Who's your LDS and Why??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Geek
Pelagic

Re: Who's your LDS and Why??

Post by Geek »

scottsax wrote:
Geek wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:You know what would be cool? To have a ratemydiveshop.com - sorta like ratemyprofessor.com

Stars would be given for various things:
Price
Course offerings
Staff knowledge
Friendly
Courtesy
Airfills
what else?

And people could rate (anonymously) and make comments about their experiences.

Dunno how to set that up...but it would be cool and would be a flame-retardant way to get the information out there to the diving public. Whaddya think?

- Janna

Couldn't we do a poll with sub catagories in it for each LDS? mods?? :smt064

Seems like it would help the NWDC members make a choice AND help LDS improve there service...
Something like this?
I like that but I was hoping that we could break down each shop into Fills, stock, price, helpfulness, you know all those things we look for in a shop, that way every shop owner that looks at it can see where they need to improve and we as in all of us can look for the shops that have the ratings in the stuff we need...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Geek wrote:I like that but I was hoping that we could break down each shop into Fills, stock, price, helpfulness, you know all those things we look for in a shop, that way every shop owner that looks at it can see where they need to improve and we as in all of us can look for the shops that have the ratings in the stuff we need...
Hmmm... that's something I don't think this site in it's current configuration will support, or if it will, I don't know how to do it. It's a good idea, though. Sort of a yelp.com for scuba...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

scottsax wrote:
Geek wrote:I like that but I was hoping that we could break down each shop into Fills, stock, price, helpfulness, you know all those things we look for in a shop, that way every shop owner that looks at it can see where they need to improve and we as in all of us can look for the shops that have the ratings in the stuff we need...
Hmmm... that's something I don't think this site in it's current configuration will support, or if it will, I don't know how to do it. It's a good idea, though. Sort of a yelp.com for scuba...
I just think that something like that would be a lot of help for improving our LDS's and let us be informed when we are all on the road going to that new snazzy dive site.... :thumb3d:

AND it would keep the Flaming/trashing/name calling down, Vote and rate without being seen kind of thing...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I can honestly say I haven't had a really bad experience at a shop in the area yet. Granted I've only been to a few, but overall I think we're blessed with an abundance of good shops. The ones I've been to are A2Z, Lighthouse (both Tacoma and Seattle), Underwater Sports (Federal Way, Seattle and Edmonds), Sound Dive in Bremerton, and that little shop in the back of the bike shop in Port Angeles. I haven't been to Tacoma Scuba; the one time we tried to go there, they were closed because the tides & currents were unusually outstanding that day so they all headed out to Day Island Wall to dive while they could. I can't really fault them for that!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Tacoma Scuba all the way.

Reason number one:
Wally let me see his air spread. We walked through it, and I saw how many inline filters he has, along with the condition of his equipment. A lot of dive shops refuse to show you their spread because it's "unsafe, and in the employees only section of the store." If it's unsafe for me to see it, it's unsafe to fill my bottles there. Period.

Reason number two:
As I was coming over from the commercial world, my view of diving, and dive math was just different enough from the Scuba world to make some things confusing. These guys understood that, and would translate certain things to me, so it all became untangled.

Reason number three:
Pricing. Most of the shops I've gone in to price gouge. Wally and Josh want to make money, of course, but they seem to be quite interested in getting you in the water on your budget.
This means that they do not sell me a $900.00 light, when I don't even have a dry suit yet. As I'm a shopper, and when I get money, it seems to go, these guys were restrained enough to tell me I didn't need something just yet, and I'd be better off getting something that is more imperative for just being able to dive, period.

Reason number four:
Home brewed beer.

Reason number five:
They aren't anal about diving. Like me, they just like getting their heads wet, and love to learn everything they can about it, to be able to do it, and show others how to as well.

D(B)
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

My favorite shop is Tacoma SCUBA :partydance:

Just so you know the main reason I opened Tacoma SCUBA was, I didn't like the way I was treated in the local shops.
That is the reason I run Tacoma SCUBA so layed back. Diving should be FUN! It does NOT matter what type of gear you dive, as long as it is safe. Enough of the soap box talk. :blah: Let's go diving!
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Tacoma Scuba.....

