Dives changed after class to Sund Rock!

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Dives changed after class to Sund Rock!

Post by nwscubamom »

The folks who manage Sund Rock, Hoodsport 'n' Dive, have bent over backwards to accomodate us on Saturday, Oct 14th. Therefore, our dives will NOT be at Twanoh State Park after all.

I realize it will be dark when we get out of there after two dives, probably 7pm -ish, but I think it should be worthwhile!

They are reducing the regular $15 fee to $10 for those on the class roster.

If you are planning on diving that day, please make sure you let us know!

- Janna :)
Last edited by nwscubamom on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hi Janna,

I was kind of bummed that we were changing the venue.. My buddy who lives from paycheck to paycheck will probably not be able to make it now. I could try to pay her way but then she would just get mad at me. :angryfire:

Also, I was wondering about Sund rock and the low Oxegyn event that is happening right now. Do we want a bunch of divers there right now?

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Holly, sorry to hear that :(

I got info from a local diver about the condition of Twanoh's marine life right now, and it's VERY dismal there. Mostly just icky bacteria growing, no critters to speak of.

We felt it best to move the dives to a location where you could practice some of what you just learned in class. Sund Rock is the closest location to Belfair on Hood Canal, that will be able to accomodate as large of a group as we're anticipating.

Although Sund Rock is under stress right now, there's a good chance that by the 14th, the winds will have shifted and the conditions will start to reverse. Even if not, you will still be able to dive and see some things. It would actually be good for other divers to be aware of what these low oxygen events are like, so they can help educate others about these conditions.

I hope things will work out so your dive buddy will be able to attend.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Thanks for the claification Janna,

I too hope that I can still convince my buddy to come and dive.

Another question to ask is: How can we get the non-diving public to see something like the devistation that is happening there (the pictures were very sad) and become aware? How can we as divers help the situation? Other than not bothering the fish... There is a bigger picture here and I don't understand all of it. ](*,) But I am willing to bet you 100's of years ago before people were living and poluting the waters around that area there weren't fish dying because there wasn't enough oxygen!!! :angryfire: Sorry I know that's a little off topic but it should be addressed. that's my .02 psi.... :smt119

Holly
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Holly, the story has been on the news and in newspapers this past week. I've personally had two reporters call for information and they've written stories. Other divers have mentioned they'd seen the story on the news.

The best way to get the info out there is through the media and by word of mouth. Photos say it all. After my dives on Saturday, I emailed all the government folks I knew, pointing them to the photos, and telling about the conditions.

Although it is a natural cyclical occurance, and somewhat weather dependent, you're right, the pollution has added additional stresses that are compounding the problem.

Scientists from the UW have been working on the problem, and money has been set aside this past year by Governer Gregoire to work on the leaking septic systems along Hood Canal. Progress is being made.

Look here for more info:
http://www.hoodcanal.washington.edu/
http://www.psat.wa.gov/Programs/hoodcan ... l09-06.htm

And here's a great list of what's being done to help the problems by the Puget Sound Action Team:
http://www.psat.wa.gov/Publications/new ... php?id=117

Hope this helps...

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hi Janna,

Thanks for the info.. I noticed on one of the sites that there is a place for donations.. That is probably the best a lot of us can do to help the situation. Other than not using pesticides on our lawns, not washing our cars where it can run off into the sewers (recycled carwashes people), and a few others that I am forgetting off the top of my head right now..

Looks like you have the situation in hand... I am glad that it is making the news.. I don't live around there so that's probably why I haven't heard anything about it till now... Plus I am still a new diver so I haven't even been over there to dive!

Cheers,

Holly
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

So how far is it to Sund Rock from Belfair?
We could always come to Tacoma and dive Les Davis Pier? (It's Free)
Just a thought. :dontknow:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Great thoughts, but only one hitch!

Since the classes are very generously being sponsored by Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group, and the Puget Sound Action Team, specifically to promote the surveying of Hood Canal by recreational divers, we need to dive Hood Canal. (and make no mistake, the classes are quite expensive to put on so that they can be offered to YOU guys for free!)

This is part of their outreach program to help educate the public and receive help from recreational divers regarding the exact problems taking place right now in Hood Canal.

So you asked what you can do to help Hood Canal? Come to the classes and learn the fish and invertebrates, and do marine life monitoring on your recreational dives there.

Oh, and to answer your question, it's about 35min drive to Hoodsport from Belfair. Only about 20 min further than Twanoh would have been.

Hope that helps explain it a bit better!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Crystal Clear!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i'm a little bummed about the change in site as well, but only because that's going to make getting back to seattle a bit more involved. i would really like to see that site, though. maybe i can find a place to crash on saturday night and just dive over there somewhere on sunday as well. :-)

btw, i also found the pictures very sad. i think it's great that you are trying to get the word out ... as i personally had never even heard of it. really looking forward to the classes!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yeah, I feel for you too.

I have a THREE HOUR drive ahead of me that night to get back home after class.

We can all commiserate together :-({|=

hehe!!!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Here's why Twanoh is a baaaad idea....

Post by nwscubamom »

Bill Haynes, a diver in Allyn, WA, sent this to me.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/local/art ... 54,00.html

Check out the photo...I think we just might want to skip diving at Twanoh for now, eh?

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Not dive in Twanoh...You Think! Ugh.. How gross is that... Very scary too... :vom:
go_nudi
Avid Diver

Post by go_nudi »

well, the link only gets me to some subscriber page so I have no idea about any yucky pictures. Why not dive Twanoh?
Neat
Underwater
Dilly-dallying
Invertebrate
Busy
Roaming
Along
Nice
Calm
&
Happy
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Can't get the photos, but here's the text

Post by nwscubamom »

Bacteria Taking Over Portions of Hood Canal

Environment | Biologists haven't finished mapping the extent of the fluffy white material growing where oxygen is low.
By ChristopherDunagan, cdunagan@kitsapsun.com
September 22, 2006

Belfair

Some underwater areas of Hood Canal have become an alien landscape, devoid of sea life and inhabited by a fluffy white bacteria that grows in extremely low-oxygen conditions.

The bacteria, which were growing below 50 feet of water near Twanoh State Park, were discovered by divers for the Skokomish Tribe, according to a research report released Thursday. The divers, searching for other invasive species known as tunicates, found the cottony bacteria growing in mats up to 3.5 feet thick.

Dave Herrera, fisheries manager for the Skokomish Tribe, said it appears that conditions in southern Hood Canal are worsening.

"This is certainly within the area where the lowest levels of oxygen have been seen over the past two years," Herrera said, "but to see what was found out there was pretty shocking to us."

An inspection of eight random areas between Twanoh State Park on the south shore and Belfair State Park on the north shore found:

Areas covered entirely by the bacteria with no sea life present.

Areas without bacteria and live animals present.

Patchy areas with just ajelly-like substrate that contained dead salmon fry, jellyfish and crabs.

All areas below 50 feet contained the bacterial mats, and they appeared to increase with depth, though the divers did not descend below 68 feet, according to the report.

"Our assessment was just three days," Herrera said. "We don’t know the extent (of the bacteria) to the west. Even greater, we’d like to start focusing attention on marine resources that live there — or lived there. We’d like to see a lot more work done to assess what is happening to clams, oysters, geoduck, crab, shrimp ..."

While the oceanographic studies of currents, nitrogen releases and plankton growth are important, he said, additional biological assessments are needed. The appearance of the bacterial mats might even be used as an indicator of low-oxygen conditions, the report suggests.

"Our treaty resources are disappearing, or appear to be disappearing," Herrera said. "We need to look at things a lot more closely."

Oceanographer Jan Newton, science director for the Hood Canal Dissolved Oxygen Program, said such bacteria are associated with low-oxygen conditions.

"We know that area has had low oxygen for a long, long time," Newton said. "It is not surprising that it (the bacterial growth) is there."

She agreed that more biological assessments should be funded.

During the survey, divers observed dead fish at several places where the mats were present.

"No animals at these sites appeared to be normal and unstressed," states the report. "Dead crabs, jellyfish and tunicates were found at these sites. (At three locations), a total of 118 dead Dungeness crabs were recorded. Most of these were intact and buried in the substrate. They were black in color and crumbled when handled at some locations."

Samples of the bacteria were collected for laboratory analysis, and the Environmental Protection Agency is expected to send divers to the area in coming days. Biologists speculate that the bacteria are one or more species of Beggiatoa, an anaerobic bacteria that grows in extremely low-oxygen conditions in contact with sediments, such as on the bottom of a bay.

----------
- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

At what point does this become hazerdouse to dive in?
Or, is that not a concern.
I mean, if this is killing several, if not all, of the life in the water that come in contact with, Shouldn't it be of somesort of concern to people / divers who come in contact with this Bacteria? :dontknow:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think it has to do with the bacteria showing up where there already is low O2 levels and then consuming more. I haven't read anything that says this bacteria is a problem for people, and we're bringing our own gas with us, but that's a great question for Janna.

Please share what you learn about it this weekend when you return!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I thought you guys might find this article interesting, given the low levels of O2 affecting the species in HC:

study - shrimp on a treadmill
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's funny! All it's missing is the theme to raw hide or another classic cowboy theme while the horses run!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!