Porpoise Bay Charters, Nov 17-19

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Porpoise Bay Charters, Nov 17-19

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 spots left for our annual trip up to Kal and Ann's left. It is November 17-19th. If you haven't been diving on the Sunshine Coast, BC, it is amazing.

Sechelt, BC is north of Vancouver. It is about 4-5 hours from Tacoma. You take a ferry from Horseshoe Bay and you arrive at this small town, sandwiched between the Strait of Georgia and Sechelt Inlet. Kal and Ann have a beautiful piece of property overlooking Porpoise Bay, the bottom of Sechelt Inlet. Kal built 3 A-frame cabins that have great views of the water. He has a boathouse to sleep in as well. He has a great drying room for all your gear, and a hottub to relax in at the end of the day. Each morning you wake up and Ann has an awesome breakfast waiting for you in the main house. If this sounds good so far, I haven't even got to the good part...some of the best cold water diving in the world. It is a little colder than most of us are use to (approx 47-48 degrees) but the 100ft+ of vis is worth it.

Sechelt Inlet is the home of the HMCS Chaudiere, a Canadia Navy ship sunk over 15 years ago. It is approx 135 feet of water, with the top about 55 feet. If you have never dove a big ship before, my friend Cindy describes it this way, "You drop down about 15 feet and the ship is before you. You feel like an astronaut, hovering in space with the space station in front of you.." The ship is laying on its side and is covered with life. Most of the guys like to drop down to the "guns" that are at 125ft. The Chaud isn't the only good dive though. My favorite is Tzoomie Narrows, a beautiful, shallow drift dive that can only compare to diving in a cold water paradise. There is so much life that I just watch in awe. There is this one rock that is covered with starfish...so many that they are on top of each other.

So, if anyone is interested in finding out more or would like to go with us, the cost is $360CAD and includes a Friday evening dive, 3 dives Saturday, 2 dives Sunday, 2 night accommodations, and all meals on Saturday and Sunday. Friday evening dinner, ferry fare and tips are additional. Kal does have tanks, standard AL80, steel 80s and 100s and Nitrox on request. This trip is open to all levels of divers, but it is a good idea to be AOW certified before you go, with at least 15-20 dives under your weightbelt. You can dive in a wetsuit (there is a couple of guys who do) but I STRONGLY advise diving a drysuit. By the 3rd dive of the day in November, you are cold.

PM me or call if you would like to join us.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Amy ... our group will be there the week before yours. I'll post a trip report to let you know how the conditions were.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Will the Friday and first Sunday morning dives be on the Chaudiere? When I went in May, that's what we did.

Rich
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I would urge anyone considering diving up in BC to sign up for this trip. Kal and Ann are simply marvelous hosts and the diving is flat out superb.

I've been there and look forward to going again.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I want to go. Looking into which friend can go too. Hope do Chaudiere on Friday, as well as Sunday, as that would significantly boost my chances of going.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Diver_C wrote:I want to go. Looking into which friend can go too. Hope do Chaudiere on Friday, as well as Sunday, as that would significantly boost my chances of going.
Personally I think there are better dives up there than the Chaudierre. And since it's a fairly long boat ride from the lodge, I don't see Kal doing it on Friday evening this time of year ... it'd be dark by the time you got there and I tend to doubt he'd want to do it as a night dive.

Won't speak for Kal ... but if it were me, and two dives on the Chaudierre were that important, I'd be pushing to just do it twice on Saturday (although that'll mean missing some other spectacular dive site) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

We will do one dive on the Chaud on Saturday and one on Sunday. One of the dives will be Tzoomies Narrows. Besides that, the rest of the dives are up to the experience level of the group and the weather. The weather can dictate how far up the channel we go. Last year was no problem on Saturday but the fog on Sunday made it very slow going. They year before we had nasty rain. The year before that we got a late start and we were fighting darkness on the way back.

On Friday night, Kal normally just takes everyone out in the skiff to a close spot. Keep in mind it get dark quicker up there, than here.

Let me know if you would like to join us. We have 12 right now and I max the group at 14. It is a lot of fun.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Looks like good to go; found a friend to go with. He, too, has dove Porpoise Bay. Do we pay you, or bring $730 Canadian with us, or something else?