Altitude Diving

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Altitude Diving

Post by Nwbrewer »

So after trying and failing to find an altitude specialty class locally, I've decided on the self study method of learning to dive at altitude.

I figured there may be some transplants around from some of the more elevated states that are familiar with diving at altitude who can give me some pointers. Anybody?

Anyone have some good recomended reading on the subject? Any instructors on the board who have experience diving at altitude? All help appreciated.

Jake
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I've not found a lot on the Altitude area of diving, but what I did read was from PADI's Adventures in Diving book. The chapter covers considerations, special tables, limitations etc, and is quite informative.

-Valerie
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks Valerie. I'll see if I can find a copy of the PADI book somewhere. Wonder if I can find one on EBAY? My NAUI AOW book didn't doesn't seem to have anything. Will they let me just buy the book if I'm not enrolled in a class?

Jake
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There are many divers in the Tahoe area (~6500 ft) that don't do anything "special"

In the no deco setting a normal ascent would be 30ft/min with 1 min stops every 10ft starting at 50% of your max depth.

Working out the relative pressure changes, you'll see that sea level to 6500 ft is equal about 7 ft of water.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Hey you can check this post out..
Who run barter town?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks DiverDown.

Maybe I'll Pm PinkPadigal and see how her trip went. Still looking for a copy of adventures in diving if anybody has a spare copy laying around.

Thanks again.

Jake
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey nwbrewer, my boyfriend and i are total mountain people and want to learn about altitude diving, too. would you be interested in finding some semi-private instruction together?
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

One of the instructors in my store (David Fessler) is certified to teach Alititude diving. He has done different types. If anyone is interested in the specialty, just call the shop and we can set it up.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks Amy.

I think I'm going to work on some research this winter, maybe look into doing a class this spring. Do you know what he uses for a text book? Does PADI have a seperate Altitude diver text? Thanks to everyone for the help.

Jake
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

hi
abit late maybe

If you drive up and dive the same day, then the first dive is actuall a repetative dive(i think). If you drive up the day before, your body aclimates to the decreased pressure and the dives start just like a sea level dive. The actual depth and the theoretical depth varies with the altitude that must be taken into account (computers will correct themselves automatically;read your manual) If you are at 5000 feet and dive to 70 feet on your depth gauge; the depth to use for the tables would be 84 feet which can limit you bottom time

spend the night and use the modified depth tables, and have fun in the cold clear water.

not an expert, just trying to help
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks for the info nice-diver, I can still use all the infor I can get.

Jake
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Hey, we used to dive altitude all the time (being land locked and all)... The NAUI advanced book is really pretty worthless, however, the NAUI Master Diver book has a small section on atlitude diving on page 170-176. This book is by far the best 'text book' I have seen and would reccomend buying it for general reference anyway. If you are going to the HC trip in December we can discuss altitude diving with you... there really isn't much too it and Im not sure its worth paying for a class anyway. They make altitude tables and many computers adjust for altitude. I hope this helps, you should be able to purchase the book w/o the class, if you can't let me know, I have a few copies.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Hey Cera, I just noticed your post, thanks for the reply. I'll see what I can do about finding a copy of the Master diver text. I won't be able to make the HC trip unfortunately.

I'm still diving tables for now, I was looking at picking up the NAUI RGBM Altitude tables for diving in the Cascades. I know a lot of people just trust their computers to do the altitude compensation for them, but I kind of like understanding what's going on before trying something new like that.

Jake
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I agree that know what is going in is key!! I didn't know that NAUI had RGBM Altitude tables??? Hum, those things are multiplying... I blame Weinke!!!! ha ha
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

NAUI has RGBM Tables for, 0-2,000, 2,000-5,000 and 5,000-10,000 feet for air, EAN32 and EAN36.

I read Weinke's Diving Above Sea level. Lot's of information, and a lot of formula's that require a good grasp of decompression theory to understand. (Which I don't yet have, but I'm working on it.) ](*,)

Scuba.com has them,
http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?c ... lue=058190
and I know NWSD will get them for you if you ask.

Jake
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

cera, can you bring one of those books for me? whats the cost of them, i would love to have a good reference/dive master book on my hands.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Yes, I will try to remember to bring one... I need to check on the cost, I think they are kinda spendy, Ill look in the morn and let you know.