Is it time for another gas management seminar?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Is it time for another gas management seminar?

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've been thinking about maybe offering the gas management seminar again ... haven't done one in almost a year.

Is there interest? Many of you have already done them.

I'd be especially interested in hearing from our southern (Oregon and south Washington) contingent. If someone would offer to help me host one in the Portland or Vancouver area, I'd be willing to travel down there to do it.

What say you all?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Is it time for another gas management seminar?

Post by spatman »

i might be able to host it, depending on the weekend chosen...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I need a refresher from my commercial diving days fo sho.. also for carrying it on my back. 0]

Oregon may be too far for me currently, but keep me in the pipe. I'd really like to attend one at some point. (I've got time, as I am expecting to have all my gear back by spring).

Thanks,
D(B)
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Bob we'd be interested if it's closer to the Seattle area.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I would be interested in attending this Bob, especially if it is down south. Melissa too!
Bob
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Bob, I would love to attend this if it's down this direction - in fact I'd not only like to host it at my home but you'd also be welcome to use our guestroom. We could have about 10 people most likely, or I can find another location in town if needed. I can put out a message on the Oregon Scuba list to see if there's interest if you like?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

That would be perfect, Janna. I'll send you a PM a bit later today and we can start discussing details.

Thanks!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

JimmyEis
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JimmyEis »

Count my wife and I as a couple more portland people that would love to attend the class. Very generous offer and we appreciate it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

OK, folks- at Bob's request, I just removed all the off-topic stuff from this thread- some of them were mine. Sorry, Bob! Let's keep this thread on-track, please, everyone else!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Now that the thread is back on track... Please count me in on this class. Portland is still a two-hour drive for me, but I'd love to take the class and meet some NWDC members.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Great news!

I've been in touch with Janna ... she's offered to host the seminar. We're discussing dates. So it looks like it'll be across the river in Vancouver, WA.

I'm inclined to wait till after the new year, as I'm pretty booked for November, and December is usually pretty busy with holiday activities.

Does mid-January suit everyone who's interested?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'll come for a refresher if there's room. but if space is tight, i'll give up my spot for someone who's never been....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:i'll come for a refresher if there's room. but if space is tight, i'll give up my spot for someone who's never been....
Ditto for me - my son lives in Vancouver so it'd be a great excuse... but I'll also gladly give up my spot if things fill up.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey guys, I was originally going to have it in my living room, but now have decided that to accommodate as many as want to come, I'm going to find a location in Vancouver/Portland somewhere that can allow for oodles of people. We'll have it on Saturday, January 17th, from about 5pm - 8pm.

Now, before you Seattleites start griping :crybaby: about how far it is to come down here for this seminar - bear in mind we drive the 3+ hour trek ALL THE TIME to go diving up in your neck-of-the-woods. Our divemobiles are set for auto-pilot. We know every rest stop along the way. We drive up, do 2-3 dives, then drive home. Sometimes even in the pouring rain. And there are a LOT of Oregon/SW Washington based divers. So, you know...I'm just sayin'.... :-({|=

I am very thrilled that Bob is willing to come down here for this! The Portland area tends to get forgotten in the shuffle sometimes, yet there's a very large dive community here. So I'm very much looking forward to it.

So get it marked on your calendars!

And let us know if you've got any questions at all. And OK. You can gripe if you really really want to. :)

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nwscubamom wrote:Now, before you Seattleites start griping :crybaby: about how far it is to come down here for this seminar - bear in mind we drive the 3+ hour trek ALL THE TIME to go diving up in your neck-of-the-woods. Our divemobiles are set for auto-pilot. We know every rest stop along the way. We drive up, do 2-3 dives, then drive home. Sometimes even in the pouring rain. And there are a LOT of Oregon/SW Washington based divers. So, you know...I'm just sayin'.... :-({|=
:supz:

as the kids say these days: word to the nwscubamom.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'll happily do a seminar at another time for the Pugetropolins, if there's enough interest.

This time I wanted to make it easier for our southern dive buddies ... many of whom have made the long trek up here to take a class from me.

Hope to see a good turnout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

If it's in Jan, I may be able to make it down there. Not sure though.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Saturday, January 17th, 2009
Vancouver, WA somewhere - exact location TBA
5pm - 8pm
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

nwscubamom wrote:Now, before you Seattleites start griping :crybaby: about how far it is to come down here for this seminar - bear in mind we drive the 3+ hour trek ALL THE TIME to go diving up in your neck-of-the-woods. Our divemobiles are set for auto-pilot. We know every rest stop along the way. We drive up, do 2-3 dives, then drive home. Sometimes even in the pouring rain. And there are a LOT of Oregon/SW Washington based divers. So, you know...I'm just sayin'.... :-({|=
Move closer to civilization :boxing: :violent1: ](*,)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Alex wrote:
Move closer to civilization :boxing: :violent1: ](*,)
we did. which is why we live down here, with the civilized people. :smt064
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

nwscubamom wrote:Saturday, January 17th, 2009
Vancouver, WA somewhere - exact location TBA
5pm - 8pm
Moving thread back on topic-should be very cool! Too bad I'm coming back from Bonaire that day, otherwise I'd totally be in! :bootyshake:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I'm interested in a north seminar - Anyone else up north interested?

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

smike wrote:I'm interested in a north seminar - Anyone else up north interested?

Mike
Very much so. The more practice the better...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I will happily schedule a north seminar if there's enough interest.

I've done several in the south King County/Tacoma area ... how about one further north? Perhaps someone who does business at one of the northern shops ... in north King or Snohomish County ... could check with their LDS and see if they'd be interested in hosting it. If so, I'd be happy to schedule one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I would definately attend the Portland area seminar. I can use all the education I can get.
Last edited by ORDiver on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.