Jumpsuit or Farmer John/Jacket?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tropic Thunder
Just Settling In

Jumpsuit or Farmer John/Jacket?

Post by Tropic Thunder »

Just asking for peoples' advice or experience:

What is considered to keep you warmer, a jumpsuit, or farmer john/jane and step-through jacket combo? I've heard differing opinions.

Thank you for your responses. :snorkel:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Jumpsuit or Farmer John/Jacket?

Post by Norris »

I was under the impression that the farmer John setup is warmer due to the Doubling up on the Torso. Actually creates more insulation???

I have a farmer John and when I dove wet last winter, it hooked me up just fine.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Before I went dry :breakdance:

I had a jumpsuit and then a vest/hood combo unit.
I found this kept me a lot warmer then the (rental) farmer john unit I was using for the classes.

This one

And then the hood/vest for it

The most important thing is whatever wetsuit set up you go with make sure it fits tights.
Your goal is the lowest water exchange inside the suit.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Go wool or go home!

+1 for a vest beneath your full jumpsuit. A wool lined vest with a hood even.

I just noticed that pinnacle was bought by zeagle. I sure hope they don't screw up my favorite kiwi provider of neoprene products.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

FlyinV wrote:Before I went dry :breakdance:

I had a jumpsuit and then a vest/hood combo unit.
I found this kept me a lot warmer then the (rental) farmer john unit I was using for the classes.

This one

And then the hood/vest for it

The most important thing is whatever wetsuit set up you go with make sure it fits tights.
Your goal is the lowest water exchange inside the suit.
Before going dry, I had the Bare Arctic full suit and hooded vest. Dove it during the snow last december and was toasty warm (for a wetsuit).
Sean
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I have never heard a big debate about warmth between the two, it seems to be a matter of personal preference coupled with quality of the suit and proper fit of the wetsuit. When I was diving the full suit/vest and hood combo I envied the folks in their farmer john's for the ability to get out of the maximum amount of neoprene in the shortest possible time. If you are a little claustrophobic (I am) think about ease of getting out of the pesky thing as well as warmth. It matters in both winter (getting out of a suit and into warm clothes as soon as possible, preferably before the neoprene starts to freeze solid) and in summer (getting out of black neoprene before spontaneous combustion takes place).
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I wear a Mares IsoTherm semi dry all year and it works great, The Isotherm keeps water from exchanging, it's wet but YOUR warm, if anything I'm too warm... Tighter is better :hah: , just this side of feeling like you can't breathe will give you the most out of a wet suit...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

What will keep you warmer? A drysuit.

Unless you're some abnormal size, watch CL carefully for a used drysuit and you should be able to pick one up for what you'd spend on a good wet or semi-dry. I did 2 winters diving a lot. I did it, it can be done, but freezing your :bootyshake: off gets old.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:What will keep you warmer? A drysuit.

Yeah....yeah. Dive wet however you want to. I had maybe 50 or 60 dives in the ol' farmer john getup before I broke. I was never very cold underwater, but changing out of that damn thing really sucked after a while. I (heart) my drysuit.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."