Hawaii -- dive light needed? make a difference?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Hawaii -- dive light needed? make a difference?

Post by babs13 »

Curious whether I should bring a dive light to Hawaii. Does it make a difference? Planning to do rec boat dives during the day. Thanks. :breakdance:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Hawaii -- dive light needed? make a difference?

Post by LCF »

It's nice to have some kind of light to look into holes with, but it isn't critical. Not even 21W HID lights are much good for signaling in that clear, sunlit water. But they do highlight the relief on the rocks, and have helped me spot critters I would otherwise have missed. And of course, you need some kind of light if you want to see color on deeper dives.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Our first trip to Maui we brought our HIDs. We've left them at home every trip since. Now we just bring our Photon Torpedos.

As Lynne said, they're nice for looking into holes and cracks, and are ample lights for night diving as well.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I rarely bring my HID during the day here on the Big Island unless there are lava tubes to explore (which, if you're on a cattle dive boat you won't be entering). My 3w backup light does well enough if I want to check out the actual color of something pretty. I'd say bring a bright backup type light and keep it clipped to your harness until you need it.

Of course if you're diving at night or anywhere near mantas bring your nightrider.

Aloha hard,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You don't need to buy a light for the trip. A small backup might be nice from time to time, but any night dive/manta dive (if you get to actually see one) the operator will provide a decent light. If you want to borrow a backup light for your trip I have one for you.

I just got back from diving in HI about a week ago. Damn sockmonkeys they have there.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Tangfish wrote:You don't need to buy a light for the trip. A small backup might be nice from time to time, but any night dive/manta dive (if you get to actually see one) the operator will provide a decent light. If you want to borrow a backup light for your trip I have one for you.

I just got back from diving in HI about a week ago. Damn sockmonkeys they have there.
Someone told me the mantas have been going crazy this week. A dozen or so the other night.
eepeep.png
eepeep.png (95.27 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
babs13
Dive-aholic

Re: Hawaii -- dive light needed? Short or long hose?

Post by babs13 »

Thanks for the offer Calvin! I have 2 backups, both 3w LEDs- I guess I can have a backup to my backup in HI. Mantas sound awesome! Miss diving with sockmonkey.

Stupid question- I have a long hose set-up, is it better to switch it to a short hose set-up?

Staying in Kanaapali. Any dive shops or dive boat operator recommendations in the area? I think Lahaina is the closest town with dive shops.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Hawaii -- dive light needed? Short or long hose?

Post by scottsax »

babs13 wrote:Thanks for the offer Calvin! I have 2 backups, both 3w LEDs- I guess I can have a backup to my backup in HI. Mantas sound awesome! Miss diving with sockmonkey.

Stupid question- I have a long hose set-up, is it better to switch it to a short hose set-up?

Staying in Kanaapali. Any dive shops or dive boat operator recommendations in the area? I think Lahaina is the closest town with dive shops.
I dove my BP/W and long hose in Bonaire. You get some interesting looks from tourists, but other than that, it's fine!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
CaseyB449
Avid Diver

Post by CaseyB449 »

Short or long hose = (insert bad joke here)... :rofl:
Scotts right, you'll get a bunch a looks, but I'd bet I converted a coupla divers to go to a long hose after my Cozumel trip!!
Always dive a long hose, in my opinion... After a guy rips your reg out of your mouth, its nice to get away from him....
As for the light, I was the only one with a light on most of the day dives, and pointed out lobsters and sharks, everyone else wouldn't have noticed under rocks, and in holes...Have an awesome trip Babs! :thumb3d:
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques Yves Cousteau
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

CaseyB449 wrote:Always dive a long hose, in my opinion... After a guy rips your reg out of your mouth, its nice to get away from him....
Xeroxed. Thanks for the input guys!! :pinch:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You could put a pocket in place of the can light and loop your hose under that, or stuff a loop of the hose into your belt. I bring a can light, but it's not required.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sounder wrote:You could put a pocket in place of the can light and loop your hose under that, or stuff a loop of the hose into your belt. I bring a can light, but it's not required.
Good god, you take the 50 to Hawaii? I'm amazed there are any fish left, that thing had to cook anything it it's path over there.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Sounder wrote:You could put a pocket in place of the can light and loop your hose under that, or stuff a loop of the hose into your belt. I bring a can light, but it's not required.
Good god, you take the 50 to Hawaii? I'm amazed there are any fish left, that thing had to cook anything it it's path over there.
Last time we went to Maui I had the 35w. I haven't been back since the upgrade... but we'll be going back soon. I'm thinking Mantas are best served med-rare. :extinguishflame:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!