Greetings

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Cera
Submariner

Greetings

Post by Cera »

It seems like everyone introduces themselves, so here I go.
My husband and I moved to Washington in January (although I went to HS here). We both dive alot, although buying a house to remodel can really tie up your time (and money) as we have found out. We have done alot of diving around hoodsport, but not much in the sound, so we hope to change that soon. I would really appreciate some advice on the top spots to dive in the area, so I don't waste my time on owens beach or potlatch type dives. (not that muck diving is all bad!)
I took the Fish ID class this weekend in Belfair and that is how I found out about this website, so thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction! I enjoy meeting new divers and I am really excited about this forum.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey!
I was at the fish ID class too!
did you also go to the Invertabrit class?
You should check out Les Davis Pier dive site (down at the waterfront of Tacoma) Just Google it you will get all the info you need, it is a great dive site.
Titlow and Day Island are great if you are carefull of the currents.

Welcom to the Club! =D>
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Yep, I went to both... Thanks for the help! I will look those up.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

So were you sitting next to Dana? (Luv2scuba)
on day 2?
luv2scuba
Frequent Bubbler

Post by luv2scuba »

Welcome Cera! Glad you could join us! Perhaps your hubby will join the board too.

Yes Bassman, she was sitting beside me on both days and she splashed the first dive with myself and lawgoddess.

Look forward to seeing you again Cera. Would love to dive again with you.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Cera, nice to have you aboard! I checked out your myspace page. Looks like you've got some good pics of yourself diving.

=D>

Here's mine.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Calvin!
I can't believe how much your Avitar looks just like you!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That was last year's Halloween costume. I like the kitty idea though!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Cera:

I see we are almost neibors you are in longview and im just down the road in the Asoria area I actuly live in Warrenton and my dive budy Jay ( lostinbrownsmead live in Brownsmead we are offten headed through Longview on our way north to dive

We should hook up and you and your husband and jay and I could team up for some diving sometime soon

and you do relise there are a hand full of real good dive sites over here on the oregon coast I can give you some more detailes if you would like

welcome to our little POD nice to see we have neibors that dive

see you son and hope to see you guys in december

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

We actually havent dove this far up the coast. My husband is from Newport, so he has dove lots, there, but not much up here. I would be really interested in diving the coast. Yea, L-town is so great ](*,) I just cant wait to get out of here sometimes! Let me know if you have some diving plans or would like to make them!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hi Cera!

Welcome. I was sitting behind you in the IV class.. 2 of my favorite sites are Redondo and Alki cove 2 (Seacrest) Although both sites can get a little murky at times.. Les Davis is a good site, but a LONG walk. I love the scallops at Les Davis, they are all over the place. And they are really active there too.

Hope to see you in the water soon!

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Thanks, my husband and I are talking about making a journey up to do all the sites in tacoma/seattle we haven't done yet. I really appreciate the feedback.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Cera!

Three Tree North is one of my favorite dive sites up here... easy access, not much parking, and for a site that doesn't have tons of underwater structure there is lots of life to see if you'll slow down and look, particularly in the shallows. You can dive there lots of times, head lots of different directions and depths and see lots of different things.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome and Hello! Looking forward to meeting you both sometime.

Sea ya!
Cephlah
Avid Diver

Post by Cephlah »

Hi Cera,

I was sitting in front of you on day 2 of the class - it was nice to have met you!

My 2 favorite sites in the Tacoma area are Day Island and Titlow Beach (both very close to my house, so shoot me a msg if you want to dive them and I'll go with you). They are both very tide-dependant, but if you hit them on the right day...GORGEOUS!

Welcome aboard! :fish:
How lucky we are - we get to see firsthand what most people only see on TV!
go_nudi
Avid Diver

Post by go_nudi »

If Owens Beach type dives are a wast of time, wow, you must be good!

Welcome all the same, i'd love to dive with you and learn what you know, though not everything, that way the simple dives will still be time well spent.

We like the book Northwest Shore Dives Third Edition by Stephen Fischnaller though it might bore you if youve done them all.

I know Catalina is a fun place to dive, that and the east side of Cozumel. Heard throught the grape vine that southern Cozumel is great as well.

Hope this helps

Caio

I just thought of another fun dive. It''s a local drift dive starting at Day Island wall and you surface at Gig Harbor near Tides Tavern. It's a pretty intense dive and best with a 5 knott current. Just kick west ever so slightly and look for those cables. Not recomended for everyone though. :supz:
Neat
Underwater
Dilly-dallying
Invertebrate
Busy
Roaming
Along
Nice
Calm
&
Happy
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay Nudi,
You go first and let me know how that goes for you!
And then I might considder it.
Last edited by BASSMAN on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Perhaps I missed something while diving at owens beach, but I didn't see anything.... I know they do the UW treasure hunt every year and what little habitat there might have been is trashed by the 100's of divers. I understand that people see 6-gills there sometimes...
Anyway, what I ment was that I would rather dive reefs than muck diving or diving on garbage (ie cars, washing machines, etc).
we also have the book you are referring to, it is a good book.
I guess I don't understand your post, I enjoy simple dives, I am just looking for new dive sites to explore.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I really like Owen Beach, but you have to enjoy looking at and for the small stuff. If you don't, you won't like this site.

I've been there and seen 9 different kinds of starfish, 4 different kinds of nudibranchs (including a baby giant nudi), octopus, pygmy poachers, sturgeon poachers, grunt sculpins, as well as the usual assortment of sole and rockfish. I've never been lucky enough to see a 6 gill, but no doubt because I've been there often enough.

Plus, the site has easy parking and BATHROOMS! \:D/

-Valerie
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Welcome Cera, looking forward to diving with you someday.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!