We lost another Dive site

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

We lost another Dive site

Post by Pez7378 »

This time it's for good. This site is now inaccessible as a shore dive. Some time ago, Maverick posted a thread relating our experience with a WDFW officer who told us we could be fined for trespassing on the train tracks we had to cross to get to the water. Well, I went there this past weekend and there is now a huge fence blocking all access. Perhaps it'll be good for the site, only because it won't see many divers. It'll still be a great boat dive for those with access to boats to dive from!

I'll post the pictures I took of the site with the fence installed later when I get home.

Subject: 100 FT Rock

Subject: $271 dollar fee to dive 100' Rock
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: We lost another Dive site

Post by John Rawlings »

:angry:

Damn! I'm really sorry to hear that. I've always loved diving that site! I'm surprised that they can actually get away with blocking it - I would think that the local landowners would be pissed because their access to the public beach is blocked as well, although I'm certain that law enforcement would probably "look the other way" in their case. :chrisnjoe:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

John Rawlings wrote::angry:

Damn! I'm really sorry to hear that. I've always loved diving that site! I'm surprised that they can actually get away with blocking it - I would think that the local landowners would be pissed because their access to the public beach is blocked as well, although I'm certain that law enforcement would probably "look the other way" in their case. :chrisnjoe:

- John
I believe input from local land owners had a lot to do with getting it closed. Access there seemed to be an attraction for elements people of that income level did not want in their neighborhood. :angry:

Fishstiq talked to some folks from BN who told him that this is a cooperative thing between BN and the city. Even crossing the RR tracks at that location was trespassing, either on BN property, or on the property of the old marina land owner.

It definitely sucks though. 100' rock was a fun site.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

There has been long running conflicts with the railroads about access to the Columbia River Gorge since there are railroads on both sides of the river. Both fishermen and windsurfers desire access to long reaches of the river that have railroad tracks between the road and the shore. My understanding is that the railroads are unyielding about access unless some sort of formal crossing can be defined which takes years, lots of effort, and usually some sort of government sponsorship. It would take a strong effort by our new friends in Mukelto government that is probaby better directed in other directions.

I wouldn't cross there now, it will probably receive lots of patrolling this summer. Since the days of the wild west railroads have been allowed to have their own police forces and BNSF still patrols their tracks vigorously. I believe that two or three folks, who were not encumbered by scuba gear, have been killed crossing beach side railroad tracks in the Seattle area so far this year.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nwbrewer wrote: I believe input from local land owners had a lot to do with getting it closed. Access there seemed to be an attraction for elements that people of that income level did not want in their neighborhood. :angry:
Yeah....I believe you are correct, and I actually understand their viewpoint. Over the years I have found the "remnants" of a lot of parties there on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and I'm pretty certain they weren't left by respectable, calm and collected groups.....

It's still a shame, though. :angryblue:

I need to buy a boat just so that I can dive sites I used to be able to get to from shore.... :banghead:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

renoun wrote: It would take a strong effort by our new friends in Mukelto government that is probaby better directed in other directions.
100 Foot Rock isn't within the city limits of Mukilteo, so they wouldn't be of any help even if they wanted to be....

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

This does suck. I've always wanted to go check that site out. On the bright side I do have a boat so maybe I'll have to put something together in that direction. Does anyone know of a good second site to hit before or after in the vicinity? If I'm gonna break out the boat I'd rather make it a two tanker.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

PP ferry and the fingers are relatively close.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Pez7378 wrote:PP ferry and the fingers are relatively close.
Gedney Island barges?

Hat?

Boeing Creek Reef (to the south)?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

dsteding wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:PP ferry and the fingers are relatively close.
Gedney Island barges?

Hat?

Boeing Creek Reef (to the south)?
If you have a boat, do two of those 4 rather than 100' rock.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote: If you have a boat, do two of those 4 rather than 100' rock.
Umm yeah after the PP ferry, Fingers or Gedney (Hat) 100ft rock will seem kinda lame.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Umm yeah after the PP ferry, Fingers or Gedney (Hat) 100ft rock will seem kinda lame.

Good Point, I was under the impression that 100ft rock is one of the less current sensitive sites? If that's true couldn't it make a good back up site or second dive site on a big exchange day?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Geez guys :lalala: . If we all thought like you, nobody would be diving anywhere....ever. :smt064 IMO after diving 100ft Rock, the Muk clay wall seems kinda lame, but it was worth our time and effort to attend city hall meetings so we could preserve that site.

It may not be worth the effort to launch a boat, and use the fuel to get there, but it's still a great dive site, even if you only do it once. :thumb3d:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pez7378 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Geez guys :lalala: . If we all thought like you, nobody would be diving anywhere....ever. :smt064 IMO after diving 100ft Rock, the Muk clay wall seems kinda lame, but it was worth our time and effort to attend city hall meetings so we could preserve that site.

It may not be worth the effort to launch a boat, and use the fuel to get there, but it's still a great dive site, even if you only do it once. :thumb3d:
We were just putting a "oh well" spin on it! 100ft rock is worth doing, but not worth getting hit by a train over.

PP fingers are not current sensitive, neither is Boeing Cr reef (well maybe a tiny bit).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I loved diving 100' rock. I agree, it was more fun than the clay walls, and way less current sensitive. I never really worried about the trains, you can see far enough in each direction, if you stayed aware of the potential danger, you were gonna be able to get out of the way in plenty of time.

The difference in terms of fighting this, is that the Mukilteo clay walls, and Langley reefs are both city controlled property. the argument is easy to make that the public (us) should be able to get access, or at the very least it should be considered. This access site no matter how you slice it is somebodies private property, and diving there was technically trespassing.. They have the right to deny the public access to their property. Do I think it sucks? Yes, but I don't see much of an argument for retaining access.

If you've never done it, and you have a boat, go for it, it's easy to find, just anchor and drop down the buoy line, and swim down the valley. I'm just sayin' for me, if I'm going to take the time to fuel the boat and take it out there, I'd probably choose somewhere more interesting to dive. For shore diving it was a really nice, unique site.

Scuba Jon
Just Settling In

Post by Scuba Jon »

100ft rock is an awesome site if you are into macro photography. I could always find many cool critters to point my video camera at there. I will really miss that site. Hopefully, with the passage of a little time, that fence will go away and we will have access to it again.

Randy
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

No, just the shore access to this site. Actually, the issue over trespassing on the railroad tracks is not new.
After a couple of deaths due to people walking on the tracks and other incursions, BNSF Railroad Police have
stepped-up enforcement here and at other problem areas (Golden Gardens being one) and at Meadow Point.
This has been going on for many a year now. Nothing new about it.
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

And I have no doubt that some people who either got hit or had relatives get hit on the tracks found themselves an ambulance-chaser willing to sue the railroad, even though people who die on railroad tracks generally die of stupidity. I can see both sides of this one.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

We have a couple of sites down at the South end that require going across the train tracks. While I don't see any reason to close the access, I have noticed specifically at Titlow, The teens seem to like just hanging out, on the tracks there. :lurk:
As I've seen many cargo type trains go by, I once saw a passenger train go past and WOW! :smt119 It was moving and not slowing down for anything. So if there are passenger trains on those tracks I would understand a reason for closure.
But, other than a Boat, is there no ther way to get to this site? :dontknow: I've wanted to dive this site for a long time and now it looks as if I wont be able to. :crybaby:
Do we have Any Options?
:dontknow: :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

BASSMAN wrote:We have a couple of sites down at the South end that require going across the train tracks. While I don't see any reason to close the access, I have noticed specifically at Titlow, The teens seem to like just hanging out, on the tracks there. :lurk:
As I've seen many cargo type trains go by, I once saw a passenger train go past and WOW! :smt119 It was moving and not slowing down for anything. So if there are passenger trains on those tracks I would understand a reason for closure.
But, other than a Boat, is there no ther way to get to this site? :dontknow: I've wanted to dive this site for a long time and now it looks as if I wont be able to. :crybaby:
Do we have Any Options?
Anything is possible. There are options for diving this site. Other than using a boat you could -

A) Get in at EUP on a slack tide before flood. You'll need 3 CUDA's, some double 130's, and 5-6 stages. Haul a$$ to the north on a 50' contour until you find the buoy. Turn left to the rock. You batteries and gas will be spent. Surface, inflate SMB, and drift for a day or so back to EUP.

B) This option is best done as a night dive. Talk to a guy who owns a large green van full of tools. Have him drive by the site, where you'll exit said van fully geared up. Use bolt cutters (found in the van) to cut through the fence, play Frogger with the trains, and drop in. The rest is easy.

C) (This option may work, but I doubt it) 100' rock is actually several hundred yards to the south of where people had been parking. It's in front of someone's house. Convince the land owner to let you access the shore via their property. Go diving.

Or find someone with a boat who's willing to take you. Mattleycrue has a boat, and I'll bet he could be talked into diving on a Thursday.....

Scuba Jon
Just Settling In

Post by Scuba Jon »

Nwbrewer wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:We have a couple of sites down at the South end that require going across the train tracks. While I don't see any reason to close the access, I have noticed specifically at Titlow, The teens seem to like just hanging out, on the tracks there. :lurk:
Do we have Any Options?
Anything is possible. There are options for diving this site. Other than using a boat you could -

A) Get in at EUP on a slack tide before flood. You'll need 3 CUDA's, some double 130's, and 5-6 stages. Haul a$$ to the north on a 50' contour until you find the buoy. Turn left to the rock. You batteries and gas will be spent. Surface, inflate SMB, and drift for a day or so back to EUP.

B) This option is best done as a night dive. Talk to a guy who owns a large green van full of tools. Have him drive by the site, where you'll exit said van fully geared up. Use bolt cutters (found in the van) to cut through the fence, play Frogger with the trains, and drop in. The rest is easy.

C) (This option may work, but I doubt it) 100' rock is actually several hundred yards to the south of where people had been parking. It's in front of someone's house. Convince the land owner to let you access the shore via their property. Go diving.

Or find someone with a boat who's willing to take you. Mattleycrue has a boat, and I'll bet he could be talked into diving on a Thursday.....

You missed option "D"
About a mile north of the now closed access to 100 foot rock is a park with beach access (underpass gets you to the water side of the tracks). You park in their parking lot, suit up, hike the mile from the lot to the beach down the windy, steep dirt trail to the water. Get in and do a surface swim till you are above the rock (more than a mile) and do your dive. Reverse the process to get back to your car. As an added bonus, this way does not require anything more than an aluminum 80 since most of the trip is above the surface!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nwbrewer wrote: C) (This option may work, but I doubt it) 100' rock is actually several hundred yards to the south of where people had been parking. It's in front of someone's house. Convince the land owner to let you access the shore via their property. Go diving.
Hey? :idea: Mr. Sund makes good money at Sund Rock! This site may not be of Sund Rock quality but I bet we could strike up a deal like $5.00 per diver. Who lives close enough to :chat: with this guy? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Frankly, I like the idea of...

Buying the marina and put in an elevator into the water. Re-start the boat rental and put in a dive shop.

Okay, where's my rich uncle?
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

TCWestby wrote:Frankly, I like the idea of...

Buying the marina and put in an elevator the the water. Re-stare the boat rental and put in a dive shop.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201101 ... /701229934

I bet you could help the owner out of bankruptcy if you could come up with $300,000 for the now deteriorating boathouse.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

TCWestby wrote:Frankly, I like the idea of...

Buying the marina and put in an elevator the the water. Re-stare the boat rental and put in a dive shop.

Okay, where's my rich uncle, Hey Obama, since you are blowing all that money why not spend it on something someone will actually use?
Years ago a group of us paid the boat launching fee at the marina and they lowered is into the water. Upon the completion of the dive, the operator lowered the boat platform and picked us up. In effect, an elevator to the water. Good times.
- Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.