Gas Management Seminar ???

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Gas Management Seminar ???

Post by Grateful Diver »

Would anyone be interested in a free gas management seminar?

Been meaning to offer this up for a while anyway ... seems like this might be a good time.

The seminar material is adapted from the handbook I wrote for my AOW class and it covers some of the fundamental concepts of managing your air supply ... like how to determine your consumption rate, converting the air in your tank between cubic feet and psi, how to figure out how much air you will need for a given dive plan, how to calculate rock bottom and turn pressure, and some tips on how to use your air more efficiently.

This material isn't normally taught in any recreational dive class ... although I think it should be.

Depending on interest, I can find a suitable venue ... or perhaps we can convince Calvin to let us use his office conference room again.

What do y'all think ??

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm interested. This wasn't covered at all in my OW or AOW, and it's not even in my textbooks.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Re: Gas Management Seminar ???

Post by thelawgoddess »

that's a wonderful idea, grateful diver! if any of you (particularly newer divers like me) have never been exposed to thinking about some of these items, i would highly recommend attending this type of seminar.
Grateful Diver wrote:This material isn't normally taught in any recreational dive class ... although I think it should be.
it was in ours, and i am truly appreciative of that. when we did our last dive for our scuba diver certification, we had to plan it -- and part of our dive plan included a hard and fast turnaround pressure, taking into consideration those fundamental concepts grateful diver mentions, and factoring in that we are new to diving and need to allow for inefficient breathing and other issue that may come up on the way back that might slow us down. we were taught that aside from getting to see special wildlife, there should be NO surprises underwater, and there should be NO reason to ever run out of air. (and yes, those were really emphasized.) we were also taught throughout the class the importance of stopping or slowing down and breathing normally when trying to work through things.

and although these concepts were taught to us in our class, i am sure it will take some time before they become easier to contemplate and compute, and i definitely realize there is still more to learn (in general and about myself in particular). i wonder if it takes a concerted effort to keep thinking about all of these things once diving becomes old hat, but i think they are really important for the safety of you and your buddy (and potentially those around you).
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Bob

You know I'm there (assuming I'm not working, that is)

-Valerie
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

[quote="Nailer99"]I'm interested. quote]

Me too.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I would also like to join.
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

If Calvin would be willing to host it we could do another BBQ??
Who run barter town?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Now we're talking!!! We could also do another crab boil... but of course, that would require several people to go diving first. I'm not sure about that... does anyone know some people who'd be willing to go dive for crab? \:D/
Doug ... you must be hungry ...

Actually, I'm thinking I might even just do it some evening at my place in Federal Way and order pizza ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I just want to find out what kind of bracket you need to mount that farting donkey to your tank, Sounder! That would be some hard-core gas management!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Bob,
I'm interested in your class / info.
Not interested in the donky gas
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I would like to be in on this one as well might even beabule to make it as I did get my truck fixed

work is the wrnech in the cog as usal but I would be a maybe

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
ArmyJeff
Avid Diver

Post by ArmyJeff »

I would love to attend any class that improves my diving..............By the way I am Jeff....the NooB!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

So just a thought Bob :

will you aslo be talking about proper Dive planning? as it will relate directly to the subject you are going to be teaching? now that would be a good lesson.

I for one would like to hear that againe.
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

sparky wrote:So just a thought Bob :

will you aslo be talking about proper Dive planning? as it will relate directly to the subject you are going to be teaching? now that would be a good lesson.

I for one would like to hear that againe.
Sparky
A good thought Sparky ... but the purpose of the seminar isn't so much to teach a class as it is to let people know what the concepts and principles are ... and what they should be thinking about when they prepare a dive plan.

I do teach dive planning as part of the AOW class ... along with a more in-depth look at how to apply the principles of gas management into your dive plan.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I would be interested also.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Would Friday night, Aug. 04 work for everyone? Looking at my calendar, I have lots of mid-week evenings open, but I'm pretty well booked on week-ends through about mid-Sept.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Works for me too; just put it on my schedule! I'll bring some snackies too.

Thanks Bob. :prayer:

-Valerie
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

August 4th works for me!

Location?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Location ... my place ... meet time 6:30 ... I'll start the seminar at 7.

2706 S. 301st St.
Federal Way, WA

You can Mapquest it or PM me for directions.

For those who don't want to brave the traffic to head down south, I just noticed that Mark T has announced a gas management seminar at Fifth D in Issaquah on the same night.

Either way, the knowledge is worth having ... I encourage all (especially newer divers) to take advantage of the opportunities ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Traffic-wise that's a suicide mission from where I'm at but please put me down as a maybe. Perhaps we might take advantage of the HOV lane if anyone else is travelling north to south for this gig... :bounce:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I live in Granite Falls thats north of MLT. 6:30 fri night thats gonna be tough But Im sure I can get out of work a little early! We can carpool if you want.. Ive heard alot of good things about Bobs classes and i'm looking forward to it. I would also like to say thanks for putting this on for the NWDC.. :supz:
Who run barter town?
ArmyJeff
Avid Diver

Post by ArmyJeff »

Put me down as a maybe too. I am finishing up a field exercise that day and I might be able to sneak away early.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

DiverDown wrote:I live in Granite Falls thats north of MLT. 6:30 fri night thats gonna be tough But Im sure I can get out of work a little early! We can carpool if you want.. Ive heard alot of good things about Bobs classes and i'm looking forward to it. I would also like to say thanks for putting this on for the NWDC.. :supz:
Actually on Friday doesn't most of your gridlock go south to north? I think it'll be smooth from here to south of downtown, then it's HOV time! \:D/

OH. Unless some moron decides to play bumper cars, then all bets are of. #-o
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

All of I-5 sucks either way!! But My wife and I used to race cars at Monroe so i'm sure we can "intimidate" our way down there in time!! :supz:
Who run barter town?
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I would like to come. I can sit on someones head if room gets tight, and then later, maybe we can mosh. :smt035