Are you a NWUE?

Discuss Team Diving here.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Are you a NWUE?

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I have checked out the site for NWUE http://www.nwunderwaterexplorers.org/NWUE/Home.html a few times now, and it looks really good. But I was wondering if you guys stopped diving, or just stopped posting reports? The explorer part of your name is what interests me. Do you look for new divable areas? Just curious, because the old reports and video are cool to read/watch
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Are you a NWUE?

Post by dsteding »

That's our website. Who we are is a group of people--mostly UTD types. I haven't updated the website in a while, but we're still diving.

In terms of what things are about, it has been an on-again, off-again effort to find new dive sites--stay out of Cove 2, do some exploring, see what is there. Richard, myself, Brian, Jeanna, Scott L, Lynne, Peter, Kirk, Chris F, and some others have been involved over time.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Hi,
Yes a bunch of us are diving ALOT. But we have not had time for a whole lot of exploration lately. Bdub and Edge are instructors and have been busy with their new agency. One of our divers got very sick and had to quit, one got laid off, Dsteding got married, etc etc. In the past there were Tuesday night dives, although that kinda laid down for the winter. We will probably pick that up again for the summer and fall since its daylight late again. Those are just after work events close to Seattle (Redondo to Edmonds zone)

We have found a couple what I would call "new to us" sites because the reality is that someone with real cajones in a wetsuit + steel 72 and no BC has dove pretty much everywhere at some point historically. Part of the adventure is rediscovering these sites, generally from our own boats.

We have trips planned to FL, MX, BC, and some local wrecks over the next 6 months+, but generally speaking these are all pretty advanced dives, trimix or cave. I would say our recreational "new site" trips happen about 3x per year, the most productive of which have been to the San Juans. We ask that you be GUE Fundementals, UTD Essentials or above for these recreational things. Generally speaking these recreational new site efforts are in the 80-100ft depth range. Most of us have scooters although we don't always need them.

Let's hook up for some after work diving and we can talk. I have a date for this weekend and next week, but PM me some good days for you and we can coordinate.
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think a few of us are going to dive Tuesday night . . . The buddy group, welcoming anybody who is UTD/DIR interested, is still going and I think will pick up as light and weather conditions make evening diving more pleasant. And of course, there are a lot of us who are willing to find the time to dive with anybody who is interested in the system.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

An update on this:

NWUE as it is formulated on this website is essentially dead. I'm no longer involved, and many of the key members have also left. Long, drama-filled process, but I don't want a flame-war here. Since I am a mod of this forum, I'll respectfully ask Josh to watch over this thread and make sure that doesn't happen.

Northwest Underwater Explorers is apparently, as of Friday, a new non-profit corporation in Washington, but I will not be involved in this in any way, nor was I involved in the incorporation:

http://www.secstate.wa.gov/corps/search ... orers&ubi=

The logo has apparently been trademarked as well, and I'm not sure what for.

We'll be reformulating an "exploration" minded group and will be doing more of the fun dives like the ones on the website in the future--but will probably be maintaining a really low presence online. If you are interested, pm me for more details.

On a last note, my apologies to Bob Bailey. He wanted to be a part of NWUE a while back, but politics got in the way. In retrospect, that was probably the wrong choice. Bob, you're a good guy and a valuable member of the dive community--I'm sorry for any hurt feelings.

-Doug
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks Doug ... no hard feelings on my part ... I wish you the best on your new venture.

Let's go diving sometime ... all that other stuff's in the past, where it belongs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

My apologies to Bob as well.

I am no longer involved with "NWUE" either, so any interested DIR/GUE/UTD divers should feel free to PM me and I'll keep you in the loop as future plans develop. Right now the remnant explorers from NWUE have "destination" diving planned monthly through November and I'm hoping to support that into 2010 as well.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:Thanks Doug ... no hard feelings on my part ... I wish you the best on your new venture.

Let's go diving sometime ... all that other stuff's in the past, where it belongs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm glad it is in the past Bob, and we will go diving. You around Saturday? If so, shoot me a PM . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

HUH??

(Several minutes later)

Oh. Okay, Got it. Sheesh. All this diving stuff was so much more fun when I didn't know anything about the nonsense.
Last edited by Pez7378 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:HUH??
see what happens when you leave, dude? things just fall apart.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Pez7378 wrote: All this diving stuff was so much more fun when I didn't know anything about the nonsense.
And, that is the goal. Get away from the nonsense. I am hopeful we can do that.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pez7378 wrote: All this diving stuff was so much more fun when I didn't know anything about the nonsense.
Do what I do. Ignore it and go diving.

Sounds like a few folks have reached that same good decision.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

I'm starting a support group called, "survivors of diving politics." Meeting don't start until we're under 10fsw.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The concept of an 'open door to all divers interested in DIR style diving' will live on at:

http://groups.google.com/group/nwue

The new homepage will be online shortly at

http://www.nwunderwaterexplorers.com/

Please come join us for some dives and a summer BBQ on Alki to celebrate "Northwest Underwater Explorers" and the formation of our new non-profit organization.

All divers with an interest/curiosity in the DIR method are encourage to COME DIVING, attend a meet-n-greet BBQ or sign up for one of our mini/workshops.

we encourage a diving philosophy that can be applied to all levels, novice through tech. (yes, some of the concepts are even applicable to CCR!) ;)

Vis looks great! I'm going diving! :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

ljjames wrote:The concept of an 'open door to all divers interested in DIR style diving' will live on at:

:)

josh is going to clobber me but.....
i am curious
is it open door to all?
or only the ones dir/interested dir?
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Everyone is welcome. (look at my avatar) *grin*

we really hope people will come because they want to learn more about another method of diving. It may or may not work with ones current style, and that is up to the individual diver to decide.

There are volumes of info online with regards to configuration, etc... You can read all the threads and books you want, but they just don't substitute for actual hands on. We'd be happy to show you in person.

All we request of you is to be of an open mind. Give it a chance.

:)

One small request though...

There will be no smoking at any of our group functions. Please be respectful of this.
Last edited by ljjames on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

ljjames wrote: All we request of you would be an open mind.
I assume that a lot will become clear once the web site is up and running, but who is "we"? Is there a current listing of NWUE members? Will the organization continue to have the goal of seeking out "new" dive sites?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

currently at the helm, Margaret, Rob and myself

yes, there will be a member list (unless a member specifically asks to be left off)

outreach, education and exploration will be our equally important goals

John Rawlings wrote:
ljjames wrote: All we request of you would be an open mind.
I assume that a lot will become clear once the web site is up and running, but who is "we"? Is there a current listing of NWUE members? Will the organization continue to have the goal of seeking out "new" dive sites?

- John
----
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

ljjames wrote:currently at the helm, Margaret, Rob and myself

yes, there will be a member list (unless a member specifically asks to be left off)

Everybody knows you're just a bunch of elitest gear snobs whose fins don't silt. :smt064
Purveyor of crack ;)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Well, if you didn't have a half zillion scooters to build, you'd be at the helm too ;) Course you'd be driving the caboose ;) I didn't want to put you on the 'list' publically until you'd actually agreed to be there... *grin*

but YES, Ray is a part of the steering committee even if he's burying himself in work to avoid diving with us...

PS, when there is a camera in my hand and I'm trying to get the shot of you divebombing on the shark CUDA, I suspect my fins do indeed silt ;)
Raydar wrote:
ljjames wrote:currently at the helm, Margaret, Rob and myself

Everybody knows you're just a bunch of elitest gear snobs whose fins don't silt. :smt064
----