robert ballard at benaroya hall

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

robert ballard at benaroya hall

Post by Burntchef »

check it out,

this is part of a five part series n.g. is doing here. i went last night and saw wade davis speak on cultural anthropology and while they may sound like snooze land it was amazing. the pictures and places this guy has traveled too is like 20 peoples dreams of travel, and its his job. he had just finished up a stay in columbia where he was being chased thru the jungle by kidnappers.

http://www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony ... ateid=5997

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngliv ... llard.html
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Oh, that sounds AWESOME! I'll have work on getting my evening free...

-Valerie
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Bob Ballard came to my theatre about 6 years ago-right after I started diving. It was so totally cool to meet him and listen to his lecture.
I think almost any diver would enjoy seeing him. If you can, go see him.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm.... need to work on getting there.

The last time you guys were ranting and raving about someone it turned out to be the amazing Rockfish Guru from So Cal (whose name escapes me right now) who was / is extremely entertaining in his writing and presentations. I, however, blew it off ](*,) then after buying a couple of his books and hearing the reports of the presentation (I beleive it was Val then as well) I was sorry I missed it.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dlh
Submariner

Re: robert ballard at benaroya hall

Post by dlh »

Burntchef wrote:check it out,

this is part of a five part series n.g. is doing here. i went last night and saw wade davis speak on cultural anthropology and while they may sound like snooze land it was amazing. the pictures and places this guy has traveled too is like 20 peoples dreams of travel, and its his job. he had just finished up a stay in columbia where he was being chased thru the jungle by kidnappers.

http://www.seattlesymphony.org/symphony ... ateid=5997

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngliv ... llard.html
I have been subscribing to this series for a few years now, and it is fantastic! The presenters are almost always excellent, and at least 1 or 2 of the topics every year are focused on the Ocean, UW exploration, and various UW critters. Robert Ballard has been doing a lot of exploration of ancient shipwrecks in the Mediteranean for the last several years, so this should be a really good one.

If you can still get tickets, I highly recommend it. NGLive is pretty much sold out every year, but they added as second session this year due to the high demand. The hall was about 95% full when I went on Sunday even though it overlapped with the Superbowl!
Dave
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Tom Nic wrote:

The last time you guys were ranting and raving about someone it turned out to be the amazing Rockfish Guru from So Cal (whose name escapes me right now) who was / is extremely entertaining in his writing and presentations. I, however, blew it off ](*,) then after buying a couple of his books and hearing the reports of the presentation (I beleive it was Val then as well) I was sorry I missed it.
Milton Love was the man's name, and he's well worth the price of admission.

-Valerie
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Who's going to this? I'm thinking of getting some tickets. I also noticed that if we organize a group of 10 or more there is significant savings on the ticket price, and the "organizer" receives a complimentary ticket which could offset the price just a bit more. Is anyone Definately planning on going?
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Pez7378 wrote:Who's going to this? I'm thinking of getting some tickets. I also noticed that if we organize a group of 10 or more there is significant savings on the ticket price, and the "organizer" receives a complimentary ticket which could offset the price just a bit more. Is anyone Definately planning on going?
I'll be there on the 25th, but I've already got tickets. Should be very interesting.
Dave