Another Yellow submarine (What is this?)

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Another Yellow submarine (What is this?)

Post by Nwbrewer »

Anybody want a project? Anybody know what it is? I didn't get a lot of time to look it over, it looks like it was either a realistic looking movie prop, or an actual, functional submarine at some point. At any rate, kind of cool to be left rotting by the side of the road.

I forgot to resize the images, here's the links, I'll post them re-sized later.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x264 ... G_5843.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x264 ... G_5844.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x264 ... G_5845.jpg
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Another Yellow submarine (What is this?)

Post by smike »

Looks like a DIY that didn't quite make it. Bet the wife hates it. She could of had a new kitchen, but instead the husband made this "thing" out in the driveway...
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

smike wrote:Looks like a DIY that didn't quite make it. Bet the wife hates it. She could of had a new kitchen, but instead the husband made this "thing" out in the driveway...

It looked more partially dis-assembled than partially assembled. If it was a DIY it was done by somebody with skills.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I would jump on that! I've got a spot where I can trailer it up and work on it at my house. The condition of the hull would be a huge factor though.

D(B)
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Jake I know you've been wanting to build your own scooter. I think you should use this as a starting point. Can you imagine the looks you'll get when you show up to Monday Mukilteo Madness with this?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

What boy (or some girls) didn't want a submarine when they were a kid? This looks too high grade to be somebodies DIY--must have been a real sub at some point. If it was a DIY- the floats would be made from 55gallon barrels---at least, that was my plan.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I cant tell by the pictures but does it have its own propulsion? Was it meant to be lowered by a "mother ship?"
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Norris wrote:I cant tell by the pictures but does it have its own propulsion? Was it meant to be lowered by a "mother ship?"

Yeah, it had at least 2 props on it.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

defied wrote:I would jump on that! I've got a spot where I can trailer it up and work on it at my house. The condition of the hull would be a huge factor though.

D(B)

D, I don't know if the owner has any interest in parting with it, it's just in a field at the side of the road. If you are serious, send me a PM, I'll tell you where it is.

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Nwbrewer wrote:
defied wrote:I would jump on that! I've got a spot where I can trailer it up and work on it at my house. The condition of the hull would be a huge factor though.

D(B)

D, I don't know if the owner has any interest in parting with it, it's just in a field at the side of the road. If you are serious, send me a PM, I'll tell you where it is.
Do you know what my wife would do to me if I brought that home? She'd probably figure that I'm trying to come up with more inventive ways to kill myself, and just do it for me! 0]

It would be awesome though. 0]

D(B)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

defied wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

D(B)

Do you know what my wife would do to me if I brought that home? She'd probably figure that I'm trying to come up with more inventive ways to kill myself, and just do it for me! 0]

It would be awesome though. 0]

D(B)
I got the same reaction, and i didn't even mention using it, I wanted it for yard art. I already get enough static over the anchors.

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I'm building a playground for my kids and incorporating that thing would make me the coolest dad in the neighborhood. It would also make me the most hated husband. <sigh>

(where is it and did you talk to anyone about it?)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:I got the same reaction, and i didn't even mention using it, I wanted it for yard art. I already get enough static over the anchors.
"Yard art?" :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I would say if anyone "seriously" wanted to resurrect this sub, make sure you wear your dive kit when you try it out so you don't become a permanent part of the attraction when it sinks. Also, make sure it sinks someplace where it can become our first "Ships-to-Reefs" attraction :)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:I'm building a playground for my kids and incorporating that thing would make me the coolest dad in the neighborhood. It would also make me the most hated husband. <sigh>

(where is it and did you talk to anyone about it?)

The house it's at didn't look to friendly, so I chose not to go ask questions. I ran up, took the pictures, and took off again. It's just off the ferry on Guemes Island.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Huh- looks like a stalled-out attempt at building one of these:

http://www.psubs.org/

Really cool site, btw.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Hey Josh---this sub site you found is the coolest! Pictures of tons of subs these guys are trying (or have) made. Neat page.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gooch wrote:Hey Josh---this sub site you found is the coolest! Pictures of tons of subs these guys are trying (or have) made. Neat page.

Yeah, there are some pretty incredible home projects on there. You can find some interesting vids of psubs on Youtube, too.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Gooch wrote:Hey Josh---this sub site you found is the coolest! Pictures of tons of subs these guys are trying (or have) made. Neat page.

Yeah, there are some pretty incredible home projects on there. You can find some interesting vids of psubs on Youtube, too.
Yeah, I was on that site back when they first started it up. If you search through some of the build plans, you may find a couple of my implementations in their work. 0] Hell, I think a couple fo them actually have my name on them.

psubs.org is a great site.

I wonder... sinking it may be nifty....

D(B)
ScubaWarrior
Avid Diver

Post by ScubaWarrior »

I was actually wanting to go look at this place that makes subs in BC. They use scuba bottles for air, fully loaded and goto 300 feet and hold 3 people. they was like $40k and a used one was about $27k. Load it on a trailer like a regular boat, but you just "dive". This one you all talking about here is pretty kewl too.