looking into a drysuit.....(link inside)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Gooch
Submariner

Re: looking into a drysuit.....(link inside)

Post by Gooch »

The main thing as others have said is try it on and make sure it will fit right. I've never dove crushed neo but my tri-lam outfit has a lot of room in in and I'm grateful. It's important to learn from the right folks about drysuit diving..it's a whole 'nother thing so I would recommend a dry suit class. At the minimum, you need how to deal with daily diving and emergencies with it so get that done one way or another (class). I love my drysuit and hope I can get a lot more dives out of it. It's the Bare Nex-gen which is their bottom rung (call it a $1000 dry suit with everything) but it suits me just fine.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:Do yourself a huge favor and try it on before buying. I have the CD4 and it is pretty stiff. I imagine the 6 mil is even harder. I like the crushed neoprene as it does keep me warmer BUT I have to be more careful handling it than my counterparts who are diving a shell.
They can pretty much just wrap theirs up in a ball and throw it in a bucket. I hae to roll mine all nice and tuck the arms in. Plus it is a whole heck of a lot heavier than a shell.
Dang....do I need extra weight? - read a drysuit does.....
You will need extra weight no matter what type of dry suit you dive as opposed to diving wet. You will be wearing a fluffy undergarmet AND pumping air into your suit.... equals more weight required.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacolaracer wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:Do yourself a huge favor and try it on before buying. I have the CD4 and it is pretty stiff. I imagine the 6 mil is even harder. I like the crushed neoprene as it does keep me warmer BUT I have to be more careful handling it than my counterparts who are diving a shell.
They can pretty much just wrap theirs up in a ball and throw it in a bucket. I hae to roll mine all nice and tuck the arms in. Plus it is a whole heck of a lot heavier than a shell.
You will need extra weight no matter what type of dry suit you dive as opposed to diving wet. You will be wearing a fluffy undergarmet AND pumping air into your suit.... equals more weight required.
Dang how much weight would I need to add...now I see where bp/w setup comes in handy!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
You will need extra weight no matter what type of dry suit you dive as opposed to diving wet. You will be wearing a fluffy undergarmet AND pumping air into your suit.... equals more weight required.[/quote]

Dang how much weight would I need to add...now I see where bp/w setup comes in handy![/quote]

One hundred billion pounds!

Really, it depends on you and the suit you buy. There are a lot of posts on here that talk about drysuit weighting.

I don't follow your logic about a bp/w being handy because of more weight. You can easliy add the required weight to your BCD. The BP/W is good because it lets you dial in your rig specifically for you.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

You will need extra weight no matter what type of dry suit you dive as opposed to diving wet. You will be wearing a fluffy undergarmet AND pumping air into your suit.... equals more weight required.[/quote]

Dang how much weight would I need to add...now I see where bp/w setup comes in handy![/quote]

One hundred billion pounds!

Really, it depends on you and the suit you buy. There are a lot of posts on here that talk about drysuit weighting.

I don't follow your logic about a bp/w being handy because of more weight. You can easliy add the required weight to your BCD. The BP/W is good because it lets you dial in your rig specifically for you.[/quote]

Well I remember being told a bp/w has more weight because of the metal plate....so it means less weight buttt that's what someone told me
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dashrynn wrote:Well I remember being told a bp/w has more weight because of the metal plate....so it means less weight buttt that's what someone told me
a steel plate will take about 5-6 pounds off your belt/bc. an aluminum plate is about 1lb.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I know I am a little late to the party but I bought my drysuit on craigslist for cheap. Kinda long in the legs but fit me. I had to replace the neck seals twice( my fault for not using seal saver EVERY time) and wrist seals once. Mine is a Whites shell suit from 2001 and I wear a not so thick thermal with a pair of long johns I bought from fred meyers. It keep me warm on a 1 hour dive. I would suggest to see if the seller would let you come by and try it on and wear something kinda bulky if you cannot buy the thermals first.That way you can see if it fits YOU. Also definitely check all the zipper and seams for wear. Even if things sit in a closet I am sure things can break down and what not. If you PM me I can tell you what local dive shop replaced my seals and did a very good job I think.
Jeff Castor
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

so im going today after work (4 pm)to try it on in redmond. Does anyone experienced in drysuits want to go with me?
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

We will be diving Redondo at 4pm today. I am sure that is to far for you though.
Jeff Castor
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pogiguy05 wrote:We will be diving Redondo at 4pm today. I am sure that is to far for you though.
ya a bit far, i will be in seattle around 5 30
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Dashrynn wrote:so im going today after work (4 pm)to try it on in redmond. Does anyone experienced in drysuits want to go with me?
newbie to the whole drysuit thing myself, so good luck to you...hope it fits you well and you can join the dry club....keep us posted on how it goes....
:thumb3d:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Yay! I bought a d6 pro bare drysuit! Now to work on thos skillz! The suit is in great condition! Zipper is great but neck is kinda sketchy but she inflates and holds air! Came with viking dry gloves and 3lb ankle weights dui glove liners and inflator hose. For 300$ I feel this is like stealing!