Coding/understanding help Buhlmann decompression model

General topics about technical diving.
gcbryan
Submariner

Coding/understanding help Buhlmann decompression model

Post by gcbryan »

If any of you have written a decompression program for Buhlmann's ZHL-16 algorithm using Erik Bakers GF for fun/learning and would like to help me a bit maybe you could shoot me a PM.

I'm not a "math guy" but I do understand decompression theory reasonably well and have read most of the oft quoted articles including Erik Baker's, "Clearing Up The Confusion About Deep-Stops". I understand the concepts verbally but not as well mathematically.

I started with an article by Paul Chapman in which he gives the basic equations for Buhlmann's ZHL-16 algorithm and gives some examples so that the reader can make sure they are using the equations correctly. After reading this I set up a spreadsheet and the numbers came out as expected as well.
After that I taught myself to program in Basic and I have a program that works without using Gradient Factors. I understand how GF works in the abstract at least.

The problem...when I look at Baker's GF article he gives two equations for ZHL-16 that aren't the ones I'm using. I'm sure they work and the differences are in writing the equations to include all mixed gases rather than just nitrogen (in my model) but again I'm not a math guy and I don't see how to use his modifications to the equations he cited in my equations (those equations from Paul Chapman's article).

If anyone has written a deco program for fun/learning using these equations and understands them well perhaps you would be able to explain to me how to incorporate GF using Bakers equations and my existing equations.

I'm using Pcomp and Pambtol. In the article he referenced Pt tol i.g. which I believe is the M value for an individual compartment and in his equation for Pambtol he references Pt i.g. rather than Pcomp.

(I understand VPM and RGBM are more modern theories but I'm starting with this one as a learning experience)

Thanks.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: Coding/understanding help Buhlmann decompression model

Post by Waynne Fowler »

So hows this going gc?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
gcbryan
Submariner

Re: Coding/understanding help Buhlmann decompression model

Post by gcbryan »

Waynne Fowler wrote:So hows this going gc?
I got the GF coding done without too much problem. I got stuck on another part but it's not due to not understanding the theory. It's more a matter of my novice coding skills!

As a learning experience it was successful even if I don't finish the program. So...it's on the back burner at the moment.