Redundant air

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Redundant air

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've been thinking a lot about adding a redundant air source to my rig- I'm not ready to go with doubles yet, but I'm playing around with the idea of adding a 30 cf pony bottle with it's own reg and spg. What do you guys think- worthwhile, or a waste of money? I feel pretty confident in my gear, and I always dive with a buddy, but still.....it all boils down to that one O ring and first stage, and I have been seperated from my buddy a few times.....usually not for long, but still........ Am I being paranoid, or too paranoid, at any rate?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I think that's a great idea. I'd go with either a 19 or 30 but sounds like you're leaning toward the 30. The luxfer is tall and skinny. You'll need a bracket as well.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

You should do what Calvin and Dave have done. Just add another tank!! :supz: I think that a pony bottle is a good idea it works for ME. I like the piece of mind.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm going to be laying off on the doubles for a little while. I tweaked my lower back lifting them in and out of the truck. It's not just that they're heavy, but it's also an awkward shape to carry and lift, though I love diving them for so long.
](*,)
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I like the 30 becuase it is more air at depth and can be used (if planned) as a deco bottle. they are ussually 40s but it is great for your piece of mind, I want one as well :bootyshake:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Redundant air is never a bad idea if you use it properly. I sling an AL40 at times ... it's surprising how inobtrusive it is in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey Nailer, you know what they say, "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you!" :axe: There are sports where redundancy is not being paranoid, it's being smart! (Sky diving, flying, scuba, etc.) :book:

What can be bad about an alternate air source? =D>

A pony and reg will be my next "large" scuba gear purchase. I too dive with a buddy, and WILL NOT dive alone, but IMHO the peace of mind plus a chance to play with some deco gas makes a pony a worthwhile purchase, particularly for those who dive alot. Redundancy seems to always be a good idea in critical scuba equipment (lights, air, etc.)
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey Nailer:

Like the grate Bob B said Go for it there is no such thing as to much air in a Out of Air emergencey. I have been thinking I should get my self a little Pony bottle as well I am doing more and moe Solo diving these days I did one at Sund rock infact just befor heading home . after the Club BBQ last weekend.

Wife ask me about this verry same isue. so now I am looking for a pony as well I was thinking about a 30 cf. as well so if you get yours first let me know how you like it .

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Will do, Sparky. I'm interested in doing a solo dive here and there eventually, myself, but I won't even consider it without a seperate air source- you're one O ring away from drowning!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:Will do, Sparky. I'm interested in doing a solo dive here and there eventually, myself, but I won't even consider it without a seperate air source- you're one O ring away from drowning!
What's the need to go solo diving Nailer? You have plenty of good buds to go diving with at the drop of a hat (okay, yesterday was a fluke) :salute:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Calvin Tang wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Will do, Sparky. I'm interested in doing a solo dive here and there eventually, myself, but I won't even consider it without a seperate air source- you're one O ring away from drowning!
What's the need to go solo diving Nailer? You have plenty of good buds to go diving with at the drop of a hat (okay, yesterday was a fluke) :salute:
I had a whole dive club back out of the last dive of the day on me once and found my self still wanting to dive and no dive buddy

So I dove the North wall for a short shallow dive and made a grate dive to 54 feet for 30 min as long as you avoid overheads and tangle hazards Solo diving can be verry funn and rewordeing .

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Lol! I love diving w/ my buds and meeting new people! But....there's some attraction to the solo deal for me- I was fascinated by that guy at Sund Rock last weekend, doing solos to 200' and all. There's something about that independence and self-reliance I admire. I will try it, someday, when I'm ready, but I'm not that much of a loner- I'll be diving with you guys until you get a restraining order on me! :la:

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I just called in that restraining order Nailer, so you should get that pony as soon as possible. No really I did, Better paint that van a different color the Padi police are out for you. ](*,)

BFCW
:bootyshake:

LOL LOL LOL[/b]
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Nailer99 wrote:Will do, Sparky. I'm interested in doing a solo dive here and there eventually,
Solo diving huh!! that will get you alot of different opinions. I have done several solo dives, sometimes you cant find a dive buddy, sometimes you dont want a dive buddy! The way I see it most the time your same ocean buddy diving anyway. :partyman: The one thing you should consider if you do solo dive, let some one know where your diving at.. Juuust incase..
Who run barter town?
Edge
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Edge »

[quote="Grateful Diver"]Redundant air is never a bad idea if you use it properly. I sling an AL40 at times ... it's surprising how inobtrusive it is in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)[/quote]

I agree with Bob - redundant air is not a bad idea if used properly. However, there are ways redundant air can be used in an unsafe manner. For instance, choosing to switch to your redundant air source at the wrong time can leave you without air for inflation and at risk of drowning. Also, your buddy is your main redundant source - and you are his. If you are diving with someone who does not have a pony but you have become reliant on your pony and let your buddy skills suffer - your dive partner is now the one at risk.

I occasionally dive with a pony (slung like Bob's) especially when I am taking pictures. I just like to keep in mind that it does not insure my safety.

Just remember, if you are watching your air supply or applying "rock bottom" to your deep dives, you and your buddy should have no problem reaching the surface safely with or without a pony.

Jeanna
"Helium doesn't reduce stupidity" Fishstiq

http://www.frogkickdiving.com
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Speaking of pony bottles, does anyone have, or know of, a good system for mounting a pony to a single/bcd set up?

I've looked at the X Bracket and some others but thought I'd ask The Club for some ideas or opinions. Bob slings his. I heard that but I THINK I'd like to mount a skinny 30 to my AL80.

Thoughts?

Dave
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I forget the name, but I was just eyeballing a really neat bracket for this that mounts directly to your tank straps- manufactured locally. They have them at the Seattle UWS, and they're going to be on sale in a couple weeks at the diver's fair! I'll check on the brand name next time I'm there.

Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks, that's good timing as I think I heard the tanks are going to be on sale also...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

There's going to be some sweet deals on just about everything. I wrote a blog entry on the upcoming diver's fair.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Most likely the quick draw bracket from Ultimate Products ...

http://www.quickdrawbracket.com/news.ivnu

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Bob, I thought you were DIR trained? ;) Slinging a AL40 full of air is not DIR and I am a little confused at how you could recommend that or a pony bottle??? A slung bottle is great to have but the gas in it is not readily accessible. You still need to turn the bottle on and deploy the hose. Solo diving is not DIR but lets put that aside for now. If you want to dive solo that's fine with me but I would recommend doing it with doubles. If your back is giving you trouble then you might want to consider twin HP80's. They don't weigh much more than an E8 130!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:Most likely the quick draw bracket from Ultimate Products ...

http://www.quickdrawbracket.com/news.ivnu

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hmmm- it looked like that, but the name doesn't sound right, somehow. The one I was looking at was for a 30, too- but this one looks nice as well! Thanks for the link!

Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Any thought about going with smaller twins? They would probably weigh as much as a regular tank/bracket/pony combo.\

Just a thought.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

That Quick Draw bracket looks pretty good to me. Local company, too. Does anyone know if they are stocked at a local retail store?

Pricey little guys. (Welcome to $cuba!) :supz:
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

The few people I know who have the quick draw bracket complain about the pins freezing solid (over time) and not being able to remove the bracket.