Just Renewed My Dan Insurance

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Just Renewed My Dan Insurance

Post by Tom Nic »

Just renewed my Dan insurance - after accidentally letting it expire at the end of June. [-X

Should have paid closer attention - I actually did two dives this month after my insurance expired without realizing it. :violent1:

$99 a year for the highest cost membership, $45 for the lowest. Best Scuba Unit you'll spend!! :supz:

Don't dive without insurance! Others could tell the story better than I - but one incident without the insurance, especially if you're in some remote corner of the globe - and you (or your wallet) wi'll be toast!

So... how's your dive insurance situation? :smt064

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/default.aspx
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Just Renewed My Dan Insurance

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:So... how's your dive insurance situation? :smt064
Both Mrs. Sounder and I are current with the "Preferred" level coverage. DAN insurance isn't only for diving, but for traveling in general... if you get hurt or sick more than 50 miles from your home zipcode, DAN will arrange your transport home.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Thanks for the reminder Tom!

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

DAN doesn't send out reminders when policies are about to lapse?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:DAN doesn't send out reminders when policies are about to lapse?
I got one - it was actually an "early renewal offer." I figured without a reminder I would have forgotten so I paid it then.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:DAN doesn't send out reminders when policies are about to lapse?
They do. I'm sure they sent me something but I probably thought it was a fund raising or other mailing.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

YOIKS!

Thanks Tom ... your post just caused me to look at my DAN card and, to my surprise, it expired a couple months ago ...

... that'll get fixed tonight ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:... if you get hurt or sick more than 50 miles from your home zipcode, DAN will arrange your transport home.
Cool!I've got me a bottle of caster oil :vom: and a one-way-ticket to Seattle! :evil4:

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:YOIKS!

Thanks Tom ... your post just caused me to look at my DAN card and, to my surprise, it expired a couple months ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dude????? For someone in the water as much as you are, that COULD have been an extremely expensive oversight! #-o

Hey, EVERYONE....as someone that has had an extremely serious occasion in which I desperately needed my DAN coverage, I would urge you ALL to make sure that your coverage is up to date. If you don't have coverage....GET IT. Being wthout coverage for a diving accident can get awfully expensive awfully fast.

When I took my "hit" the one comfort that I had was that no matter what they were doing with me, to me, or for me they always said, "don't worry, it's covered!".

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:YOIKS!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
And if it happened to GD, it can happen to anyone!! ...which was the main reason I started this thread.

I HATE junk mail, as do most of us, which can cause me to get careless with some renewals.

Check your expirations everyone!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Mine's good through the end of the year-but it's a good reminder.

Thanks Tom!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I always send in my renewal and usually do the early thing but this is a great thread. Thanks for starting it, Tom.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Funny, even though I know I'm current through Feb. '09, I still felt compelled to check my card. Thanks for reminding us Tom, this is an important topic and it should be re-visited from time to time so the newer members can hear how good DAN coverage is! =D>
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Tom Nic wrote:Just renewed my Dan insurance - after accidentally letting it expire at the end of June. [-X

Should have paid closer attention - I actually did two dives this month after my insurance expired without realizing it. :violent1:

$99 a year for the highest cost membership, $45 for the lowest. Best Scuba Unit you'll spend!! :supz:

Don't dive without insurance! Others could tell the story better than I - but one incident without the insurance, especially if you're in some remote corner of the globe - and you (or your wallet) wi'll be toast!

So... how's your dive insurance situation? :smt064

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/default.aspx
Thanks for the reminder! My wife missed a $1300 Nautilus liveaboard trip last year due to a poorly timed sinus infection. The DAN Prefered insurance policy paid up (minus $250 I think) for the loss. That alone probably covered every DAN policy payment I've made in the last 15 years. The higher end policy is a good deal!

Dave
Dave
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

We were/are on the automatic renewal program but I checked my online account anyway and found that my cc info was out of date AND that we were on the Master program rather than the Preferred. So, thanks to y'all, I went ahead and added the $70 upgrade fee which will be, I think, WELL worth it!

It seems to me that any of "us" (really active divers) should just go ahead and be on the automatic renewal program.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Turns out I was renewed ... just (for some reason) never got the new card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
mtnplayva
Just Settling In

Post by mtnplayva »

:smt038 Thanks for the reminder - I am a new diver (just certified 7/6) and kept meaning to get the insurance. Read through the stuff yesterday on their site and realized that 5th dive I took after the classes were over wouldn't have been covered. Insurance has been purchased so I am now good to go for the next dive trip, which sadly won't be until the first weekend in August. Taking the AOW course so it may have been covered but I didn't want to wait and find it it wasn't :)
My dives are in memory of Jennifer Coyne, RN 1982 - 2007
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Mine expires July 31st. Like Tom, I got the reminder and have not renewed it yet. I have the Basic "master" plan for me and my daughter. She has not dove much this past year, but if she dives only once a year, I feel its worth having her on DAN insurace.Thanks to John Rawlings for sharing his testimony, I am convinced It is one of the most important pieces of dive gear I or my daughter owns. :supz:

Thanks Tom, for the additional reminder! :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: