sometimes ya gotta just laugh ...

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

sometimes ya gotta just laugh ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Coupla weeks ago my furnace crapped out on me. So I called the furnace doctor, he came and took a look and advised me it was time for a new one ... I figured OK, it's old, so's the hot water heater. So I replaced 'em both ... cost me almost $9K, cuz all the wiring and ductwork had to be replaced too (out of code or some such).

Three days after the new units went in my dishwasher died. Got a new one installed yesterday. Turns out all the plumbing had to be replaced too. The joys of old home ownership. Oh well ... it's only money.

Earlier today my sister called. The account me and two of my sibs set up to help pay my mom's medical bills got hacked ... it's empty ... including the money that just went into it from my payroll deduction yesterday. Several thou$and ... all gone. Oh well, somebody in Nigeria's probably pissing for joy right now.

They say bad things happen in threes ... I sure as hell hope so ... I can't afford anymore bad news for a while.

Thanks for listening.

... Bob (Grateful ... still)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: sometimes ya gotta just laugh ...

Post by Norris »

Wow Bob,

Hang in there man....

Lets hope that saying is accurate.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

jeez, bob. sorry to hear the news. well, look at it this way - you may be broke, but you'll be warm this winter and you and your dishes will be clean.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

And if you need anything, don't hesitate to say so!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Oh my.....I hope things get better and all can be figured out especially with your mom's account....seems like when it rains it pours huh???
I am a big beleiver that bad things happen in threes, as far as I can tell, you met your quota for the year.....

Hang in there...and at least on a cold rainy day like today you can be warm.
HUGS
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Grateful Diver wrote:.... The account me and two of my sibs set up to help pay my mom's medical bills got hacked ... it's empty ...
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Anything the bank can do to get the $ back?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:Coupla weeks ago my furnace crapped out on me. So I called the furnace doctor, he came and took a look and advised me it was time for a new one ... I figured OK, it's old, so's the hot water heater. So I replaced 'em both ... cost me almost $9K, cuz all the wiring and ductwork had to be replaced too (out of code or some such).

Three days after the new units went in my dishwasher died. Got a new one installed yesterday. Turns out all the plumbing had to be replaced too. The joys of old home ownership. Oh well ... it's only money.

Earlier today my sister called. The account me and two of my sibs set up to help pay my mom's medical bills got hacked ... it's empty ... including the money that just went into it from my payroll deduction yesterday. Several thou$and ... all gone. Oh well, somebody in Nigeria's probably pissing for joy right now.

They say bad things happen in threes ... I sure as hell hope so ... I can't afford anymore bad news for a while.

Thanks for listening.

... Bob (Grateful ... still)

Bob- Give me a call the next time you need work done on your house- I have an extensive list of people I trust- plumbers, electricians, hvac......I might be able to save you a few bucks. Sorry to hear about your run of luck....that sucks. I hope you really can laugh about it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Bob - give me a buzz over the weekend. I have friends who work on "that sort of thing." That may be a bank's problem.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Oh Grateful Diver, even in your mayhem and grief, you are a bright, peaceful, light-hearted spirit! Because I would be apoplectic at this point.

Peaceful energy to you and may it all resolve soon, with grace and ease!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, Bob, sorry to hear this!

Bad things never happen at convenient times.

I hope you can work out the issue with the bank account . . . seems as though the bank ought to have some liability there, since they are supposed to keep their accounts secure.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

That sucks, I just re-plumbed my house because the monthly repairs were getting pain. Nothing like your troubles but I hope that good fortune finds you after all this bad luck.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Hang in there Bob! I'm sending good wishes your way.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

How awful! I hereby declare that no more bad things are allowed to happen. So there.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Penopolypants wrote:How awful! I hereby declare that no more bad things are allowed to happen. So there.
i just stubbed my toe!!!! thats a 'bad thing' wuzzup with that?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sorry Bob.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sorry to hear about the bad things Bob. People on the board might wish to know that we are not only great dive buddies but can also be great friends as well. I just had to replace my own hot water heater and I did it myself. I always try to do the things that I know I can handle. Furnace is out of my league but a hot water heater and dish washer are pretty simple plumbing. Well, then there is I would not mess with a GAS water heater.Just cause GAS if not dont right could kill you.

I am sure that alot of people here are either great at DIY or at least know someone who can make it more affordable. Just wish to throw out a note to everyone that before you go giving your hard earned money away post it here and see if someone might be able to help on the cheap.
Jeff Castor
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Gotta be careful about that sort of thing. My town has an ordinance that you need a building permit and be licensed to install a water heater. One of our city council members thought it was ludicrous and did it DIY anyway. Well the city wasn't going to stand for that and they made an example out of him. It wasn't pretty.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Bob,

I do computer and network forensics for a living, let me know if I can help.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Regarding the bank thing... I'd guess it goes one of two ways
1) If the bank was compromised the bank pays.
2) If a visa/MC linked to the account was compromised then Visa/MC pays.

In either case you shouldn't be out any substantial $$, just the frustration and inconvenience. (Not to make light of the frustration and inconvenience, which is a PITA)
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

airsix wrote:Gotta be careful about that sort of thing. My town has an ordinance that you need a building permit and be licensed to install a water heater. One of our city council members thought it was ludicrous and did it DIY anyway. Well the city wasn't going to stand for that and they made an example out of him. It wasn't pretty.
OK now I must KEEEL everyone who reads this cause the city I live in are very ANAL about codes and permits. :chrisnjoe:

I beleive in the dont ask dont tell policy. I would never do anything that I did not feel comfortable with especially when safety comes in. I however have had so called licensed electricians do work and not do it properly.
Jeff Castor
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

airsix wrote:Regarding the bank thing... I'd guess it goes one of two ways
1) If the bank was compromised the bank pays.
2) If a visa/MC linked to the account was compromised then Visa/MC pays.

In either case you shouldn't be out any substantial $$, just the frustration and inconvenience. (Not to make light of the frustration and inconvenience, which is a PITA)

AND if the Credit card number was intercepted or phished your still only out $50 by law, same as a stolen Credit card...Visa and master card Debit cards count also, just so you know Bob.

If there is anything you need just let me know, I mean it Bob...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

We'll know more tomorrow (hopefully) ... but talking to my sister last night it appears that when she opened the account she did so in my mom's name ... and the bank sent a debit card to the nursing home my mom's staying at (with ... of course ... the PIN information to activate it).

Since mom's recovering from a stroke at the moment, it's pretty obvious that she ain't traipsin' around the malls using the thing ... but somebody is. My bet is that someone at the nursing home took some liberties.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Grateful Diver wrote:We'll know more tomorrow (hopefully) ... but talking to my sister last night it appears that when she opened the account she did so in my mom's name ... and the bank sent a debit card to the nursing home my mom's staying at (with ... of course ... the PIN information to activate it).

Since mom's recovering from a stroke at the moment, it's pretty obvious that she ain't traipsin' around the malls using the thing ... but somebody is. My bet is that someone at the nursing home took some liberties.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm sure you already did this but file a police report ASAP, and tell the bank card was stolen, she will get all the money back...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sorry to hear about your problems Bob but as a self employed caregiver it scares me to think someone caring for the elderly and disabled would do something like steal form them. I would definitely file a police report so that an investiagtion can be done.If they are willing to steal I am sure that they are not very good taking care of vunerable people. :angry:
Jeff Castor
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm real sorry to hear about your situation Bob. I hope at least the bank thing will resolve itself.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith