Stage bottle guages

General topics about technical diving.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Stage bottle guages

Post by dieseldude »

Does anyone bother with buying guages that state they are 02 clean or is everyone using standard SPG's for their bottles?
I cant purchase 100% yet but someday I will & I would prefere not to blow up.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Stage bottle guages

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Good question, I am curious too...
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

actually i just started swapping over to the small button ones from dive rite, it takes a little getting used to but i dont really check my deco bottle pressure all that much, once before i go onto it and maybe once during use. they are only $25 and you dont need a hose.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I just use regular spgs, hoses, and regs for whatever I'm using for deco.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Sounder wrote:I just use regular spgs, hoses, and regs for whatever I'm using for deco.
Even pure O2 ?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
Sounder wrote:I just use regular spgs, hoses, and regs for whatever I'm using for deco.
Even pure O2 ?
Yes, I've used a regular (although high performance) regulator on 100% oxygen, and then have used the same regulator on 50%. Now, all my regulators are used with oxygen-safe gas (it's uber-clean), but I wouldn't freak out and O2 clean them if I used them on a non-O2-clean gas.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
Even pure O2 ?
Brass and Glass...yes.

I'll run the hp hose thru the ultrasonic or will flush it with Simple Green, to be safe. I don't even bother with the lp hoses
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's no way to O2 clean gauges. Buy new and try to keep it clean. Reality is that the valve/valve seat is 10 million X more likely to have a combustion issue than the SPG which is downstream of a tiny brass orifice.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Glad somebody asked this question, because I need to replace the spindle o-ring on one of my deco reg gauges, and was wondering exactly what I would have to go through to do it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:Glad somebody asked this question, because I need to replace the spindle o-ring on one of my deco reg gauges, and was wondering exactly what I would have to go through to do it.
Lynne,

Do make sure to use cristolube or some other O2 clean lube, and viton o-rings, make sure not to get any of the lube on the ends of the spindle, so that it blocks it. Other than that it's easy.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I use Cristolube on everything, and have nothing but Viton o-rings, so that should be okay. I've replaced spindle o-rings before, just never on an O2 reg.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

LCF wrote:I use Cristolube on everything, and have nothing but Viton o-rings, so that should be okay. I've replaced spindle o-rings before, just never on an O2 reg.
Like Richard said, there's not much you can do about an spg. Low pressure stuff doesn't bother me. However, I may be overcautious, but I do try to clean the hose and the spool with either Simple Green or Joy, and I use nitrile gloves when handling them. That's what I was taught in my O2 blender class and what Dan does as well.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding