Lse Davis 06/26

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Lse Davis 06/26

Post by Dusty2 »

I had already bagged the idea of a dive at Les when I get a PM from Keith (Bassman) that his morning dive there had been canceled due to dive buddy problems and would I come down ASAP and do a dive with him. Hmmm It's 2pm and the slack is at 2:20, My gear isn't even all in my car and I live 45 min away IF the traffic co-operates. So I call him and no answer. A few minutes later he rings back and tell him there is no way I can make it before 3. He sez what the heck it's LD and the current shouldn't matter and I'm already on my way there. So Chinese fire drill time! I throw everything in the truck and high tail it for LD. I get there and Kieth has a good place in the lot but there is no other place to park. :angry: so I am backing out of the lot and see a place open and I manage to back in. I get out and look at the water and it's 30 or 40 feet out from the base of the steps but looks like maybe good viz so I get suited up and Kieth is already in the water waiting for me.

We do our checks and figure where to go and and all is well except that By now I have realized that my camera is still in the water bucket in the back of the truck!! :angry: :angry: :angry: Well I'm not as young as I used to be and there is no way I'm going back to the truck so I say what the heck lets go for a swim. Thinking all the while that the curse of the camera less dive has just kicked in and we are about to run head on into the biggest 6 gill in Puget sound or wrestle a giant octo or something like that with no camera to record the event!! Not knowing that Kieth is thinking the same thing.

So any way, camera or not I am dropping at once and swimming out on the bottom so I don't miss my date with that giant octo. We swim out and I make a little detour thru the tractor tire just because I can :biggrin: and we head down the hill to the structure and the water is absolutely the clearest I have seen at LD, 30+ and I know were about to meet that 6 gill enjoying the viz like us! WE swim slowly east taking in all the lovely sights like the biggest Opalescent nudies I've seen and several huge dungeness crabs that would make great meals except most of them are carrying there lady folk so I don't want to mess up there fun. Fun? do crabs have fun??? Oh well. several nice cod were hanging out laughing about making it through another season with out getting stuck by some diver with fish and chips on his mind. We poked our way all the way down to the tires oooing and ahing at all the cool critters that we could actually see with the awesome viz. then turned and headed back But no six gills or GPO's hmmm could the curse miss this time? I was already crying my mask full of tears at all the wonderful stuff I hadn't got any pix of when Kieth flashes his light frantically and I think yep here it comes! I fin on over and He points his light down on the biggest prettiest Giant Nudibranch I have seen. Then just to make it really unbearable he gently lifts it up and removes his hand and we watch spellbound for awhile while he does his airel bally in no particular hurry to land again. Then we continue on down to the pipe sculpture and visit with the biggest decorated warbonnet in puget sound. Or at least the biggest I've seen. Then mosey slowly back up to our safety stop and on out for one of the best dives I've had in awhile

Thanks Kieth for a great dive even if we can't prove any of it!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Lse Davis 06/26

Post by BASSMAN »

Yes!! What an awesome dive!
Les Davis is getting some good publicity lately. We had at least 30 foot vis with a little mucky muck above us as the tide was coming back in. I hope a couple of new divers make there way to the board. If so, :bye: Mary and Amelia (sp?) not sure if they got to dive or not. :dontknow:
That giant Nudie was great! Would have made for some good video too! :smt064
But as Tom-Nic mentioned here on the board or maybe just to me in person...
We should come up with a name for that huge Decorated Warbonnet. I think he or she might be sticking around for a while, I hope!
Any Ideas? :dontknow:
Maybe something that is a-sexual like "Pat" could be a boy or a girl :dontknow:

For those of you who know Les Davis, PM Me,Dusty2,Tom nic or Dwashburn and we might tell you where he/she is.
I'm not too sure it would be good to post it publicly on this board, it's exact location, because someone or some organization might want to collect it.

Thanks Dusty2 for a Great dive today :highfive:

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

A giant nudi at Les Davis. That place just keeps getting better and better. I'm heading back to Washington after ONE MORE DAY!!!! Gonna have to go try and find that fellow. We found loads of them when we were in Monterey but have yet to see one up here.

Good reports, guys!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:Thanks Kieth for a great dive even if we can't prove any of it!
:lalala: I don't believe it. None of it. Viz was 5' and silty and you saw nothing but a scrungy ol' California cuke. :neener:

...and a word of caution for those of you who think that Les Davis may have suddenly morphed into Sunrise Beach - everyone of these amazing reports have come on an outgoing extreme minus tide. You never know for sure, but I'm just sayin' you know?!? :angelblue:

...but then again, I've been called a Les Davis hater. But I'm not. Really. :seesaw:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:
:lalala: I don't believe it. None of it. Viz was 5' and silty and you saw nothing but a scrungy ol' California cuke. :neener:

...and a word of caution for those of you who think that Les Davis may have suddenly morphed into Sunrise Beach - everyone of these amazing reports have come on an outgoing extreme minus tide. You never know for sure, but I'm just sayin' you know?!? :angelblue:

...but then again, I've been called a Les Davis hater. But I'm not. Really. :seesaw:
I've been accused of the same thing and I must admit that as garfield would say "I resemble that remark"! But my last few visits to LD have somewhat changed my views though it is way far from my favorite dive site. It is a hell of a long walk especially at these minus tides, the parking lot sucks, and the conditions can change in a matter of minutes. Not to mention that a careless diver can silt the place out in an instant and the place does tend to attract some pretty unsavory types.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Tom Nic wrote:

I guess I should have been more specific in my viz reports of les Davis. Every time I've dove it's been at highest tide.

Wed, and Friday. Friday actually looked super muckish, but after about 4 feet, it cleared to 25 ridiculous feet. Pretty awesome actually.

D(B)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

New recipe for diving Less Davis:

Dive it at low tide at the end of the ebbing tide. The bigger the exchange the better! :metal:

All this time, I too, thought diving it at a high tide would be better. #-o

I was told to dive it at a low tide once before, but didn't listen :lalala:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: