Liquivision X1

General topics about technical diving.
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Re: Liquivision X1

Post by Gill Envy »

Sounder wrote: The dealer at Tacoma Scuba says he was told that a child had broken the computer while left unattended with it in the owner's office, and the dealer has said he will confirm this account. This information is different from the description of the incident given by the owner, who did not even contest this different version of events when confronted with it. Additionally, the owner has accepted the offer of replacing the unit at a substantial discount due Liquivision's sympathy to these circumstances.

The new information that a child had damaged the computer combined with the engineer's impressions of the physical damage to the computer confirmed our suspicions that the computer had experienced gross mishandling.

-Doug
thanks Doug for this compelling explanation. would you please simply post a photo of the screen, it would settle this once and for all, though based on this and a PM from a trusted source I am concluding for now that the X1 owner in question has, how shal I say, left out some important details... If that is the case, I am very disappointed in him. given the other thread relating to screen issues, it was important to me to get to the bottom of this as an X1 may still yet be in my future.

Kind regards,
george
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Sorry guys, this was a computer that I have in fact seen. I wasn't aware that it was the same computer that I had seen at Tacoma Scuba, until Doug posted as much.

I'd like to retract what I have said in this post, and apologize to Doug for giving him a hard time (I don't apologize much, but when I'm wrong, I'm wrong).

There was no way the computer I saw fell off a shelf at 3 feet, and broke. From the look of that computer I had asked if three things had happened:
1)Kid got a hold of it.
2)Proud owner pitched it on the ground like Doug shows off in the cove 2 parking lot, and the device smacked a corner edge on the screen just right.
3)Owner dropped his dubs on it accidently.

I was told that it was mentioned that a child was involved. I was not aware that this computer was the computer in question on this post.

Once again, the only way the damage I saw could occur by falling three feet to a hard surface is if there is a bowling ball right above it, helping it along it's path to doom.

I personally am back to my confused state of whether or not I should get a liquivision or a sherwood. Thank god I don't have the money for either. I've got plenty of time to contemplate.... now who wants to send me a loaner for a review? >0]

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Gill Envy wrote:thanks Doug for this compelling explanation. would you please simply post a photo of the screen, it would settle this once and for all, though based on this and a PM from a trusted source I am concluding for now that the X1 owner in question has, how shal I say, left out some important details... If that is the case, I am very disappointed in him. given the other thread relating to screen issues, it was important to me to get to the bottom of this as an X1 may still yet be in my future.

Kind regards,
george
Thank you all for your understanding in this unfortunate matter.

George, I do hope you will consider an X1 as a competitive option when you are next in the market for a computer. If you would like to take one for a test drive, I'd be glad to arrange that.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Thank you Doug for the offer, I may just take you up on it. It will be a while yet before I need a second computer for my rig as my wife is still on maternity leave from diving and I get to use hers for redundancy until she gets back into diving. Bottom line is that i'm always in the market and after my quarries here and on rebreatherworld, I am impressed with the response of users and convinced that the customer service of your company is top notch (sending out a new unit to help someone in a pinch before even seeing the one in question is shining brilliance). Superb customer service is one of the main things I look for when considering purchasing technical dive gear, because the fact is that sh!t happens... it's how it's dealt with that matters. I am working on a list of questions I have about the X1 but think it's best to bring them up in a separate thread at some point in the nearish future.

onwards and upwards,
george
Gill Envy

RedOne
Just Settling In

Post by RedOne »

I think this should go to separate thread as “How to test computers” but since there is no separate thread I’ll post it here.
It happens that I am around bunch of unruly kids all day because my wife has home day care. I am sure that if I gave them my Suunto (that I don’t like) they would not be able to break it. They do break other things easily but those are not underwater computers.
What in the world this kid did? Took a hammer and had major smashing day with it? How strong is the kid?
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

RedOne wrote:I think this should go to separate thread as “How to test computers” but since there is no separate thread I’ll post it here.
It happens that I am around bunch of unruly kids all day because my wife has home day care. I am sure that if I gave them my Suunto (that I don’t like) they would not be able to break it. They do break other things easily but those are not underwater computers.
What in the world this kid did? Took a hammer and had major smashing day with it? How strong is the kid?
Give my kid your Suunto. I guarantee you it will no longer work within 20 seconds after hand off.

D(B)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

RedOne wrote:I think this should go to separate thread as “How to test computers” but since there is no separate thread I’ll post it here.
Are you kidding me?

In the past eight years I've broken three Suunto's (two Favors and a Vytec) and two Oceanic Versa Pro's ... and I'm not even a kid!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I have no doubt my kids could pull a "gone in 60 seconds" with any dive computer. And they are gentle well behaved children. You should see what their cousins are capable of. They would break a steel ball bearing if its cost was high enough.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

airsix wrote: They would break a steel ball bearing if its cost was high enough.
My cousin Tommy used to be pretty hard on his stuff when he was a little kid. When he was five, his dad decided to play a trick on little Tommy, and get him a toy for Christmas that he could not break ... yup, a steel ball bearing (Uncle Doug was a mechanic who worked on large trucks and construction equipment).

Tommy didn't in fact, break the steel ball ... but about 15 seconds after he opened his Christmas present he heaved it through the living room window ... =D>

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I like Pelican's Warrenty
This guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack or damage caused by children under five.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

I appreciate the input I have received from this post, thanks to all who provided their opinions. I have been exercising great restraint, 1st because I understand that everything we write is permanent and can't be taken back, 2nd because I really liked the computer and would like to be reassured that it is as tough and reliable as advertised. I wish I had a copy of a video that would show what really happened at my desk. I spoke the facts as I know them to be true. I have never accused anyone of lying about what they believe to have been the cause of the damage. I would appreciate if Liquivision would post a picture of the computers extensive damage so this issue can be ended in the court of public opinion. I have not requested a return yet of the computer because I am still considering buying another, and they wanted to ship both back to me together to save on postage costs. This is alot of money for me to spend that I do not have right now due to other emergencies (broken dishwasher, garage door opener, wife taking trip, etc etc) this month. I have two friends locally who also bought this computer and have been extremely happy with theirs. Liquivision has indeed generously replaced many computers which have had defects or screen cracks. This has got to be incurring financial hardship on them, as the computers do not appear to be repairable. I have received a free demo shearwater computer to try out in the interim, It certainly seems alot more robust than the X1. I am diving it tonight, and will let you know what I think of it.

Kirby Pollard
Firefighter, East Pierce Fire and Rescue
(253) 347-2817 (cell)
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Kirby, it was a pleasant surprise running into you last weekend and sobering to hear your tale first hand, wow is this a small planet! I am sorry if I implied that you withheld information, you seem like a reputable person and yet I was not there and it's impossible for me to gain say anyone in this matter. It's problematic to take sides in such a case, except that it looks like there have been quite a few others with cracking and other issue that have been well taken care of and that's what bothered me.

Kind Regards,
george
Kirby wrote:I appreciate the input I have received from this post, thanks to all who provided their opinions. I have been exercising great restraint, 1st because I understand that everything we write is permanent and can't be taken back, 2nd because I really liked the computer and would like to be reassured that it is as tough and reliable as advertised. I wish I had a copy of a video that would show what really happened at my desk. I spoke the facts as I know them to be true. I have never accused anyone of lying about what they believe to have been the cause of the damage. I would appreciate if Liquivision would post a picture of the computers extensive damage so this issue can be ended in the court of public opinion. I have not requested a return yet of the computer because I am still considering buying another, and they wanted to ship both back to me together to save on postage costs. This is alot of money for me to spend that I do not have right now due to other emergencies (broken dishwasher, garage door opener, wife taking trip, etc etc) this month. I have two friends locally who also bought this computer and have been extremely happy with theirs. Liquivision has indeed generously replaced many computers which have had defects or screen cracks. This has got to be incurring financial hardship on them, as the computers do not appear to be repairable. I have received a free demo shearwater computer to try out in the interim, It certainly seems alot more robust than the X1. I am diving it tonight, and will let you know what I think of it.

Kirby Pollard
Firefighter, East Pierce Fire and Rescue
(253) 347-2817 (cell)
Gill Envy

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

As much as I enjoy the horse story, like the rest of you do, this site is still for people 13 years old and up, who are interested in diving, and that particular topic is orthogonally related to the original topic, at best - so I removed a few posts.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Tangfish wrote:As much as I enjoy the horse story, like the rest of you do, this site is still for people 13 years old and up, who are interested in diving, and that particular topic is orthogonally related to the original topic, at best - so I removed a few posts.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming.
Thanks Calvin
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.