Thermo "Pro" Din/K Valve Water Retention

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
60south
Pelagic

Thermo "Pro" Din/K Valve Water Retention

Post by 60south »

I have been told that this kind of valve needs to be specially cleared of water before you fill the tank.

As it was shown to me, you do this by partially plugging the outlet with your hand, open the valve, and small amounts of water will spray out a tiny hole on the side. And indeed, that is what appears to happen. Well hey, look at that!

Apparently if you don't do this, the water "ends up inside the tank". Huh? :uh:

I am failing to visualize how this works. How can some back pressure with your fingers clear the valve of water, while attaching a HP whip would not? I'm confused. Anybody have more info about this? Valve diagrams? Wild guesses?

And "water retention" is not a reference to my valves gaining weight (I thought I'd just nip that joke before the thread gets hijacked).

Edit: I'm using the valves with the yoke insert, not DIN, if it matters.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Re: Thermo "Pro" Din/K Valve Water Retention

Post by wallyc72 »

All you have to do to get the water out is open the valve slightly before you hook it up to the fill whip. This should be done on EVERY tank before filling...
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

wallyc72 wrote:All you have to do to get the water out is open the valve slightly before you hook it up to the fill whip. This should be done on EVERY tank before filling...
Of course. But on this particular type of valve that technique is apparently insufficient.

Maybe the small hole is a water drain for the gap between the DIN threads and yoke insert(?). Thus applying back pressure with your hand forces air into the DIN threads and clears them of water.

But I don't get how that "thread" water, if that's what it is, could potentially end up inside the tank if you're using a yoke whip to fill it. Can anybody confirm/deny this?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

just blow out the valve like any other. there are 2 orings on the din insert one on the inside, another on the out. the inner one keeps the "thread water" from going into the tank
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

60south wrote:Edit: I'm using the valves with the yoke insert, not DIN, if it matters.
Does this matter? I use mine as DIN-should I be blowing them out before I take them in to be filled? Or will any decent shop employee know to do that?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

scottsax wrote:
60south wrote:Edit: I'm using the valves with the yoke insert, not DIN, if it matters.
Does this matter? I use mine as DIN-should I be blowing them out before I take them in to be filled? Or will any decent shop employee know to do that?
I'd say 97% of tank fillers don't do this. Do it yourself EVERY time!