Theft at Redondo

General banter about diving and why we love it.

Theft at Redondo

Post by . »

I learned today that a good friend of mine had his vehicle broken into and his wallet, log book (including c-cards), and check book all taken while diving at Redondo recently. Apparently they gained entry using a "slim-jim" device. His vehicle is an older Chevy Astro van so it wasn't difficult to pop the lock. I've heard of others in the not too distant past getting ripped off while diving there. This was confirmed by the officer investigating who said my friend was the third diver he's come in contact with recently that fell victim to this sort of thing.

What's with Redondo, anyway? I don't dive there much, but it doesn't seem like the sort of neighborhood where this sort of thing would be rampant.

But in either event, a word to the wise, might be a good idea to take along a shore support person if you plan on diving there, or just make sure you leave nothing of value in your vehicle.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

There were some problems this summer. Theives wait until divers are in the water and then "hit" their cars. It has been happening all over the place. Unfortunately, divers have been "discovered" by theives.

Sorry to hear about your friend. That really sucks. I try to keep a non-diver near the cars when I dive there. It seems to work...I haven't been hit at Redondo.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com

Post by . »

Well, I think I'm going to remove my dive stickers from my car. Not that it would stop them if they are watching, but no sense in aiding them with advertising, plus not leaving my wallet or valuables in the car. I've had stuff stolen also, fortunately it was just what they could easily grab out of the back of my pickup, a regulator bag. All it had in it were some marine id charts and my watch. The watch wasn't a big loss, I always buy cheap ones. That was at the oil dock a year or so ago. In my buddy's case, his was a dive business vehicle with the name of the business on the sides and back, so no way could he hide the fact that he was going to be out of site for at least a half hour.

The sad part about this is I used to love to answer questions about diving from people who asked while I was gearing up. I'm going to be more cautious about it now.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

That is really sad.. when we dove in hawaii, (a friend of mine lived there) that was a really big problem.. the soloution for us was to walk up to the groups of people sitting there and talk to them, if you were cool to them, your car would be untouched. I guess they didn't like 'tourists'. (The dive spots were out in the middle of nowhere)

I heard of a funny experiment where people would get up at the beach and ask a stranger to watch their stuff while they went somewhere for a minute. Then they would have a stooge go up and try to steal something.. some of the strangers (asked to guard the stuff) would actually tackle the person trying to steal another person's stuff!
SOOOO if someone looks suspicious I guess you should ask them to watch your truck.... Maybe they think you could identify them if you speak to them or something...or perhaps just guilt? IDK Something to think about!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

this is getting to be a real problem I guess

I know Janna had some real important stuf taken once from her car

but as for my self I had never had any problems at any dive site yet knock on wood

infact for me its been just the other way round

I have had people come up to my holding a peice of dive gear and ask me excuse me sir does this blong to me we found this down by the water

I ask them to drop it of at the Edmonds under water dive shop and I would guess they had

just goes to show there is still good folks out there that dont dive just not as amny as there use to be

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

My Advanced Nitrox instructor (Randy Williams) was broken into at Redondo last Saturday ... in broad daylight. They "slim jimmed" his vehicle as well.

I suspect these thieves are watching from somewhere ... they seem to know exactly whose car to hit, and when.

Removing dive stickers won't do much ... they've been hitting the boaters vehicles pretty hard too.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmmm.... time for a stake out?? :axe: :violent3:

Post by . »

Grateful Diver wrote:My Advanced Nitrox instructor (Randy Williams) was broken into at Redondo last Saturday ... in broad daylight. They "slim jimmed" his vehicle as well.

I suspect these thieves are watching from somewhere ... they seem to know exactly whose car to hit, and when.

Removing dive stickers won't do much ... they've been hitting the boaters vehicles pretty hard too.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That's who I was referring to. Cost him $100 just to replace the c-cards alone. Fortunately he contacted the credit card companies in time to not be liable for any unauthorized charges.

Post by . »

Tom Nic wrote:Hmmmm.... time for a stake out?? :axe: :violent3:
Boy, wouldn't I just LOVE to nail someone! I'm afraid though that I would be the one that ended up in jail. I hate thieves and I fight dirty.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Brinybay wrote:Boy, wouldn't I just LOVE to nail someone! I'm afraid though that I would be the one that ended up in jail. I hate thieves and I fight dirty.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but realisically it'd be you who got in trouble with the law. It's just not worth it, though its fun to think about.

There has been some talk about a "surface support team" / "security watch" for diver's cars - which is probably the only realisic approach, along with leaving NOTHING of value in your car to begin with. (hard, I know).
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

well - it could just mean that we always dive in teams - and stagger ourselves. Team a dives - team b watches, once they get back and are doing their surface interval, team b dives. Since we have to have a surface interval anyway, I think it could work.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a Live video feed at the parking lot!
or set up some fake survalience cameras for a deterrant.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm happy to help where I can... there are ways of catching folks without going to jail yourself. Don't be stupid, don't do it alone, don't assume their unarmed, and don't assume they'll just give up and roll over. If you're going to confront someone, you'd be wise to be prepared for whatever might come of it. Generally, it's not a good idea to tangle with bad guys (or anyone for that matter), but certainly don't go to jail because someone else is a jerk.

The most important thing to remember is whenever possible, leave everything in plain sight so they can see that there is nothing worth stealing. Don't take anything with you that you're not taking into the water with you, put your cell and wallet in a small dry bag and put it inside your suit, don't leave your keys on the front tire, and don't show people how cool your stuff is.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Its hard to take your advice seriously as I'm looking at your "Bill Murry" Avitar :laughing3:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

BASSMAN wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a Live video feed at the parking lot!
or set up some fake survalience cameras for a deterrant.
They'd probably just steal the cameras ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I should really dig up some old swat pictures... they're fun. I'm just a little 5'8" guy (I used to be in much better shape before the desk job) - but I look like the terminator in all my gear! :naka: FWIW - I think Steve Zissou is a strapping man with strong leadership skills and made a wonderful captain worthy of crew loyalty.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!