Sweet Cheap 640 Lumen Dive Light - $95 retail

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
skyydiiver
Avid Diver

Sweet Cheap 640 Lumen Dive Light - $95 retail

Post by skyydiiver »

All,

I came across and ordered a CREE MC-E dive light rated at 640 Lumen and good for 100 meters on DealExtreme for $95.00 (it was $85 a few weeks ago when i ordered it)

I got to dive it and so far I am very impressed with the performance and brightness. The light comes as a kit with a set of 18650 Li-ion 2200mAh cells, charger, and 4 extra o-rings. It is small, lightweight, and at least as bright (if not more than in my opinion due to a tighter focus) as say a 14-watt HID (compared to CarDivers' Nite Rider light). It has four settings, 100%,50%,25%, and 100% 30 Hz Strobe (why, I don't know).

I plan on using it as my primary light and abusing it as much as possible and will update everyone with what i find out. So far the stock batteries (2200mAh) provide 2hrs 5min of burn time on high for the first cycle of the batteries (the claimed burn time is 3.5 hrs but is not specific on what setting). I still need to do a burn test with the 2500mAh cells. Also, I have only had it to 76ft so i don't know how stout is is going to actually be.

As a disclaimer, it is an unbranded, chinese made light and even though i have been impressed so far, I have no idea if it is actually good to 100m or if it is actually 640 Lm or how durable it is going to be. But for $95 (no tax, free shipping) it seems to be a pretty good deal for at least a back up light.

Oh and it took three weeks to get the light after ordering and i had to sign for it...i.e. pick it up at the post office center. The site said that it was in stock and ships in 2-3 days but it still took three weeks.

If you do want to get one, here is what i ordered. and I suggest also getting one of the $3 plastic cases for the extra set of batteries.

SKU 05790 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) $8.98 -
SKU 26498 Diving Cree MC-E (K-WC) 3-Mode 640-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340)

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26498

Also, if you search on Scuba Board, there is a thread about this light by tactical HID as well as a review by Buccaneer.

Happy diving! \:D/

Matt
Scuba Diving is not a sport...it's a Leisure Activity - Kerie
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Sweet Cheap 640 Lumen Dive Light - $95 retail

Post by H20doctor »

Looks really nice Matt.. And even at that price its a steal.. Billet alumin.. Looks cool .. Take a picture of it in your hand so we can see the length..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

H20doctor wrote:Take a picture of it in your hand so we can see the length..
:rofl: :laughing3: :laughing3: :rofl: :rofl: :laughing3: :laughing3: :rofl:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

be careful with those cells and charger. From several accounts on CPF, they do have a tendency to let the magic smoke out.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
skyydiiver
Avid Diver

Post by skyydiiver »

thanks for the heads up, at this point i am only charging them when i'm home and awake, as i don't completely trust the whole cheap Li-ion charger combo.

As for the picture...i'll get to that when i get back after this wekend.

The size...of the light that is...is shown on the DX site in the additional pictures, but it is about 8in long with a light head of 2.25" the handle is just the thickness of the metal larger than the cells so about an inch.
Scuba Diving is not a sport...it's a Leisure Activity - Kerie
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

H20doctor wrote:Looks really nice Matt.. And even at that price its a steal.. Billet alumin.. Looks cool .. Take a picture of it in your hand so we can see the length..

here's a pic of the light next to a ruler in centimeters.

and here's a pic of the lighthead being measured with a micrometer, which is the same tool mattleycrue uses to measure whatever's in his hand.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

So roughly the dimensions of a 2C maglite. A little narrower handle.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Matts got .. Ahem on the brain .. :breakdance: Git Er Done ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen