Continuing Education

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Continuing Education

Post by Tangfish »

Well, I've decided to go on in my dive training with an instructor recommended by Mr. Rawlings. I'm going to be starting class soon, taking Advanced Recreational Trimix (basically, recreational trimix and advanced nitrox). I think that's the name of the course anyway, there are different references in different places around the web, but basically using Trimix at a recreational range of depth and advance nitrox (higher percentage O2 than the regular nitrox cert.)

Val and Bob, my future instructor mentioned that you two might be thinking of starting around the same time. Bob, you mentioned a few months ago that you were thinking of doing the advanced nitrox portion only. Is this still the case? I still haven't made up my mind entirely yet on which track to do, the one mentioned above or else advanced nitrox followed by normoxic trimix (more catered to going full on tech).

Thoughts?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Well, I've decided to go on in my dive training with an instructor recommended by Mr. Rawlings.
Well at least with kudos like that, must mean that your in good hands with compitent instructors!! I know and have seen in classes about shortcuts and "to easy" courses. I like the DIR style but mabey not some of the politics. And would love to go in a different direction with my diving.
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm going IANTD, not DIR. There is some crossover, but a different mentality from what I know so far.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Great to see that you are moving forward with the training, Calvin!

Both Bob and Valerie have already taken the Recreational Trimix course, so their next "level" would be the Advanced Nitrox.

I have another friend of mine getting ready to start with the Advanced Nitrox training in September. Perhaps you'll be in the same class.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Yes, I'd talked to Jerome some time back about continuing training this fall. The Rec Trimix class was wonderful, and I'm looking at Advanced Rec Trimix, which apparently encompasses Advanced Nitrox as well. I can't say enough good things about Jerome, and IANTD; their whole philosphy really fit with me (very Zen and holistic).

-Valerie