Uninsured

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Uninsured

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, I'm about to get laid off, and I just lost my health insurance. My company didn't qualify for COBRA, and I couldn't afford it if we did, anyway. Can anyone recommend a bare-bones "oh crap" policy?

Oh, and if anyone needs home repairs or anything, I might know a guy......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Uninsured

Post by scottsax »

Ah, that sucks man. Sorry about that.

I sent you an email with some quotes...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

PM sent. (OK, PM about to be composed and sent.)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Josh,

You can apply for insurance with a private insurer. When I left my last job, COBRA was outrageously expensive. I just shopped around. I was with Regence Blue Shield for a few years, then their rates shot up. So, I shopped around again. The best prices I found was with Group Health. Normally they are the most expensive, but I found a policy, $1000 deductible with $25 doctor visits and prescriptions for $210 a month. They have catastrophic plans for under $100 a month.

Make sure your DAN is up to date too.

Go to http://www.ghc.org, click on health plans, then individual and family. Hope this helps.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I second the recommendation for Group Health. I'll add that the Group Health of today is much better than the Group Health of my childhood in that I can get same day appointments when I need them, don't wait excessive amounts of time, and have online access to scheduling, labs, prescriptions, etc. From a diver's perspective the normal place for me to get emergency care is Virgina Mason so if I had a any sort of event and went to VM they would have access to me medical records and I wouldn't get dinged for going out of network (not that I don't have DAN).
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I'll 3rd the recommendation for GHC, but I'm biased...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks, everyone! Got some good leads- Group Health is looking pretty good so far.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I go through AETNA, but even though they are really awesome, for the unemployed self-insurer, I would highly recommend Group Health as well. They are pretty sweet.

D(B)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Group Health RAWKS! You couldn't to pry me away from them with a crow-bar! =D>
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey Nailer, Health Insurance is the only line I do not do in my agency. That said, before I got married last year I had a personal insurance policy. The last time it renewed I went on line and got a ton of quotes from E insurance. They ended up saving me like $250 a month. Don't look down on having a large deductible since hospitals are more than happy to take payments for your share of the bill. Also if you can get the prescription drug rider, even with a large deductible you get the insurance companies lower negotiated price. Good luck.
Charles
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Check out Mega Life and Health.

And yes, that sucks big time Josh.

Hopefully the building trades are nearing bottom and things will begin to trend upwards again. I have a friend who specializes in helping folks through the permit process and tracks the permits etc pretty close. Good news is it feels like this is the bottom. Bad news is that this is the bottom.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Bummer, Josh! I'm so sorry - if you need any help (beer to drown your sorrows, Irish pub to lift your spirit), just holler.

I don't know anything about insurance.

I'm interested in having a deck built, new carpet put in, and new flooring in my kitchen and bathroom, although not for another few months.

Also, I'm in Olympia.

... I'm not a very good resource, am I. :angryblue:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS