Back in the Saddle Again....

General banter about diving and why we love it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Back in the Saddle Again....

Post by John Rawlings »

Well, as a few of you have been aware, I have had significant health issues for the past year involving rampant sinus and lung infections, sinus surgeries, regimens of drugs and anti-biotics out the ying-yang, and finally blood plasma/antibody infusions. The major infections that I was battling were the results of something called "Good's Syndrome", which was the final diagnosis once all of the "normal" problems were tossed out. The antibody infusions have been successful and will continue indefinitely. As a result, after a 9 month long period of NO DIVING I was finally able to get back in the water Friday, July 3rd and Sunday, July 5th.

It truly felt like being re-united with my LIFE!

I did two one hour plus dives at Redondo on Friday and one one hour plus dive this morning at 3-Tree.

I am profoundly grateful to the fantastic old friends that shared these first dives back with me - Valerie Lyttle (Zen Diver), Tom Nicodemus (Tom Nic), Georgia Arrow (WylerBear), Josh Smith and Calvin Tang (Tang Fish), as well as a "new" friend for me - Christine (gracefulc) - who joined us on dive # 1 Friday morning.

Tom and Valerie posted some pics here: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8746

Perhaps if we're lucky, Calvin will post some pics from this morning's dive, (hint - hint!).

You folks have NO idea how good it feels to drop down in the emerald green of the Sound after MONTHS AND MONTHS of thinking and worrying that it might never, ever happen again. It's like....well....I cannot even begin to describe it. I'm SO grateful to be able to do this again!

- John :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Back in the Saddle Again....

Post by Penopolypants »

Woohoo! Welcome back to the Puget Goo!

:bounceline:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Woohoo! :breakdance: :breakdance: Good show John, Glad to hear that things are under control and you aren't condemned to permanent shore duty. Too many would miss out on too much if you couldn't dive and share it with us all.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

It was a privlege and an honor to be there for you John! The day was just plain fun and I'm glad we can start planning some dives again! Welcome back!

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

That's great to hear, John. I'm very glad for you. =D>
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow I was unaware you were involuntarily dry. Congratulations and welcome back! :bounceline:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John, I can't tell you how glad I am to see you back in the water! Thanks for the dive at 3 tree today- after two pointless dives there 3 years ago, I never went back. I had no idea there was actually anything to look at there!

Again- I'm very pleased that you're diving again- and I can't help but hope that this may distract you from your recent hobby of thinking up insults for me based on my genetic heritage.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

John, I have thought of you often since our conversation outside the Mukilteo City Hall. I am SO glad to hear that the treatment is working, and that you are diving again. Maybe we will still be able to do the clay walls together!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

yaaaayyyyy, john! glad to have you back in the soup with us!

:partydance:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John - I can't say it any better than Val. It was a privilege and an honor. Welcome back to the green.... may they be the first of many more.
Joshua Smith wrote: Thanks for the dive at 3 tree today- after two pointless dives there 3 years ago, I never went back. I had no idea there was actually anything to look at there!
And uhm... Josh.... :tappingfoot: I realize that TTN is not Sunrise beach, but come on... :fish:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Thanks for the dive at 3 tree today- after two pointless dives there 3 years ago, I never went back. I had no idea there was actually anything to look at there!
And uhm... Josh.... :tappingfoot: I realize that TTN is not Sunrise beach, but come on... :fish:
Tom....what you have to remember is that, anthropologically speaking, Irishmen are the "junk food" of Europe....Josh simply cannot help himself! :smt064

Now....we Scots, on the other hand, represent both fine cuisine, (Haggis!), and keen intellect, (the results of a constant flow of "Famous Grouse" whiskey combined with gleeful musings!).

Thank you, everyone, for the friendly welcome back! :thumb3d:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Good to hear you're back in the water John. :clap:
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome back John :rawlings: ! :partydance: :occasion5:
I'm still waiting, to do that 100ft Rock dive, with you. :naka:
Let me know when you can do that on a Thursday! :smt064
Or better yet, come South and join us for a Thursday night dive sometime.
You know your always welcome to join us! :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Outstanding!!!!!!

Glad to see you are doing so well.

Wonderful!!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

:smt038 :metal: =D> :clap: \:D/ :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great diving with ya John. I'll see if any photos turned out tonight. It was tough fighting the current with the Death Star and no lanyard, so my hopes aren't that high for a good shot.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tangfish wrote:Great diving with ya John. I'll see if any photos turned out tonight. It was tough fighting the current with the Death Star and no lanyard, so my hopes aren't that high for a good shot.
Yeah....I didn't envy you one little bit swimming against the current with your camera system! Mine's a similar set-up and I know that it acts like part wall and part sail when current is flowing into your face - I was really, really glad that I hadn't brought mine with me! I kept peering back over my shoulder to see where you were behind me.

Still, at least now both you and Josh know that there really is structure worth poking around at 3-Tree! I really enjoy diving around the cabin-cruiser wreck in particular because of all the critters that tend to hang out there, but on Sunday I think that even THEY were lying low because of the current.

I need to get my camera system tweaked and back in operation so that you and I can do a photo dive soon! :highfive:

- John

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tangfish wrote:Great diving with ya John. I'll see if any photos turned out tonight. It was tough fighting the current with the Death Star and no lanyard, so my hopes aren't that high for a good shot.
Have you seen Scott Lundy's scooter mount? I'm gonna see if I can rig something like that for those "current" days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Wow, just saw this thread.

That is awesome news, John. So glad you're finally able to get back in the water!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Thanks! Yeah, it really IS awesome! I owe it all to one doctor who figured out what the real problem was when all of the others were scratching their heads. I'm really, really grateful to him. I'll tell you the full story sometime....

- John