Foot Pain After Diving ? Could be "Fin Foot"

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Foot Pain After Diving ? Could be "Fin Foot"

Post by BASSMAN »

Just a little Scuba food for thought: :book:

I've had this condition twice now, I think its from having my fin straps too tight.
At first it felt like a minor cramp in my foot, but then...
Severe soreness and swelling occurs two days after a dive.(just on top of my right foot)
Walking was very painfull for about a day!:crybaby:
The first time it happened I went to the doctor and he had no idea what it was. :dontknow: The next day it was better and gone by the third day. \:D/

I did not think it was from diving because it was a two day delayed reaction :dontknow:

I have switched to spring straps so I hope that will take care of it.

"Hope my reserch :smt024 on this will help someone else"

From the DAN FAQ's page:

Diving Medicine FAQs
Foot Pain After Diving

Q: After diving, When I got home, my feet were really sore and tender. It hurt to walk across the floor. Is this some sort of reaction?

A: The hyperemic condition you've described classically portrays a condition called ‘fin foot’. DAN receives a number of calls from divers, especially new ones, with new equipment who sometimes dive in very rough conditions. The complaints include redness, swelling and occasionally ‘bruising’ around the toes that may be very tender. In some cases walking may be difficult. Symptoms usually resolve in one to two days without treatment, but may require medical evaluation.

Improper finning techniques and tight or improperly fitted booties and fins will compression of the soft tissues of the foot and toes causing the problem. Symptoms may begin to occur in hours or over the course of 24 to 48 hours.
Edge
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Edge »

Bassman,

Thanks! I'm sure that will be helpful for many people.

The same thing just happened to a new diver that I know this weekend. DAN told her the same thing - but she was quite nervous before she new what caused the swelling.
"Helium doesn't reduce stupidity" Fishstiq

http://www.frogkickdiving.com
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

ouch. good to know for future reference!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets