquaphile

Long time no post

Post by da_jab »

Hi all,
I haven't been around this board for a while cos' I've been busy diving. Anyway, I just completed my IANTD Technical/Normoxic Trimix Diver course and I have to say that I liked it a lot. It's nice to see that you guys are moving forward into the double tank world and starting to scout for appropriate education, good for you! :)

Ok, into the topic then, I don't have any GUE/DIR training under my belt (yet) and we started the first ever NAUI tech course in Finland just recenty and I'm taking it just out of curiosity and the fact that the instructor who gives it is a great instructor.

If one compares NAUI/GUE/IANTD tech programs it's quite clear that they all provide the same information, ofcourse there is a difference in the small details and degree of Zen and other mystic things but still it's a dive course that teaches you tech diving.

One personal note about education materials, IANTD material (manual) is the oldest and looks like it too, not very well organised and seems to be more of a collection of articles from various experts on collected topics covering tech/3mix diving. GUE material is well organised and the print quality is great, this is also the newest on the market. From NAUI I've seen only slidesets so far and only comment is that they are ok, basic powerpoint style stuff.

But the most important thing is that you pick a good instructor, since it's that person that really makes you learn, not the books and presentations. I'd ask around for recommendations from people who have taken a course lately. Now I don't know how the things are in the US but back here, the best instructors don't even need to advertise their courses.

So happy instructor hunting and keep on divin'! :supz:

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Congratulations on completing your Normoxic course!!!!! =D>

IANTD has recently updated their manuals. You must have used one of the older ones in your course.

You are absolutely correct - it is the instructor that will make a course an excellent one!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Count me in Calvin,
I have been tied up all weekend and am looking forward to getting back in the water. I totally agree that we need to get more education considering we are both diving doubles and seem to have a appetite for depth.

:book:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...