Anyone ever dived Brown's Bay?

General banter about diving and why we love it.

Anyone ever dived Brown's Bay?

Post by . »

Located just south of 100ft Rock. I can't remember where I got the info, but as I understand, this was the site where old wooden sailing ships used to dump their ballast, and piles of cannon-ball sized rocks can be found there. My thinking is if they used to dump ballast, chances are they also dumped other things, such as artifacts. There is no shore access, it's too far to hike/swim there.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone ever dived Brown's Bay?

Post by John Rawlings »

Brinybay wrote:Located just south of 100ft Rock. I can't remember where I got the info, but as I understand, this was the site where old wooden sailing ships used to dump their ballast, and piles of cannon-ball sized rocks can be found there. My thinking is if they used to dump ballast, chances are they also dumped other things, such as artifacts. There is no shore access, it's too far to hike/swim there.
All true!

I haven't dived it in years, but every now and then you could still locate old artifacts and bottles that would show up as the sands shifted due to current and storms. Not much to it, but it always made for an interesting dive.....we usually did it as a dive #2 or #3 - it was never the primary draw.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/

Re: Anyone ever dived Brown's Bay?

Post by . »

John Rawlings wrote: All true!

I haven't dived it in years, but every now and then you could still locate old artifacts and bottles that would show up as the sands shifted due to current and storms. Not much to it, but it always made for an interesting dive.....we usually did it as a dive #2 or #3 - it was never the primary draw.

- John
The fun is in the trying, I guess. The prospect of finding a bit of history is always exciting.