Finally got rid of my BioFins

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Finally got rid of my BioFins

Post by scottsax »

I loved them when I first got them, but moved to Turtles shortly after that, and never looked back. Sold them to a friend that lost one on a dive. (Norris was there....) I was terrified driving to meet him that I would get in a wreck and be found dead with split fins in the car!

:neener:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Finally got rid of my BioFins

Post by Tangfish »

I just recently made the switch too, from my BioFin XTs to the new Hollis F1s. I'm not liking how the new fins feel on the foot so far (feels like they're going to fall off), but I'll save my judgment till after a dozen dives or so. The BioFins definitely did their duty. I put many dives on them.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

OoooOO! What size turtles? I'm looking to replace my bios with those too.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

scottsax wrote:I loved them when I first got them, but moved to Turtles shortly after that, and never looked back. Sold them to a friend that lost one on a dive. (Norris was there....) I was terrified driving to meet him that I would get in a wreck and be found dead with split fins in the car!

:neener:
Hey Scott ... where'd he lose it? I know someone who recently found a Biofin at a local dive site.

BTW - I still have Cheng's old Biofins here, if you know someone who wants a good deal on another pair (with spring straps, no less) ... ;)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

mancub wrote:OoooOO! What size turtles? I'm looking to replace my bios with those too.
For my first pair of turtles to go with my old drysuit, I got the smaller ones (2XL, I think.) When I went to rock boots, I upgraded to the original size turtles (3XL?) The smaller ones are my tropical fins now...
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Oh yeah Scott, how is he?? WE need to try that again sometime!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Turtles Rock! :supz: When I switched to them from my split fins it felt like someone had attached a slab of concrete to my legs but once you get used to them they're so much more manueverable. Cool to see that they make one with a smaller pocket now too. Oh yeah and at the beginning they felt all loose like they'd be coming off any minute but after a while you get so used to it that you don't even feel it any more.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I am assuming you are referring to the xs scuba turtles. The closest thing I've used were jets and I didn't like the foot pocket. From what I have heard the turtles finally answered the call of drysuit divers foot pocket needs.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

mancub wrote:I am assuming you are referring to the xs scuba turtles. The closest thing I've used were jets and I didn't like the foot pocket. From what I have heard the turtles finally answered the call of drysuit divers foot pocket needs.
You would be assuming correctly

http://www.xsscuba.com/fin_turtle.html
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

(Shameless plug)

I got both the 2xl and 3xl from Matt at NWSD (along with the corresponding spring straps.) Pay him a visit!

(/Shameless plug)

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

mancub wrote:I am assuming you are referring to the xs scuba turtles. The closest thing I've used were jets and I didn't like the foot pocket. From what I have heard the turtles finally answered the call of drysuit divers foot pocket needs.
That depends on how BIG the dry suit diver's feet are!

I use XXL Jet Fins on my big clod-hopper feet when I'm wearing Rock-Boots. They are, literally, the only fin that will fit and I love them. When the Jets came out in XXL they finally answered MY needs! HA!

I wear a set of Turtle Fins when warm water diving, since the foot pocket is much smaller.

Having met you, mancub, I know that your feet are nowhere near as large as mine, and I'd bet that Turtles will be perfect for you.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Turtles ROCK!!! :metal: :metal: :metal:

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

penelope turned me on to turtles. ( :hello2: THANK YOU :hello2: ) i had a pair of tusas, and i thought i was some sort of weak little stick or something, paddling like hell and getting nowhere but tired. i was always struggling to keep up with garret. very frustrating... borrowed a pair of turtles during the club dive and HOLY COW! on the surface swim out i actually caught up and ran him over! legs were happy and so was I. now i have my very own pair :hearteyes:

i just cant let him have a pair, i like a relaxed dive :uh:
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

What I love most about my Turtles is that it requires very little effort to make minor little adjustments to my position in the water. Helicopter turns, frog kicks, back kicks, all require small movements to get the desired effect, dramatically lowering my air consumption....

Being still rocks!

lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

This post is motivating me to switch to the Turtles I've been eyeing up at Matt's shop. I love my Jets, but they have a really small foot pocket which make them hard to put on and impossible to remove at the end of the dive without help from a dive buddy.

Ah....so much gear, so few scuba bucks.....
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

As long as we're talking about split fins... I was cleaning up at work tonight and someone's snorkel gear fell out of it's mesh bag.... I got such a kick out of these I had to take a photo.
YellowTwinJet.jpg
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

kat wrote:penelope turned me on to turtles. ( :hello2: THANK YOU :hello2: ) i had a pair of tusas, and i thought i was some sort of weak little stick or something, paddling like hell and getting nowhere but tired. i was always struggling to keep up with garret. very frustrating... borrowed a pair of turtles during the club dive and HOLY COW! on the surface swim out i actually caught up and ran him over! legs were happy and so was I. now i have my very own pair :hearteyes:

i just cant let him have a pair, i like a relaxed dive :uh:
That was an awesome dive - you were like a kid in a candy store!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!