Wreck diving course?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
infinate
Just Settling In

Wreck diving course?

Post by infinate »

I am finishing up my rescue diver class this weekend but my instructor is moving down to Olympia. I live in north seattle and was wondering if anyone here could recommend someone for a wreck diving course.
if you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, don't worry their gone.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Wreck diving course?

Post by Nwbrewer »

https://nwsportsdivers.com/Home_Page.php

I think it's about monthly that Matt runs a wreck course up to Naniamo.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Wreck diving, or wreck penetration? If you're thinking wreck penetration, I'd suggest getting into an intro-to-tech class before looking into wreck penetration. Some "prepared wrecks" can be penetrated on a single tank, but I would much prefer to have manifolded doubles (and training) before going into one.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Mel Clark who is one of the top instructors in the world and a member of the womens diving hall of fame at Silent Scuba. She runs a very good wreck class tough as hell but good as all her classes are.

http://www.silentscuba.com/
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I took my wreck penetration class with Scott Christopher. It was outstanding.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Sonya Ziegenfelder runs an outstanding recreational wreck class. I am not sure when she is doing another one, but she also teaching it Nanaimo. She teaches out of UWS Federal Way.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
infinate
Just Settling In

Post by infinate »

Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I would like to start with entry level wreck penetration diving moving toward tech. Not sure how I feel about rebreathers though. Excuse my ignorance but isn't there a higher risk of something failing with those?
if you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, don't worry their gone.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

infinate wrote:Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I would like to start with entry level wreck penetration diving moving toward tech. Not sure how I feel about rebreathers though. Excuse my ignorance but isn't there a higher risk of something failing with those?
Acutulay most CCR divers feel CCR's today are far safer than OC. We have all the benefits of OC and none of the handicaps. We can talk in-detail about that if you like.

Mel Teaches OC classes as well as CCR so do not be worried about that. Scheduling can be a bit tricky at times.

Limited Wreck Diver, requires advanced open water and 10 logged dives, limiting you to light penetration. Advanced Wreck diver, requires at least a deep diver certification, giving you full penetration of wrecks within your depth certification. Technical Wreck diver is the full meal deal that's needing deco procedures course.

In many cases advanced clases can be bundled together, ie Deep diver and avanced wreck.

You could have gotten started on this a long time ago if you just finished up rescue class.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.