Galvanized chip off my tank...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Galvanized chip off my tank...

Post by Sounder »

On one of my tanks (an almost brand new steel HP130), I noticed a dime-sized chip of the galvanization had come off... I asked a trusted dive buddy and my LDS to look at it and they both said it wouldn't effect the strength/safety of the tank but that I need to be careful to keep that area free from rust etc.

Someone else told me I could float some galvanized "stuff (whatever it is)" into the the chipped spot.

Has anyone with steel cylinders had a chip of the galvanized coating come off? Will this screw me on my next visual inspection or hydro? Should I even be concerned? Should I contact Worthington (anyone know which "contact us" I should use for them?)?

Thanks. :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Yeah Sounder, that thing is done for. I'll buy it from you for $20, $30 if you include the valve. :evil4:

If it is really new, it may be worth discussing with Worthington. Otherwise, I've used some cold galvanizing compound on the bottom of some fabers to touch up bare areas. It is spray on, and should work for small touch up on a galvanized tank.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That's what I'd do, you can get cold galvanizing in a spray can (basically a high zinc paint) at most hardware places.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

dsteding wrote:Yeah Sounder, that thing is done for. I'll buy it from you for $20, $30 if you include the valve. :evil4:
Doug...dude...I'm starting to think Lynne's onto something about your addiction. Remember, a shock collar is the next step....
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Sounder seriously you have nothing to worry about, it happens all the time, what i always tell customers is to just paint a little clear nail polish on it, it will not affect the integrity of the tank. and I'm sure your wife has some nail polish. no need for buying galvinizing spray if she has nail polish.

try to treat your tank a little nicer and keep them from banging around in trasport or when laying them down. that's most likely what it is caused from.

Worthington would probably laugh at you if you wanted a new tank since that happened, becuase it is not a technical failure but more improper handleing.

hope that helps.
:la:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So it's toast, eh Doug? See, I'd totally sell it to you for $20 with valve, but I know how people named "Doug" are. You just can't trust them... so no deal. Sorry. [-X
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks for the advice on the cold galvanizing option, I'm going to go that route... after I dive on Saturday that is!!! I've got 2 full 130's in my trunk and I'm going diving!!! Wahoo! \:D/

You never know how much you'll miss something until you can't do it! This accident really made me appreciate what a privledge it is to dive. I'm going to be sure to tell Mrs. Sounder how much I appreciate her doing the dishes & laundry... if she ever stopped I'd be screwed! #-o
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:
dsteding wrote:Yeah Sounder, that thing is done for. I'll buy it from you for $20, $30 if you include the valve. :evil4:
Doug...dude...I'm starting to think Lynne's onto something about your addiction. Remember, a shock collar is the next step....
I'm not addicted to tanks, I can stop whenever I want. I'm actually thinking of selling the 130 to fund the 108/85 swap . . . so there.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'd be interested in picking up another 130... \:D/
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Only use ZRC cold galv spray. It's far better than anything you get at the HW store. I had to order it special through a paint store (rhoda maybe). I have extra left. I'll spray it for nothing.

Jeff
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder wrote:I'd be interested in picking up another 130... \:D/
PM sent.

Jeff-is the ZRC a lot better than the stuff on hardware shelves? I have a previously doubled pair of OMS 98s that are now singles, I steel wooled and then sanded the paintless parts of the bottoms until shiny (damn, that was a pain in the a$$) and then sprayed a few coats of rustoleum cold galvanizing compound followed by a top coat. With the boots protecting the bottom, they seem to be holding up fine, but if the ZRC is much better, I may strip the bottoms and redo them at some point.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Do a search on the deco stop and you will find more info. I had some rust on a tank and removed as much as I could. Then I put some Phosopho on it then sprayed with ZRC. I bought two cans but have only used part of one. It's a little pricy.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

PM sent...