DCS Hit, DAN, & Virginia Mason

General banter about diving and why we love it.
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: DCS Hit, DAN, & Virginia Mason

Post by defied »

Dusty2 wrote:
Domer Down wrote:I saw another thread where DiverBob was asking what the skin bends look like, because he was not sure if this is what he had. I had refrained from sharing pictures, but perhaps it would be helpful.

Initially the rash was bright red and looked like a deep sunburn, and itched like crazy (3 hours after the dive). By 6 hours after the dive the redness had faded and I had a mottled rash remaining. Three days later and after treatment, when this picture was taken, the rash was still visible (the purple outline is from a marker used in the emergency room to outline the rash):

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=68

The rash was gone completely two days later.

OK, so now you can all pass along hilarious comments about how I somehow lost my six-pack abs over the course of 30 years of diving. :rofl:
Six pack abs??? From what I have seen of the club members they are as rare as moah moah sightings in Puget sound! :metal: :metal: :metal:
Last time I saw a six pack on this frame was when I was rocking the flight deck. It began to fill in to one solid pony keg when I got offshore!

D(B)
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

I am a big fan of geezer gas and use it pretty much exclusively now. After spending all these big bucks on equipment, I figure, why be cheap on the air I breath.

Also, I wonder if using ratio deco may be something that you would want to look into? :uh: I have been using it now for about a year and do think I feel better when I get out of the water.

Lauri
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

Lauri,

I had not heard of ratio deco before your post, so I looked it up on that wonderful invention, Wikipedia. :biggrin:

I've already started doing a 2 minute deep stop at half of my max depth on dives over 90 feet, in addition to the rec safety stop. I don't know if doing more than that would add value, but the next time we dive together I want you to tell me more about it.

Hope your Redondo dives yesterday were great!
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Domer Down wrote:I had not heard of ratio deco before your post, so I looked it up on that wonderful invention, Wikipedia. :biggrin:
That article is dreadful, only about 1/2 complete, and mixes up deco diving, different setpoints and no deco diving. A better source of information is here: http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/group/ ... oclassroom

Its not free but you get what you pay for :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Domer, well done. :smt038

I wish all divers had the courage to call DAN or go to a chamber when something goes wrong.

Like you, I've had skin bends (on the arms). Now, if I have any doubts about my health, hydration, or the diving conditions, I breathe nitrox but use air tables for NDLs. Just that much safer...
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I've called DAN twice. Well, once for someone else and once for me. Both times it ended up being nothing dive related but it's sure nice to have someone to talk to.

It's very sobering to hear (again) how you can do everything correctly and still get nailed.

My dive computer has a deep stops function (Uwatec calls it PDIS) and I normally follow its recommendations. I figure it can't hurt, and I'm in no hurry, so why not?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Domer Down, thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately, many of the stories like this that our members would benefit from go unposted, because people feel embarrassed or ashamed of their experiences. What it all boils down to though is that the decompression models we dive off of are not tailored to each individual - and thus are only "models". I, and everyone else here, appreciate your story and I believe you did all the right things.

Glad you're okay.

Calvin
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tangfish wrote:What it all boils down to though is that the decompression models we dive off of are not tailored to each individual - and thus are only "models". Calvin
Calvin,
Wait a minute! I thought you had the Bend-O-Matic Computer,
that is calibrated by you peeing on it before each dive? :hah: :calvin:

Thanks for sharing Domer Down and I'm glad it all worked out for you. :highfive:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Thanks for passing along your experience and even the photo. I never knew what the skin bends looked like - this helps! After many of my similarly-aged dive buddies have gotten hit - I dialed back my computer a few years ago, and NEVER go into the caution zone, even then. The end of my 'green' zone is what I treat as my own personal NDL. Over 50, overweight - and experiences like yours and my other friends who've been good enough to share their stories have helped me HOPEFULLY stay chamber-free. You just never know...

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

nwscubamom wrote:Thanks for passing along your experience and even the photo. I never knew what the skin bends looked like - this helps! After many of my similarly-aged dive buddies have gotten hit - I dialed back my computer a few years ago, and NEVER go into the caution zone, even then. The end of my 'green' zone is what I treat as my own personal NDL. Over 50, overweight - and experiences like yours and my other friends who've been good enough to share their stories have helped me HOPEFULLY stay chamber-free. You just never know...

- Janna :)
Janna,

I'm glad this was helpful to you and to the others who posted; that's why I did this. I figured the mild embarrassment should be overcome by a desire to help out some buddies if possible. Since my accident, I'm with you. I now never enter the caution zone on my computer, and I also watch all of those little things that make a difference. How about we "very experienced" divers now show these young folks how it's done? :)
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.