P&S UW Camera...

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

P&S UW Camera...

Post by Scubak »

Ok,
I am getting soooo confused. I have the wonderful Casio Z1000 and am wanting to upgrade to 12mp. I am not finding any of the new casios with UW housings. I saw where Calvin had tried the new Casio and didn't like it. Can anyone help?
Also looking at the Canons, the SD models and with that will go with probably an Ike housing since Canon housings have such poor reviews.
I would appreciate all advice related to this subject.
Can we keep it on topic so I don't have to wade through a bunch of BS?
Thanks,
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: P&S UW Camera...

Post by Scubak »

Oh! Also!!!
I saw somewhere where the Canon SD960 was not compatible with Vista? Is this true?
K
"Let's go diving!"
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I'm a fan of Ikelight housings and higher end point and shoot cameras. Like the Canon G11 or the Nikon Coolpix 6000, as they have strobe hot shoes and make strobe exposure so much easier. Canon is coming out with a nice upgrade to its S series with S90 in November (although it doesn't have a hot shoe).
'
Pixel count alone is not the way to judge a camera. You want a good quality lens that has a decent wide angle and controls that don't require you to negotiate lots of menus (i.e., buttons and knobs are best!). Most cameras today are 10 mgp, and that's plenty. To get a noticeable difference in image quality above 10mgp you'd have to get a 24+ mgp camera and that would be very expensive.

Let us know what you decide on!
Dan Hershman :smt024
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubak wrote:Oh! Also!!!
I saw somewhere where the Canon SD960 was not compatible with Vista? Is this true?
K
No , the Canon SD960 works fine with vista. You don't want to use the Canon software that comes with the camera anyway. And as of thursday we can all run out and buy the latest Windows version, Windows 7. :bounce:
Dan Hershman :smt024
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

K ... take a look at that new Panasonic P&S with the Leica lens ... someone wrote a review in here a while back about it.

I was out at Salt Creek with Kricket a couple weeks back and she has one ... I was blown away by the pictures she was getting with it. Head and shoulders above anything I ever got with the Casio.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dphershman wrote:
Scubak wrote:Oh! Also!!!
K
No , the Canon SD960 works fine with vista. You don't want to use the Canon software that comes with the camera anyway. And as of thursday we can all run out and buy the latest Windows version, Windows 7. :bounce:
And start all over again from scratch! Ain't high tech great!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

All of the Canon cameras do fine with vista although the movie format on the HD models might give you so fits. The only software from Canon that I use is the direct camera download. Other than that you don't need anything else.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If you like the SD series cameras the new SD990 is really hot and has a compact Ikelite housing available.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'm loving my new Sony WX1 that I just got. The Sony housing (made by Sea & Sea) is very nice and very compact. Sea & Sea also makes a variety of accessory lenses and a tray/arm combo for the housing also......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Dusty2 wrote:If you like the SD series cameras the new SD990 is really hot and has a compact Ikelite housing available.
I have the SD990 and am very happy with it. The Ikelite housing is a major upgrade over a previous camera I had with a Canon housing. The SD 990 is a great camera, but it doen't shoot RAW. The G10 is a big step up in quality of photos. The SD990 fit my price range and I am really enjoying the learnng curve of taking underwater pictures.

My next purchase is the wide angle lens. On a recent tropical trip I really wish I would have had a wider angle.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

blackwater wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:If you like the SD series cameras the new SD990 is really hot and has a compact Ikelite housing available.
I have the SD990 and am very happy with it. The Ikelite housing is a major upgrade over a previous camera I had with a Canon housing. The SD 990 is a great camera, but it doen't shoot RAW. The G10 is a big step up in quality of photos. The SD990 fit my price range and I am really enjoying the learnng curve of taking underwater pictures.

My next purchase is the wide angle lens. On a recent tropical trip I really wish I would have had a wider angle.
You might do some investigation before you buy a wide angle lens. I have read that they do little or nothing on these P&S cameras.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Just about anything by Canon is good, and if you can afford the Ikelite housing, even better. I used a Casio Z1050 for a while and wasn't all that impressed with it.

As for being compatible with Vista, the easy way to be sure about that is to just pull out the SD card and put it in a card reader to hook to your computer (my new laptop has an SD card slot built in). Then it's just another drive to Windblows.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks to everyone for your replies...
But...
I don't want a strobe and arms...
I just want a point and shoot that takes pics...for me.
Tim has the beast, so anything that I want a great pic of..he can do it with the beast.
I just like a point and shoot.
Keep the recommendations coming as I will be looking at these and trying to decide.
K
"Let's go diving!"
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i'm thinking canon S90, just P+S with no strobes or anything...
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Check out this link for a Fuji camera setup. http://www.opticaloceansales.com/fuji-c ... d_318.html Jack will be able to answer all of the questions you have. He is very quick to respond to emails. Be sure to click on the link for the test dive under product information. Good luck in the search!
Life is good, let's dive!!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

How about this guy? Small compact, uncomplicated and less than $400.00 complete
http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/nik_l20pkg.html
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Scubak wrote:Thanks to everyone for your replies...
But...
I don't want a strobe and arms...
I just want a point and shoot that takes pics...for me.
Tim has the beast, so anything that I want a great pic of..he can do it with the beast.
I just like a point and shoot.
Keep the recommendations coming as I will be looking at these and trying to decide.
K
None of us 3 has ever used a strobe and we get great pictures with our Canon A630's. I'm sure the newer models will do just as well, you just need to make sure the flash diffuser is on! (inside joke; mine came off twice during a recent dive at Les Davis and I got some...interesting shots.)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dwashbur wrote:
None of us 3 has ever used a strobe and we get great pictures with our Canon A630's. I'm sure the newer models will do just as well, you just need to make sure the flash diffuser is on! (inside joke; mine came off twice during a recent dive at Les Davis and I got some...interesting shots.)
Dave, If you have one of the newer Canon cases where the the :angry: defusser comes off waaaay to easy. snap it in place then put a bead of clear silicone caulk on the back side to make it stay on.