Saltar's Point

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
bnboly
Submariner

Saltar's Point

Post by bnboly »

Dive Site Name: Saltar's Point

Current Sensitive: Weak and variable - none noted when I dove the site.

Location/Address: Steilacoom - access is at the intersection of First and Champion streets in Steilacoom.

Directions: Driving - comming from I5 take the Dupont exit and turn right on Dupont-Steilacoom Rd. Once you get into Steilacoom turn left onto Grove St (turn left where you would normally turn right to go into downtown Steilacoom), turn right onto 1st.

Free Parking: yes - limited

Staging Area: good

Surface Swim: short

Nearby Facilities: none at the site - the town of Steilacoom is only 4 blocks away.

Special Considerations: This is a Washington State Marine Conservation area. For more info check out [url=http://]wdfw.wa.gov/fish/mpa/puget_sound/index.htm[/url]

Maximum Depth: Our max depth was approx 50FSW. Entering in front of the shelter the closed marina is on the left - that is where you want to head - there are wrecks all around the pilings - we encountered 6 or 7 ranging in size from about 6' to almost 25'. There are lots of critters under the buildings - be sure to take a light!
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Need to update the current portion of this report - tried to dive this a few days ago and encountered considerable current. Will have to consult the dtaes and times we dove here before and determint the best time to dive.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
ScubaWarrior
Avid Diver

Re: Saltar's Point

Post by ScubaWarrior »

I personally dive here a lot and found that the current is great of you "use" it. If there is current, this is not a place for beginners. Fun site, found 7 boats there so far and hear that there is more. :pirate:
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

This is an awesome site to dive, but there can be a rough current at times. Another note that you should add is that there are a lot of stairs to walk down and back up. I have found that this has been a problem for some of my older dive buddies since some of them have knee problems.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
orsk
Getting To Know Folks

Post by orsk »

I had this site as my DM mapping project. The currents can get fairly rough at times if you failed to check on them.
The stairs can be a beast carrying gear. They are steep, old, and uneven from wear. There is (or was) a pavilion with some tables to prep on, and at one time there was a public squat hole shack (may be gone now). I haven't dove there since 2008 because I got sick of the place while doing my mapping.
If I can find my map I'll try to get it up here.
Tim
I have too much Blood in my Nitrogen system!!
http://www.cafepress.com/yourscubastate
Hellfish2004
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Hellfish2004 »

I hear the steps over the train tracks were taken out a few weeks ago. Anyone know if they have been repaired yet?
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

I know this is kind of old, but while diving at sunnyside park today, a nearby resident and I got to chatting. He stated he had spoken with BNSF and that the new bridge over the tracks should be completed in November.