Anybody have an opinion about this?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Anybody have an opinion about this?

Post by BASSMAN »

This looks interesting, Just turn it on, strap it to your light or scooter and record entire dive.
Then edit later.
$179.99 for the Camera
$234.95 for the housing (includes Blue Water Filter)
414.94 :dontknow:
U2120W_01 Flip Video Ultra HD 120 min.jpg
U2120W_01 Flip Video Ultra HD 120 min.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Attachments
IK561002 Flip Video housing.jpg
IK561002 Flip Video housing.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Anybody have an opinion about this?

Post by Nwbrewer »

BASSMAN wrote:This looks interesting, Just turn it on, strap it to your light or scooter and record entire dive.
Then edit later.
$179.99 for the Camera
$234.95 for the housing (includes Blue Water Filter)
414.94 :dontknow:
U2120W_01 Flip Video Ultra HD 120 min.jpg
Why not just get a little Canon P&S, a housing, and 8 gig card and do the same thing. It's will cost you less, and the camera is better.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

I have been looking very closely at the new cases Ikelites has. The most recent one is for the JVC Picsio that records 1080P/30fps HD. I am thinking about buying it for Julie to use. They would be great for both above and below the water!
Life is good, let's dive!!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

What are the video specs on the Canon you are suggesting, Jake?

Kieth, I'm glad you started this thread because I'm on a mission to put together a pocket-size macro-video rig. Another contender is the Kodak Zi8. 60fpm @ 720p or 30fpm at 1080. In vimeo posts the 720 @ 60 looks pretty good. It also has a macro mode and the biggie - image stabilization. Don't know if there is an UW housing available.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Here is footage shot with the video rig Kieth started the thread about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTcSMxze ... r_embedded

(I chose to post link instead of embed so you can see it full size. Be sure to check HQ mode. I click play to start it buffering and then pause until it's fully downloaded before resuming for best playback.)

You're not going to shoot IMAX quality video with this thing, but for a package the size of a Pop-Tart I'd say the output is spectacular. What surprises me the most is how well it holds focus when panning. Granted the operator is doing a great job panning slowly and holding the cam steady, but it's still some of the best results I've seen from a pocket video cam.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

This is the link for the JVC setup.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/jvc_fm1.html
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Unless it has an on-off button editing starts to get really annoying. Wading through 1+hrs of "footage" to get to the segments you actually want is frustrating. This is a minor nit I know but I'm familar with this issue from my X-CSI cam :breakdance:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/jvcs ... -real-200/

engadget review. Not too shabby if you ask me.

D(B)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Now if we only had water like that to shoot in!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

The resolution and framerate in that video looked pretty nice. But was it just me or were the colors underwater digitally enhanced in a mojor way?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:The resolution and framerate in that video looked pretty nice. But was it just me or were the colors underwater digitally enhanced in a mojor way?
They do look kind of harsh at times. I don't know if it's the camera, the filtering, or post-processing. But you have to admit that for a package that small it does pretty good.
Nomad
Just Settling In

Post by Nomad »

I have this camera and can tell you it's pretty cool. Impressive amount of technology for what you are paying. I like it because you can either use the rechargeable batteries that come with it (recharged via USB) or use standard AA (rechargeable or not) and its super simple to use - push the button to record, push the button to stop. Got it for my kids to use and they have fun with it. Also does great in low light which means it should do well underwater. Makes me want to get a housing and try it out...

Nomad
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

ive been looking at this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-High-Definition- ... %26ps%3D63

and this one ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Full-HD-1080p-D ... 53dd956376

Here is the JVC on Ebay ... not bad for the Underwater Housing and the controll buttons.. Plus a wide angle lens for it ..
http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Picsio-SD-SDHC- ... 4ceb826421
Last edited by H20doctor on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

That first one looks interesting. I love the form-factor. With the rear-facing LCD and rear-facing controls you could grab some bulkhead control pieces from the Ikelite catalog and have an UW housing built in a single Saturday. But... I can't find ANY info on this camera. No reviews, nothing on youtube, nothing on vimeo...
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ya I know Ben, that first ones a mystery ? But they only go for 200 and under on ebay... They are made By Vero an electronics company

http://www.verotronics.com
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Maybe someone can log into their ebay account and send a message to user "peejder" who bought one recently (as seen in seller's feedback) and ask how they like it, how's the battery life, does it have image stabilization..... etc.

I can't do it because my wife will see the email/reply and think I'm looking at this for her birthday (which is in 2 days). She's actually getting a Kodak Zi8. If she sees the email she'll figure out "he's looking at camcorders. i'm getting a camcorder."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

DiverBob wrote:This is the link for the JVC setup.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/jvc_fm1.html
That JVC looks like a slick unit and the price is good but Ikelite sez not available till Nov. :tappingfoot: :tappingfoot:
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Ikelite has a video up using the JVC Picsio, looks very good.
http://www.ikelite.com/downloads/video/ ... ayman.html