N end Monday Night Muk report 5/8

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

N end Monday Night Muk report 5/8

Post by H20doctor »

Well I got to the Muk for the early dive at 5 pm..to see Fishtiq there and other divers , I was lucky to get parking as to the other group that was there… we geared up and Sheahan was here also.. the water was really really choppy with huge waves as we got in.. we swam out a bit and dropped… hit bottom at about 15 feet and found the slope, Vis was Craptastic !!! really really crappy… I have never had this type of vis or seen this in Puget sound since I started diving in 2001… Im kinda getting sick of the no vis / algae Snot vis… any way we headed down to the Dome and I found it crawling in life… I got my camera on to get ready to shoot , but earlier that day I had rinsed it out and cleaned it good… But when I got it down it was full of foggy mist!!!! ARGH .. so no shots on this dive , we were there for a bit and then made our way over to the Boat, no octo there yet , just some rock fish hanging out.. up to the, sheahan was trying out his new backplate and getting the feel for the trim , and here at the boat we decided to do some underwater Flips and Rolls, Joe went first ..then me… up to the dock and over to the stuff.. I signaled joe to go to the Pyramid and on the way there we decided to just head up and do our safety stop.. Several times during this snot dive I lost sight of Joe and Sheahan, it was that thick of goo, So make sure you have a bright primary peoples….
Dive 2
Its now about 7 and sunnydude has showed up.. we get into the water and I fell on my ass over the log because of the waves smashing and crashing.. but im good and not hurt… We decide to hit the Pyramid first to see whats there on it… We get to it and see that some of the bricks have fallen over and toppled… nothing here , down to the Geo dome again and my camera is loaded and ready… as we swim I spot a nice Juvi Octo and we stop to admire him, This is seans first octo and joe gets him to Ink.. down to the dome and I gots me my shots of the shaggy nudi and the egg cluster… I had to hover and maneuver a lot because there was no way for me to stabilize my self and also there was a lot of problems trying to get my light on the subject so I could get the money shot… So my next project is a video / camera light set up… im done with the dome and drop to the lower street sign at 70 feet, here I see a funny looking fish that I haven’t seen here… and it turns out to be a Mosshead war Bonnet…score !!! I flag sean and joe over and joe gets his turn at shooting picks…. We came up after this and all in all it was a good day for pics and shooting Macro shots… vis needs to clear up cause this stuff is nasty…
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: N end Monday Night Muk report 5/8

Post by cardiver »

During the summer months you shouldn't kkep your camera/housing in the car with the ac on. Put it in the trunk or keep it in a bag in the rear of your car/suv, etc.....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

octo 1.JPG
octo 2.JPG
shaggy mouse.JPG

war 1.JPG

war 2.JPG

war 3.JPG
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Nice pics! Warbonetts and shaggies are my favorite critters to snap pics of!
Attachments
CIMG0024.JPG
CIMG2200.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Nice Report :supz: I should have stayed for the second dive, to see that octo. When are we going again?
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

I couldn't agree more, the vis was craptastic in a bad way. Even close up macro shots were full of backscatter, as I will soon prove with my blotchy evidence. Doc pretty much covered the dives, all I have to add are a couple pictures.

Dive 1

Cool pic ruined by backscatter
Mukilteo 001.jpg
Hermit with personality
Mukilteo 007.jpg
Nudi's on the geodome
Mukilteo 017.jpg
A small crab dreams big
Mukilteo 027.jpg
Albino-ish flatfish
Mukilteo 028.jpg
During our surface interval, I saw something new. A couple decided to go swimming, him in trunks and her in a bikini. They swam out to the end of the small pier, climbed onto the pier and dove in a couple times, then swam back to shore. Quite a spectacle.
Mukilteo 029.jpg
Mukilteo 031.jpg
Mukilteo 031.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Dive #2, and Sunnydudes octo.....

Romance is in the column... :sign10:
Mukilteo 034.jpg
Sean's octo
Mukilteo 036.jpg
Large Sailfin
Mukilteo 037.jpg
Mukilteo 039.jpg
Mukilteo 046.jpg
Mukilteo 046.jpg (132.12 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
Mukilteo 055.jpg
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice pics and report!

FWIW, your Warbonnet is a Decorated, not a Mosshead, Warbonnet, and the "Albino-ish" flatfish is a CO Sole.

Nice shots of the Decorated - he's quite the handsome fellow!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

joe 2.JPG
joe waves.JPG
sean and Joe.JPG
sheahan.JPG
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Looks like it was craptasic above and below! Nice shots on the decorated though.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Thanks to H2Odoc and Fishtiq for hanging around for a second dive. It was a great dive for me apart from the constant flooding of my mask. And to top it all off my first Octo! :supz:
Sean
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow. Jumpin' waves! I haven't had an entry like that in the sound in a long time... makes for an interesting time trying to fin up.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

You guys got some great pictures!

Sat. morning 7:00am, me and TCwestby will be hitting the wall if anyone wants to join.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

My buddy Steve and I are planning the wall at 7:00 Saturday as well. See you there!

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

OK, change that - Meeting there at 6:00, be in water before 7:00... :clap:

Mike :boucegreen: :boucegreen: :boucegreen: :snorkel: :snorkel: :binkybaby: :blackblink: :blah: :bored:
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Wow, nice pictures Doc! Looks like a nice dive :)

I had that same problem with my camera a few weeks ago, and almost again today at Keystone. I've been told if you make sure you put your camera in the water lens down any condensation will form on the other side of the housing...don't know if that's true or not. Today I noticed a bit of fogging up as soon as I got in, so while we were doing a bit of a surface swim I warmed up the housing lens a bit with my breath, which seemed to make it go away, then re-submerged the housing with the lens pointing down until the temperature evened out. It worked, but it may have just been luck......

What I need to do is to get me some moisture-absorbing packet thingy's for my housing......