Both BEFORE and AFTER my OWC I hit most of the local dive shops in the area to look and see what was out there, to see what kind of service I would receive and to ask lots of questions. Needless to say, Tacoma Scuba was the only place that didn't make it about a sale. Instead they educated me, loaned me some equipment, offered suggestions and worked with me on making my dives as happy and warm and comfortable as could be. They have helped me acquire some equipment in MY PRICE RANGE or worked with me so I could get what was realistic and best for what I wanted.....and THE best part is they have educated me in the process. In addition, they always spoke to ME and answered my questions no matter how dumb. Not once was I "the dumb newbie." They always have a warm welcome, they make you feel right at home, and their customer serice rocks....

As a result, I have nothing but great things to say about Wally and Josh at Tacoma Scuba and would recommend them to anyone in a heart beat....

Big Hugs to those two!!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:I agree, but I think we probably ought to wait until the mod-team is back at full strength. There isn't enough Jameson's in Seattle for Nailer to handle it alone.

Thanks for that, Doug. Yes, please- we don't like people writing negative stuff about shops, because no matter which shop you're talking about, I can guarantee there's somebody that hates it. We've seen some discusions turn very ugly very fast this way.

Of course, if someone has a specific problem with a shop, and chooses to write about it here- we'll look at those on a case-by-case basis. Fishstiq had a bad experience with a notoriously dishonest "dive shop" a while back that got written up, and that was OK. He had pictures and evidence and stuff, and it was an entertaining read. But just saying something like: "I don't like Ignatious Scuba Supply because the guys that work there are all jerks and their prices are too high and the owner was mean to me!" isn't OK.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

My vote is for Seven Seas Scuba in Vancouver. Like Janna said, great folks that just wanna dive and take you with. The shop looks great, friendly, knowledgeable people, good service and best of all; it's really close to me. I've had nothing but really positive experiences there and they haven't tried to stuff me with gear I didn't need.

Plus, they like beer and Billy plays drums like nobody else :)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

I've had noteworthy experience with three shops and so far, they've all been mentioned!

Capital Divers is awesome, where I first learned to be a diver! It's in Olympia and they are absolutely fabuliscious! CANNOT recommend them highly enough!

NWSD was where I got my AOW, not because Capital Divers' wasn't perfect, but because of proximity to Matt's house and timing. Although I felt like a total traitor to CD, it was a great experience! Matt, Bdub, and Jeanna were our instructors and they were outstanding! Traitorous or not, it was an excellent experience.

A2Z - just bought a used drysuit there and they could not have been more helpful or on the up and up.

So far, I've had no bad experiences, but mostly that's because I've gotten my advice from people who've already been through the wringer with others.

Neat!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:You know, I'm just curious - why don't we want to hear the bad as well as the good? Aren't we painting a lopsided picture if we only sing praises of shops? I'd sure want to get the heads-up regarding customer service, professionalism, friendliness and price from other divers.

I suspect that since many of the shop owners are also our friends, we're afraid to hear anything bad about them. However, if the poor experience is related here in a non-flaming manner, what's the objection to hearing it?

And FWIW, I've consistently had poor experiences at Aquatic Sports in Portland as well.

- Janna
I agree, but I think we probably ought to wait until the mod-team is back at full strength. There isn't enough Jameson's in Seattle for Nailer to handle it alone.
Wuss
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Joshua Smith wrote:Fishstiq had a bad experience with a notoriously dishonest "dive shop" a while back that got written up, and that was OK. He had pictures and evidence and stuff, and it was an entertaining read.
I was wondering if that was going to come up (twss).

I will publicly and gladly denounce that "dive shop" to anyone I can, in any appropriate forum. This thread, IMO, is not an appropriate forum.

It can also be unfair to have a rating system or forum where the shop cannot defend itself. Have a relationship with anyone for long enough and they will piss you off at some point, that doesn't always make it the other persons fault. The day you go into the shop and they are "jerks" might be the same day your boss gave you extra work, your spouse was on your case, your car broke down or a million other things.

My LDS is NWSD, but I think everyone here already knows that. When I first went to NWSD, as a total n00b, I made several blatant insults and inconsiderate gestures. Matthew let them all slide without so much as a say-so, and I never knew how much of an @$$ I was being until I grew up substantially in the dive community and was able to reflect on things. That impressed me a great deal. It let me kow that wether we agree or not, Matthew and his staff are making an honest effort to come from a good place and nurture good, honest repoir with their customers and dive buddies.

..........and they have helium. :smt038
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Ft. Lewis Scuba, closest to house and no tax at the til. Bad thing no Nitrox.
A2Z and Tacoma scuba are the next closest,I'm going to have to drive the extra 20mins and check them out based on the previous posts.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Interesting thread for what has been written -- and especially what has not been written. I'd also be interested in how many of the "my LDS" decisions are based in large part (not necessarily in full part) on distance -- that is, is there some maximum distance you use to determine "my LDS." Even though there might be one closer, "my LDS" is close enough and so distance becomes a significant, but not controlling, factor.

I have two "My LDS's" -- one that hasn't been mention yet, Bubbles Below. Why? Two reasons, it is ridiculously close to my house (5 minutes) and I teach out of the shop. BUT, I don't get fills there; I don't buy much gear there --- hmmm, maybe it is not really "my LDS."

OTOH, NWSD is where I get my fills, where I buy some of my gear (of the gear I've bought from a store the last few years it has been through NWSD). It is definately within the close enough category and the all-you-can-eat Nitrox is the key.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

My LDS is Capital Divers... not because I work there and am partners in the shop but because our customers ROCK... if it wasn't for the customers I'd go work at McDonalds for the flexible schedule so I could get in the water more.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Tropic Thunder
Just Settling In

Post by Tropic Thunder »

I had an opinion; I wrote about it; nobody has been hurt.

I don't see the problem. It's a discussion board on the internet -- you may read something you don't like. Deal with it.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

But you didn't say who your LDS is now....do you have a shop you go to now for stuff you like?
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

I don't like Ignatious Scuba Supply because the guys that work there are all jerks and their prices are too high and the owner was mean to me!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Paulicarp wrote:I don't like Ignatious Scuba Supply because the guys that work there are all jerks and their prices are too high and the owner was mean to me!

Well I talked to Ignatious and he said you came in there acting like a Jerk placing outlandish demands like asking for "prices" and "information" - clearly you had it coming.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Peter Guy wrote:Interesting thread for what has been written -- and especially what has not been written. I'd also be interested in how many of the "my LDS" decisions are based in large part (not necessarily in full part) on distance -- that is, is there some maximum distance you use to determine "my LDS." Even though there might be one closer, "my LDS" is close enough and so distance becomes a significant, but not controlling, factor.
Tacoma Scuba and Lighthouse are both an equal distance from my house. TS is my main. I won't get air from LH. I do go there to get parts serviced that can't be done at TS (rare). I also go to beef with Randy because he's good people.

D(B)
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:he said you came in there acting like a Jerk
That's actually pretty generous of him. Most people know I'm not acting!
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

I'm voting for NWSD. Matthew has always matched the best prices in town! And no arragance..
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

we drive 100 miles to get to our lds. air happens at a few places, but capital divers are our #1. tacoma scuba is even further, but is also awesome!
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Underwater Sports, Seattle

Why?

Cause the staff is always pleasant and polite, from the owners all the way to the part timer who works 2 days a month. They rebuild my regs well and expeditiously. They'll hydro my 6cuft argon bottles with almost next day service. They fill my argon while I wait, they'll fill my doubles with nitrox either while i wait or by end of day if it's busy.... They have a pool they'll rent out quite inexpensive for demo days, classes, refreshers (this is a big deal in seattle where the city pools are not fond of divers) even if you are not a PADI instructor. They unfailingly have whatever widget, gasket, o-ring, spare part it is i'm looking for, and if it's something that i'm not quite sure what I need, Danny has the experience in the industry to know what it is. i.e. the gasket for an old halcyon inflator elbow... Its a copy of someone elses, so voila! spare part! I didn't know... OR the time I went in asking if they had "just the back" of a sitec/DUI inflator so I could experiment with the dremel so I could hook up my 'thru-inflator conversion ring' suit heater wiring... and instead of charging me an arm and a leg, Danny threw it at me and said "let us know how it turns out!"

They have NEVER given me a hard time for diving "DIR" or said "yer gonna die" for diving a rebreather... They just make pleasant small talk and fill my tanks... oh ya, and they bank 50% :)

so.. thats why i call them my LDS.

They are not a tech store, they are not a DIR store, they don't have rebreathers on the floor and the only scooter looks like a bumble bee ;) (so those who know me might be surprised that I go there) ...they are a recreational shop that is doing the best they can in this less than ideal landscape that has become the retail diving industry.

oh ya, and if yer in a pinch, they rent DUI drysuits. :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Oh, one more reason for TS... their air spread. It's pretty badass (as of now).

D(B)